Call for Nominations for TEI-c Board, Technical Council, and TAPAS Advisory Board

Call for Nominations for TEI-c Board, Technical Council, and TAPAS Advisory Board

Kathryn Tomasek-2

Dear members of the TEI community,

The Text Encoding Initiative Consortium (TEI-C) invites nominations for election to the TEI-C Board, the Technical Council, and the TAPAS Advisory Board.

The following positions are vacant and up for election:

  • 3 on the Board
  • 5  on the Council
  • a number yet to be determined on the TAPAS Advisory Board

Please submit your nominations to the TEI-C Board Nominating Committee by 1st May 2018: [Google form].

The elections will take place via electronic voting prior to the annual Members' Meeting and Conference in September 2018.

Self-nominations are welcome and common; TEI-C membership is not a requirement to serve on the Board or Council. All nominees should provide a brief statement of interest and biographical paragraph, and notice that, if elected, they will be willing to serve. Example candidates' biographies from a previous election can be found at <http://www.tei-c.org/Membership/Meetings/2012/mm58.xml>.

The TEI-C Board is the governing body for the TEI Consortium, and is responsible for its strategic and financial oversight. The Board conducts its business by email correspondence, occasional telephone conferences, and at its annual meeting, for which travel subsidies are available. For more information on the Board, including a list of current members, please see: <http://www.tei-c.org/About/board.xml>.

The TEI-C Technical Council oversees the technical development of the TEI Guidelines. Candidates for Council should be reasonably experienced users of the Guidelines, and expertise/interest in specific areas is helpful. Council members also evaluate bug reports and feature requests, and have primary responsibility for editing and updating the Guidelines and its release packages. Prospective candidates should be available for subsidized travel to one or two face-to-face meetings annually, and should be able to commit to ongoing work during the course of the year. For more information on the Council, including a list of current members, please see: <http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/index.xml>.

The TAPAS advisory board contributes to the strategic planning of TAPAS, a TEI publishing and repository service, and the elected members represent the needs and perspective of the TEI community. Advisory board members work via email correspondence and conference calls (currently 3 per year) and may be asked for advice and assistance with grant planning, collaborative alliances with other organizations, and outreach to the TEI community. Elected members serve a term of two years. For more information about the TAPAS Advisory Board, please see: <http://beta.tapasproject.org/about>.

Once nominations are received and registered, the named person will be asked to:

  • formally accept the nomination by 15 May
  • provide a biography and a statement of purpose by 30 May. Candidates may wish to indicate whether they can expect institutional support for their service if elected (e.g., time allowance for service, help with expenses).

All nominees, regardless of their residency, should be reminded very strongly that members of the Board and Council are expected to participate actively in the discussion, activities, and meetings of their respective body.

The TEI is particularly engaged in encouraging diversity and gender balance in all its constituencies and strongly wants to be a welcoming environment for all.

Thank you,

Kathryn Tomasek for the Nominating Committee

Chair, TEI-c Board of Directors
Professor of History
Wheaton College
Norton, Massachusetts
@KathrynTomasek

Always learning--Toujours entrain d'apprendre--Immer lernen--いつも学ぶ--Vždy se učí

Re: Call for Nominations for TEI-c Board, Technical Council, and TAPAS Advisory Board

Georg Vogeler-2
Dear list,

I just wanted to remind you, that the TEI is an open community, happy to
have participation by the all of you ... e.g. in nominating people you
think competent to make technical, administrative, and scholalry decisions.

So just jump on to

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1t-hN7_CwCA0a5dvHvrQsb6WqYQalhPnAr9eVONM8Klk/viewform

and suggest somebody from all over the world!

Best wishes

Georg
(Secretary of the TEI-C-Board and member of the 2018 election comittee)

Am 17.04.2018 um 20:05 schrieb Kathryn Tomasek:

> [...]
>
> All nominees, regardless of their residency, should be reminded very
> strongly that members of the Board and Council are expected to
> participate actively in the discussion, activities, and meetings of
> their respective body.
>
> The TEI is particularly engaged in encouraging diversity and gender
> balance in all its constituencies and strongly wants to be a welcoming
> environment for all.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Kathryn Tomasek for the Nominating Committee
>

> Chair, TEI-c Board of Directors
> Professor of History
> Wheaton College
> Norton, Massachusetts
> @KathrynTomasek
>
> Always learning--Toujours entrain d'apprendre--Immer lernen--いつも学ぶ
> --Vždy se učí

Re: Call for Nominations for TEI-c Board, Technical Council, and TAPAS Advisory Board

Martin Mueller
What if elections to the Board were concluded thirty days before the annual meeting? In that case, the membership of the Board for the next two years would be known well in advance of the Annual Meeting. There would be time for preparation, and the Board Meeting would in all probability benefit. There is also a lot to be said for the new Board to take over at the Annual Meeting rather than the following January.

Board members serve for two years. Under the current system, newly elected Board members may only meet their colleagues once during their term of office. If members are elected well in advance of the Board meeting, the odds of more face-to-face time increase considerably.

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_forms_d_1t-2DhN7-5FCwCA0a5dvHvrQsb6WqYQalhPnAr9eVONM8Klk_viewform&d=DwIFaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=T1FolHuOhhBSxIzebURIEujCtVtv9TUhlNc3uGvPTQE&s=G8rAU4a-0TtixYm9Ay-i2zYq46DYqHk1O6Cmh__9rfw&e=