2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting

2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting

Dalmau, Michelle Denise
The TEI Consortium Board of Directors is pleased to announce the next two TEI Conferences and Members’ Meetings.

In 2018, the University of Tokyo in Tokyo, Japan will host the TEI Conference and Members’ Meeting alongside the annual Japanese Association for Digital Humanities Conference.  The dates for the TEI Conference and Members’ Meeting are 9-13 September 2018.

In 2019,  the University of Graz in Graz, Austria will host the TEI Conference and Members’ Meeting.  The dates for the Conference and Members’ Meeting are 16-20 September 2019

For those of you attending the 2017 Conference and Members’ Meeting, representatives from the University of Tokyo and University of Graz will present a teaser for each event.

We would like to thank those you who submitted competitive proposals to host the 2018 and 2019 conference and members’ meeting.  All the proposals were excellent, and made for a difficult decision for the Board.

We look forward to seeing you in Tokyo in 2018 and in Graz in 2019.

Best wishes,
Michelle Dalmau
on behalf of the Board of Directors

Re: 2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting

Martin Mueller
Am I the only one who is a little puzzled about the five-year run of TEI conferences (2015-19) where only one of them takes place in North America?

Martin Mueller
Professor emeritus of English and Classics
Northwestern University

Michelle Dalmau
on behalf of the Board of Directors

Re: 2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting

Burghart Marjorie
Sorry, doesn't Canada count as North America?

Michelle Dalmau
on behalf of the Board of Directors

Re: 2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting

Burghart Marjorie
Ah apologies, I misread your post. Well, Europe will have 3 years without a TEI conference, between Autumn 2016 and Autumn 2019. Ah well. I guess there are 5 continents and we all have to live with the fact :)

Michelle Dalmau
on behalf of the Board of Directors

Re: 2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting

David Farmer

Counting continents, North America would occur every 5 years.

Counting population, every 20 years.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017, Marjorie Burghart wrote:

> Ah apologies, I misread your post. Well, Europe will have 3 years
> without a TEI conference, between Autumn 2016 and Autumn 2019. Ah well.
> I guess there are 5 continents and we all have to live with the fact :)

Hi Martin,

If you look at it another way, we'll have:

2016: Europe
2017: North America
2018: Asia
2019: Europe

and we would expect 2020 to be back in North America, assuming it's not
travelling to another area such as Australasia.

On 2017-09-13 06:02 PM, Martin Mueller wrote:

> Am I the only one who is a little puzzled about the five-year run of TEI
> conferences (2015-19) where only one of them takes place in North America?
>

> Martin Mueller
> Professor emeritus of English and Classics
> Northwestern University
>
> From: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list"
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> on behalf
> of "Dalmau, Michelle Denise" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Date: Monday, September 11, 2017 at 07:56
> To: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list"
> Subject: 2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting
>
> The TEI Consortium Board of Directors is pleased to announce the next
> two TEI Conferences and Members’ Meetings.
>
> In 2018, the University of Tokyo in Tokyo, Japan will host the TEI
> Conference and Members’ Meeting alongside the annual Japanese
> Association for Digital Humanities Conference.  The dates for the TEI
> Conference and Members’ Meeting are *9-13 September 2018*.
>
> In 2019,  the University of Graz in Graz, Austria will host the TEI
> Conference and Members’ Meeting.  The dates for the Conference and
> Members’ Meeting are *16-20 September 2019*.
>
> For those of you attending the 2017 Conference and Members’ Meeting,
> representatives from the University of Tokyo and University of Graz will
> present a teaser for each event.
>
> *We would like to thank those you who submitted competitive proposals*
> to host the 2018 and 2019 conference and members’ meeting.  All the
> proposals were excellent, and made for a difficult decision for the Board.
>
> We look forward to seeing you in Tokyo in 2018 and in Graz in 2019.
>
> Best wishes,
> Michelle Dalmau
> on behalf of the Board of Directors

Re: 2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting

Martin Mueller
Yes, but you have to start from 2015 for this story to make sense. I’m a bread-and-butter person when it comes to institutional matters, and I think it’s important for a Board to have a clear sense of its constituencies and allocate burdens in a reasonably fair manner. The TEI has a practice (explicitly stated as not a strict rule) of alternating its members meetings between Europe and America because that’s where the members are.  According to the current membership information  (http://members.tei-c.org/Subscribers), which may not be totally up to date, all the 113 individual members and 41 of the 43 institutional members come from Europe or North America.

Overseas travel is expensive in terms of money and time, and overseas venue reduces access for the folks on the other side of whatever pond. While alternation has not been a strict rule it was followed without exception until 2016. I was on the Board that made the decision to have the meeting in Vienna when it had been in Lyon the previous year. There were good practical reasons for doing this. But when you have good reasons for departing from custom on one occasion  you want to have even better reasons if you change it the next year as well. The Board decided to have the 2018 meeting in Tokyo.  That is a proper but risky decision. It increases the time/money costs for everybody.  On the other hand, the gamble may pay off if it succeeds in giving the TEI a foothold in another continent In  an increasingly interdependent I am all in favour of giving the TEI a more global presence.

But having taken a risky step in one year it would have been wise for the Board to be cautious and return to custom the following year. It didn’t but created a situation in which in a five-year span only one meeting is held in the key North American constituency. There is a big difference between a soccer score  of 2:3 and 1:4.   As I looked through the membership list I was struck by the fact how few of the individual members come from R1 institutions with relatively deep pockets.  They draw modest salaries and the spare change of their institutions is very spare indeed.  For many of them the Board decision seriously diminishes access for a non-trivial span of time.

You want to be global, but you want to keep in touch with your base, and I fault the Board for not having been sufficiently in that regard.

Martin Mueller

    On 2017-09-13 06:02 PM, Martin Mueller wrote:
    > Am I the only one who is a little puzzled about the five-year run of TEI
    > conferences (2015-19) where only one of them takes place in North America?
    >
    >
    > Martin Mueller
    > Professor emeritus of English and Classics
    > Northwestern University
    >
    > From: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list"
    > <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> on behalf
    > of "Dalmau, Michelle Denise" <[hidden email]
    > <mailto:[hidden email]>>
    > Date: Monday, September 11, 2017 at 07:56
    > To: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list"
    > Subject: 2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting
    >
    > The TEI Consortium Board of Directors is pleased to announce the next
    > two TEI Conferences and Members’ Meetings.
    >
    > In 2018, the University of Tokyo in Tokyo, Japan will host the TEI
    > Conference and Members’ Meeting alongside the annual Japanese
    > Association for Digital Humanities Conference.  The dates for the TEI
    > Conference and Members’ Meeting are *9-13 September 2018*.
    >
    > In 2019,  the University of Graz in Graz, Austria will host the TEI
    > Conference and Members’ Meeting.  The dates for the Conference and
    > Members’ Meeting are *16-20 September 2019*.
    >
    > For those of you attending the 2017 Conference and Members’ Meeting,
    > representatives from the University of Tokyo and University of Graz will
    > present a teaser for each event.
    >
    > *We would like to thank those you who submitted competitive proposals*
    > to host the 2018 and 2019 conference and members’ meeting.  All the
    > proposals were excellent, and made for a difficult decision for the Board.
    >
    > We look forward to seeing you in Tokyo in 2018 and in Graz in 2019.
    >
    > Best wishes,
    > Michelle Dalmau
    > on behalf of the Board of Directors

Re: 2018 and 2019 TEI Conference and Members' Meeting

Martin Holmes
Hi Martin,

> The Board decided to have the 2018 meeting in Tokyo.  That is a
> proper but risky decision. It increases the time/money costs for
> everybody.

It absolutely does not. It increases the costs for people who are
further away from Japan, and reduces the costs for those who are closer.
The TEI is an international consortium, and I for one am delighted that
Japan will be hosting; there's a vibrant and growing community of TEI
users in Japan.

Wherever the conference is held, it will be distant for some people and
close for others. One reason the base of members is currently quite
geographically restricted is surely that the conference is usually held
far from any potential East Asian or Australasian members. We
desperately need more members from those constituencies as we try to
address the significant difficulties involved in encoding texts from
written in non-European scripts. I think we've put a great deal of time
and effort into early modern European print documents, but the world is
bigger than that and I would really like to see more work from outside
that domain.