Building and Testing the Guidelines and Stylesheets

Building and Testing the Guidelines and Stylesheets

Hugh Cayless-2
Dear TEI folk,

Inspired by Martin Holmes's work on getting the TEI Jenkins service running in Docker, I've been working on an easily usable and replicable build and test environment for TEI. As those of you who don't use Linux as your daily work environment probably know all too well, setting up the Guidelines and Stylesheets build environment is painful. It took me several weeks after joining Council to get it working, and to get it working completely took even longer—and that was on OS X. I imagine it's even worse on Windows.

Enter Docker. I've made an image with Ubuntu and all of the prerequisites for building and testing on it, into which you can map your cloned TEI and Stylesheets repos. This means you can work on them in your own environment, but build and test them in the Docker container. Detailed instructions on doing this are at http://teic.github.io/TCW/testing_and_building.html. I've tested it on a clean Mac, and it works. I'd love to know if it works on Windows. It should.

The goal here is to make it easy for TEI users to build and test the Guidelines and Stylesheets, and therefore make it easier for you to contribute to the development of the TEI, and also just easier for you to play with and test things on your own. The Docker image is a bit huge, I think mostly because of the TEX install. There may be things that can be done to prune it a little. It might take a while to install at home if you don't have a fast connection.

Please let me know if it works, or doesn't work for you.

Happy Holidays!

Hugh