[Call for Participation] Kaggle Competition: Kuzushiji Recognition

[Call for Participation] Kaggle Competition: Kuzushiji Recognition

KITAMOTO Asanobu
Dear Colleagues,

I would like to announce the launch of the Kaggle Competition "Kuzushiji
Recognition."

Kuzushiji is a set of old Japanese characters that had been used for a
thousand years in Japan, but most of the contemporary Japanese people
cannot read them due to cursive writing style and the different form of
characters.

To solve this problem, we take advantage of machine learning and AI to
develop Kuzushiji OCR algorithm for automatically extracting the type
and the location of kuzushiji characters from old Japanese books.

Kaggle is the world's largest community of data scientists, and this
competition is the first on the Kaggle platform in the area of digital
humanities.

We wish to see active participation of people with background not only
in computer vision, machine learning and artificial intelligence, but
also in Japanese studies and digital humanities.

** Period:
July 19 to October 14, 2019

** Competition official page:
https://www.kaggle.com/c/kuzushiji-recognition/

** Competition host page:
http://codh.rois.ac.jp/competition/kaggle/

** Hosts
ROIS-DS Center for Open Data in the Humanities http://codh.rois.ac.jp/
National Institute of Japanese Literature https://www.nijl.ac.jp/
National Institute of Informatics https://www.nii.ac.jp/

We will also offer opportunities for the winners of the competition to
receive awards and give talks at a Symposium on November 11 in Tokyo, Japan.

** Japanese Culture and AI Symposium 2019
http://codh.rois.ac.jp/symposium/japanese-culture-ai-2019/

We are looking forward to your participation in the competition to
develop innovative tools and datasets for improving accessibility to
Japanese culture of the past.

---
Asanobu KITAMOTO
http://researchmap.jp/kitamoto/