1611 King James Bible

Martin Mueller

Is there a free  digital version of the 1611 King James Bible in its original spelling? The TCP doesn’t have it. The Oxford Text Archive has a version in  standardized spelling.  At http://kingjamesbibleonline.org there is an original spelling version, and it is aligned with good images (which appear to come from Penn), but you can’t download it as a whole, though you could get it chapter by chapter, which would be pretty tedious.

Re: 1611 King James Bible

Misha Broughton
Could you script the downloads with wget or something similar?

Misha

Is there a free  digital version of the 1611 King James Bible in its original spelling? The TCP doesn’t have it. The Oxford Text Archive has a version in  standardized spelling.  At http://kingjamesbibleonline.org there is an original spelling version, and it is aligned with good images (which appear to come from Penn), but you can’t download it as a whole, though you could get it chapter by chapter, which would be pretty tedious.

Re: 1611 King James Bible

Estes, Heide
Would EEBO do or do you need it converted to text?

----------------------
Heide Estes
Professor of English
Monmouth University
West Long Branch, NJ

On Mar 17, 2017, at 6:44 PM, Misha Broughton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Could you script the downloads with wget or something similar?

Misha

Is there a free  digital version of the 1611 King James Bible in its original spelling? The TCP doesn’t have it. The Oxford Text Archive has a version in  standardized spelling.  At http://kingjamesbibleonline.org there is an original spelling version, and it is aligned with good images (which appear to come from Penn), but you can’t download it as a whole, though you could get it chapter by chapter, which would be pretty tedious.

Re: 1611 King James Bible

Martin Mueller

That’s beyond my technical paygrade, though perhaps I could learn how to do this. I worry more about its being ethical, especially when the text is the Bible! On the other hand, if it’s legal and I can get the technical chops that may be what I’ll end up doing. The Hathi Trust has a Bible printed in Cambridge in the 1630’s and it is unquestionably an edition of the Authorized Version. But the underlying OCR is mainly garbage.

From: Misha Broughton <[hidden email]>
Date: Friday, March 17, 2017 at 5:39 PM
To: Martin Mueller <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: 1611 King James Bible

Could you script the downloads with wget or something similar?

Misha

Is there a free  digital version of the 1611 King James Bible in its original spelling? The TCP doesn’t have it. The Oxford Text Archive has a version in  standardized spelling.  At http://kingjamesbibleonline.org there is an original spelling version, and it is aligned with good images (which appear to come from Penn), but you can’t download it as a whole, though you could get it chapter by chapter, which would be pretty tedious.

Re: 1611 King James Bible

Peter Flynn-8

On 17 March 2017 22:14:47 Martin Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a free  digital version of the 1611 King James Bible in its original spelling? The TCP doesn’t have it. The Oxford Text Archive has a version in  standardized spelling.  At http://kingjamesbibleonline.org there is an original spelling version, and it is aligned with good images (which appear to come from Penn), but you can’t download it as a whole, though you could get it chapter by chapter, which would be pretty tedious.

That should be doable with wget -r

///Peter

Re: 1611 King James Bible

Lou Burnard-6
The problem is not hoovering up the contents of the website. Its making something useful out of the resulting pile of nonstandard multiply redundant JavaScript infested pseudo html.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

On 17 March 2017 22:14:47 Martin Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a free  digital version of the 1611 King James Bible in its original spelling? The TCP doesn’t have it. The Oxford Text Archive has a version in  standardized spelling.  At http://kingjamesbibleonline.org there is an original spelling version, and it is aligned with good images (which appear to come from Penn), but you can’t download it as a whole, though you could get it chapter by chapter, which would be pretty tedious.

That should be doable with wget -r

///Peter

Re: 1611 King James Bible

Martin Mueller

Indeed. But it’s still a somewhat less Augean task than cleaning up the totally mucked up OCR with an otherwise quite nice set of images from a Cambridge imprint of the King James Bible from the 1630’s.

From: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list" <[hidden email]> on behalf of Lou Burnard <[hidden email]>
Date: Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 8:05 AM
To: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list" <[hidden email]>

The problem is not hoovering up the contents of the website. Its making something useful out of the resulting pile of nonstandard multiply redundant JavaScript infested pseudo html.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

On 17 March 2017 22:14:47 Martin Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a free  digital version of the 1611 King James Bible in its original spelling? The TCP doesn’t have it. The Oxford Text Archive has a version in  standardized spelling.  At http://kingjamesbibleonline.org there is an original spelling version, and it is aligned with good images (which appear to come from Penn), but you can’t download it as a whole, though you could get it chapter by chapter, which would be pretty tedious.

That should be doable with wget -r

///Peter

Re: 1611 King James Bible

Ethically or not, I went ahead and did it anyway.

The Word of the Lord is now available in a pure TEI form, available for free download at https://github.com/lb42/KJV_1611/

I'll add more documentation of the process in due course.