Articles in jTEI do not validate against tei_jtei

Articles in jTEI do not validate against tei_jtei

tardigradae

Dear list members,

I just downloaded a number of recent articles from the Journal of the TEI as TEI XML files and was surprised to find that they do not validate against the schema tei_jtei.rng specifically designed for this journal. Particularly, the <seriesStmt> used to record bibliographic information on jTEI itself caused validation errors. Where to report this bug?

All the best,

Till

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Till Grallert
Research Associate
Project Jarāʾid: A Chronology of Nineteenth Century Arabic Periodicals

Re: Articles in jTEI do not validate against tei_jtei

Martin Holmes
Thanks for the report, Till. We'll check into it. You could have
reported it to the journal contact email, but I think everyone on the
journal is also on this list.

All the best,
Martin

On 16-01-21 02:42 AM, Till Grallert wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I just downloaded a number of recent articles from the Journal of the
> TEI as TEI XML files and was surprised to find that they do not validate
> against the schema tei_jtei.rng specifically designed for this journal.
> Particularly, the <seriesStmt> used to record bibliographic information
> on jTEI itself caused validation errors. Where to report this bug?
>
> All the best,
>
> Till
>

> –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
> Till Grallert
> Research Associate
> Orient-Institut Beirut <http://www.orient-institut.org/>
> Digital Muqtabas <https://github.com/tillgrallert/digital-muqtabas>
> Project Jarāʾid: A Chronology of Nineteenth Century Arabic Periodicals
> <http://www.zmo.de/jaraid>

Re: Articles in jTEI do not validate against tei_jtei

ron.vandenbranden
Administrator
Dear Till,

First off, as the jTEI technical editor I can assure you the files are
valid against the latest jTEI schema. You haven't provided much
information about your validation context, but I assume you are
validating the files with the bundled TEI framework in Oxygen. I have
looked into the jTEI schemas shipped with Oxygen and found that they
indeed are lacking the <seriesStmt> element, which has been added to the
jTEI schema after the latest Oxygen release.

Since the TEI schemas have a shorter release cycle than the Oxygen XML
editor, a so-called "add-on" TEI framework is made available as well.
This provides exactly the same files and functionality as the built-in
TEI framework, only it is updated whenever a new TEI version is being
released. You can install it as an add-on in Oxygen, and keep it
up-to-date by having Oxygen check for new versions. James Cummings has
provided nice installation instructions in a blog post at
http://blogs.it.ox.ac.uk/jamesc/2014/04/02/auto-update-your-tei-framework-in-oxygen/.

Also, note that the online version of the jTEI ODD and schemas linked
from http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/jTEI/ are also
up-to-date, so in principle, you could just validate against those
online versions referred to in the source files of the jTEI articles.
Yet, I've found that for some reason Oxygen always seems to use a local
version for the schema: even if
http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/schema/relaxng/tei_jtei.rng
is associated with the document, it uses a version in the Oxygen
framework folder instead (which might be an older version if you don't
have the add-on framework installed). I'll check if this could be an
Oxygen bug.

To summarize, validating against the online versions linked from
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/jTEI/ should give you
access to the most recent version of the jTEI schema.
If you are using the Oxygen framework, however, your safest bet to make
sure you are using the latest TEI release, is by installing the TEI
add-on framework (see James' excellent post for easy installation
instructions) and go with that.

Best,

Ron

--
Ron Van den Branden

Technical Editor
jTEI  - Journal of the Text Encoding Initiative
         http://jtei.revues.org/

On 21/01/2016 14:33, Martin Holmes wrote:

> Thanks for the report, Till. We'll check into it. You could have
> reported it to the journal contact email, but I think everyone on the
> journal is also on this list.
>
> All the best,
> Martin
>
> On 16-01-21 02:42 AM, Till Grallert wrote:
>>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> I just downloaded a number of recent articles from the Journal of the
>> TEI as TEI XML files and was surprised to find that they do not validate
>> against the schema tei_jtei.rng specifically designed for this journal.
>> Particularly, the <seriesStmt> used to record bibliographic information
>> on jTEI itself caused validation errors. Where to report this bug?
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Till

Re: Articles in jTEI do not validate against tei_jtei

George Bina
Dear Ron,

Resolving the schema references to local copies in oXygen is done
through the XML catalog from the TEI framework and it is on purpose -
otherwise if you have a lot of users, the server that hosts the schemas
may get a too many requests.
The solution is indeed to update to the latest TEI framework.

Best Regards,
George
--
George Cristian Bina
http://www.oxygenxml.com

On 21/01/16 17:57, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dear Till,
>
> First off, as the jTEI technical editor I can assure you the files are
> valid against the latest jTEI schema. You haven't provided much
> information about your validation context, but I assume you are
> validating the files with the bundled TEI framework in Oxygen. I have
> looked into the jTEI schemas shipped with Oxygen and found that they
> indeed are lacking the <seriesStmt> element, which has been added to the
> jTEI schema after the latest Oxygen release.
>
> Since the TEI schemas have a shorter release cycle than the Oxygen XML
> editor, a so-called "add-on" TEI framework is made available as well.
> This provides exactly the same files and functionality as the built-in
> TEI framework, only it is updated whenever a new TEI version is being
> released. You can install it as an add-on in Oxygen, and keep it
> up-to-date by having Oxygen check for new versions. James Cummings has
> provided nice installation instructions in a blog post at
> http://blogs.it.ox.ac.uk/jamesc/2014/04/02/auto-update-your-tei-framework-in-oxygen/.
>

> Also, note that the online version of the jTEI ODD and schemas linked
> from http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/jTEI/ are also
> up-to-date, so in principle, you could just validate against those
> online versions referred to in the source files of the jTEI articles.
> Yet, I've found that for some reason Oxygen always seems to use a local
> version for the schema: even if
> http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/schema/relaxng/tei_jtei.rng
> is associated with the document, it uses a version in the Oxygen
> framework folder instead (which might be an older version if you don't
> have the add-on framework installed). I'll check if this could be an
> Oxygen bug.
>
> To summarize, validating against the online versions linked from
> http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/Customization/jTEI/ should give you
> access to the most recent version of the jTEI schema.
> If you are using the Oxygen framework, however, your safest bet to make
> sure you are using the latest TEI release, is by installing the TEI
> add-on framework (see James' excellent post for easy installation
> instructions) and go with that.
>
> Best,
>
> Ron

Re: Articles in jTEI do not validate against tei_jtei

ron.vandenbranden
Administrator
Thanks for clarifying, George!

Best,