Capture of TEI=XML from a printed book

Robinson, Peter
Folks: I have a modern printing of an Italian play, and I would like to encode this into TEI. Usually, I would just get an electronic text of the play (likely form OCR), clean it up, and put the TEI in myself.
However: for various reasons, I don’t want to do this myself. Does anyone know of a service, or similar, where I could send this book and get back, at reasonable cost, a TEI -XML encoded version of it? Because it is a one-off, I am guessing that the economies won’t work for the usual mass-capture suspects. So, who can do this, and at what cost?
Peter

Re: Capture of TEI=XML from a printed book

Syd Bauman-9
Hi, Peter!

We used to, and perhaps still do, have a deal with Apex CoVantage
that went roughly along the lines of "if you (a TEI-C member) agree
to have your book encoded into TEI Tite, and can wait until we get
enough reqests to make it worth our doing a TEI run, you get a big
discount". I may be a bit off on that, but it was intended to provide
discounts for TEI folks. See http://www.tei-c.org/AccessTEI/.

> Folks: I have a modern printing of an Italian play, and I would
> like to encode this into TEI. Usually, I would just get an
> electronic text of the play (likely form OCR), clean it up, and put
> the TEI in myself.  However: for various reasons, I don’t want to
> do this myself. Does anyone know of a service, or similar, where I
> could send this book and get back, at reasonable cost, a TEI -XML
> encoded version of it? Because it is a one-off, I am guessing that
> the economies won’t work for the usual mass-capture suspects. So,
> who can do this, and at what cost?

Re: Capture of TEI=XML from a printed book

Martin Mueller
I've done business with the Apex folks and highly recommend them.

MM

    discounts for TEI folks. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tei-2Dc.org_AccessTEI_&d=DwIFaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=oABfa5Ez8SczP5MYRfLJsAMaUrCBOTB-pjDKi86eNlY&s=6v6DPU6vt4A9nLqqe0FuLFADq7PTl4Cxrv-ohJD61Pk&e=.

    > Folks: I have a modern printing of an Italian play, and I would
    > like to encode this into TEI. Usually, I would just get an
    > electronic text of the play (likely form OCR), clean it up, and put
    > the TEI in myself.  However: for various reasons, I don’t want to
    > do this myself. Does anyone know of a service, or similar, where I
    > could send this book and get back, at reasonable cost, a TEI -XML
    > encoded version of it? Because it is a one-off, I am guessing that
    > the economies won’t work for the usual mass-capture suspects. So,
    > who can do this, and at what cost?

Re: Capture of TEI=XML from a printed book

Robinson, Peter
thanks folks! a bit of me did remember the atlas solution. I’ll give this a try and see how it goes
Peter

> On Jun 17, 2018, at 9:11 PM, Martin Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've done business with the Apex folks and highly recommend them.
>
> MM
>
> On 6/17/18, 10:10 PM, "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list on behalf of Syd Bauman" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    Hi, Peter!
>
>    We used to, and perhaps still do, have a deal with Apex CoVantage
>    that went roughly along the lines of "if you (a TEI-C member) agree
>    to have your book encoded into TEI Tite, and can wait until we get
>    enough reqests to make it worth our doing a TEI run, you get a big
>    discount". I may be a bit off on that, but it was intended to provide
>    discounts for TEI folks. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tei-2Dc.org_AccessTEI_&d=DwIFaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=oABfa5Ez8SczP5MYRfLJsAMaUrCBOTB-pjDKi86eNlY&s=6v6DPU6vt4A9nLqqe0FuLFADq7PTl4Cxrv-ohJD61Pk&e=.
>
>> Folks: I have a modern printing of an Italian play, and I would
>> like to encode this into TEI. Usually, I would just get an
>> electronic text of the play (likely form OCR), clean it up, and put
>> the TEI in myself.  However: for various reasons, I don’t want to
>> do this myself. Does anyone know of a service, or similar, where I
>> could send this book and get back, at reasonable cost, a TEI -XML
>> encoded version of it? Because it is a one-off, I am guessing that
>> the economies won’t work for the usual mass-capture suspects. So,
>> who can do this, and at what cost?

Re: Capture of TEI=XML from a printed book

Paul Schaffner
It is possible -- maybe -- that you might also be
able to persuade Apex to do a one-off text if you
agree to use the specs and instructions they are
accustomed to from some other, larger, project.
(E.g. TCP.) "TEI encoding" covers a huge span of
possible capture policies, and it is in the detail
of application, as realized in keying instructions,
that much of the setup cost resides. I believe that
the TEI-tite approach and the TCP approach were fairly
similar, as regards the granularity and depth of markup,
as well as the kinds of information that were excluded as too
difficult to identify accurately. If you are content,
for example, with marking speeches, speakers, stage
directions, paragraphs, lines, stanzas, pages, font changes,
and damage or illegibility gaps, but *not* 'named entities'
meter, or rhetorical or grammatical features, using one of the
pre-tested instruction sets (TEI-tite or TCP) might
get you there.

pfs

--
Paul Schaffner  Digital Content & Collections
University of Michigan Libraries