Chaining ODD tutorial updated

Lou Burnard-6

I've been amusing myself this penultimate day of 2017 by adding a worked example to my little tutorial on how to chain ODDs.

If it amuses you too, please take a peek at https://teic.github.io/TCW/howtoChain.html ... all comments welcomed!

Re: Chaining ODD tutorial updated

James Cummings-5

Hi Lou,

Excellent introduction. In the last example for supersetting chained ODDs you use the

source="tei:3.0.0"

magic to point to TEI version 3.0.0 p5subset.xml.  While I know this works, and indeed it is of course possible that you've documented this in your TEI ODD customization file using a prefixDef in the header, wouldn't it be better in a how-to such as this to use the explicit URL of:

http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/P5/3.0.0/xml/tei/odd/p5subset.xml

to point to the earlier version?  It is important, in my opinion, for people know that all previous versions of TEI P5 releases are archived in the vault not only for them to use in chaining ODDs but also to compare different versions of the TEI Guidelines over time.  Only a trivial note, otherwise looks good to me.

Best wishes,

James

--

Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]

School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics, Newcastle University

Re: Chaining ODD tutorial updated

Lou Burnard-6
Hello James

Thanks for the positive feedback. I did think about whether or not to explain that particular piece of magic, or just leave it there unexplained. It certainly works without any associated prefix definition that I'm aware of: indeed a glance at the source of odd2odd.xsl shows that this is strong magic which does not use a predefined prefix definition at all: it uses a stylesheet parameter called defaultTEIserver. (So what would happen if you did document "tei:" in your header as you suggest is anyone's guess)

However, you're right that it's bad pedagogic practice to sneak in a completely new topic (versioning) in the last sentence without more discussion, so I'll tweak that section some more. Thanks again, and I hope you are enjoying Akihabara!

sayonara,

Lou

On 03/01/18 18:16, James Cummings wrote:

[...]

I don't think any magic would happen based on the documentation of it using prefixDef in the header... we just have a way to document that particular form of magic now. (The magic though, I suppose, is that the processing does anything with it at all.)

You know I dislike magic in that sense and want everything to be open and transparently honest in its processing. 😉

Best wishes,

James