Chapter DOIs

Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex
Dear List Members,

We are tasked with encoding encyclopedias and multi-author prose works
where each article or chapter needs to carry their own DOI.

In the guidelines, I see that idno is recommended for encoding DOIs.

Unless we don’t encode the whole work as a teiCorpus and each individual
article/chapter as a TEI document with its own metadata, where do we
best place the article/chapter DOIs?

For example, if we prefer using the more lightweight divs for the
structural units, where will we place idnos? They are permitted within
head elements, but does that capture the metadata nature of these idnos
best?

Other people have used interp for holding per-div DOIs and
publicationStmt/idno for the per-work DOI in the TEI header. But this
seems incoherent if not outright tag misuse (of interp).

Another element that might hold DOIs is fs, but this seems to generic a
tool for bibliographic metadata.

Is there a recommended practice for this?

Note: In BITS, it would canonically be tagged as
book-part-meta/book-part-id[@book-part-id-type = 'doi'], see Example 1
at
https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/extensions/bits/tag-library/2.0/element/book-part-meta.html

Thanks in advance,

Gerrit

--
Gerrit Imsieke
Geschäftsführer / Managing Director

Geschäftsführer: Gerrit Imsieke, Svea Jelonek,
Thomas Schmidt, Dr. Reinhard Vöckler

SV: Chapter DOIs

Sigfrid Lundberg
Hi Gerrit,

We don't use DOIs for this, but otherwise we have the similar problem with multiple  "works" per file. This is in essence how we would do it.

cheers

Sigge

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
  <teiHeader>
    <fileDesc>
      <titleStmt>
        <title>
        </title>
      </titleStmt>
      <publicationStmt>
        <publisher>
        </publisher>
      </publicationStmt>
      <sourceDesc>
        <listBibl>
          <bibl xml:id="workid">
            <title>The works title</title>
            <idno>your doi</idno>
          </bibl>
        </listBibl>
      </sourceDesc>
    </fileDesc>
  </teiHeader>
  <text>
        <head>The works head</head>
  </text>
</TEI>

Geschäftsführer: Gerrit Imsieke, Svea Jelonek,
Thomas Schmidt, Dr. Reinhard Vöckler

Re: Chapter DOIs

I think I would use the att.declaring functionality for this, something
like the following, where you have multiple sourceDescs, some associated
with only part of the text:

<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
   <teiHeader>
       <fileDesc>
          <titleStmt>
             <title>Title</title>
          </titleStmt>
          <publicationStmt>
          </publicationStmt>
          <sourceDesc>
          </sourceDesc>
          <sourceDesc xml:id="chapter_01_source">
             <bibl>
                <idno type="DOI">DOICHAPTER1</idno>
             </bibl>
          </sourceDesc>
          <sourceDesc xml:id="chapter_02_source">
             <bibl>
                <idno type="DOI">DOICHAPTER2</idno>
             </bibl>
          </sourceDesc>
       </fileDesc>
   </teiHeader>
   <text>
   </text>
</TEI>

There's more info on this here:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CC.html#CCAS>

On 2017-06-07 05:38 AM, Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex wrote:

> Dear List Members,
>
> We are tasked with encoding encyclopedias and multi-author prose works
> where each article or chapter needs to carry their own DOI.
>
> In the guidelines, I see that idno is recommended for encoding DOIs.
>
> Unless we don’t encode the whole work as a teiCorpus and each individual
> article/chapter as a TEI document with its own metadata, where do we
> best place the article/chapter DOIs?
>
> For example, if we prefer using the more lightweight divs for the
> structural units, where will we place idnos? They are permitted within
> head elements, but does that capture the metadata nature of these idnos
> best?
>
> Other people have used interp for holding per-div DOIs and
> publicationStmt/idno for the per-work DOI in the TEI header. But this
> seems incoherent if not outright tag misuse (of interp).
>
> Another element that might hold DOIs is fs, but this seems to generic a
> tool for bibliographic metadata.
>
> Is there a recommended practice for this?
>
> Note: In BITS, it would canonically be tagged as
> book-part-meta/book-part-id[@book-part-id-type = 'doi'], see Example 1
> at
> https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/extensions/bits/tag-library/2.0/element/book-part-meta.html
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gerrit

Re: Chapter DOIs

Martin Holmes
Lou has correctly pointed out that I missed the hashes off the pointers:

Sorry for the typo.

On 2017-06-07 08:03 AM, Martin Holmes wrote:

> I think I would use the att.declaring functionality for this, something
> like the following, where you have multiple sourceDescs, some associated
> with only part of the text:
>
> <TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
>    <teiHeader>
>        <fileDesc>
>           <titleStmt>
>              <title>Title</title>
>           </titleStmt>
>           <publicationStmt>
>           </publicationStmt>
>           <sourceDesc>
>           </sourceDesc>
>           <sourceDesc xml:id="chapter_01_source">
>              <bibl>
>                 <idno type="DOI">DOICHAPTER1</idno>
>              </bibl>
>           </sourceDesc>
>           <sourceDesc xml:id="chapter_02_source">
>              <bibl>
>                 <idno type="DOI">DOICHAPTER2</idno>
>              </bibl>
>           </sourceDesc>
>        </fileDesc>
>    </teiHeader>
>    <text>
>    </text>
> </TEI>
>
> There's more info on this here:
>
> <http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CC.html#CCAS>
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>

> On 2017-06-07 05:38 AM, Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex wrote:
>> Dear List Members,
>>
>> We are tasked with encoding encyclopedias and multi-author prose works
>> where each article or chapter needs to carry their own DOI.
>>
>> In the guidelines, I see that idno is recommended for encoding DOIs.
>>
>> Unless we don’t encode the whole work as a teiCorpus and each
>> individual article/chapter as a TEI document with its own metadata,
>> where do we best place the article/chapter DOIs?
>>
>> For example, if we prefer using the more lightweight divs for the
>> structural units, where will we place idnos? They are permitted within
>> head elements, but does that capture the metadata nature of these
>> idnos best?
>>
>> Other people have used interp for holding per-div DOIs and
>> publicationStmt/idno for the per-work DOI in the TEI header. But this
>> seems incoherent if not outright tag misuse (of interp).
>>
>> Another element that might hold DOIs is fs, but this seems to generic
>> a tool for bibliographic metadata.
>>
>> Is there a recommended practice for this?
>>
>> Note: In BITS, it would canonically be tagged as
>> book-part-meta/book-part-id[@book-part-id-type = 'doi'], see Example 1
>> at
>> https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/extensions/bits/tag-library/2.0/element/book-part-meta.html
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Gerrit

Re: Chapter DOIs

Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex
Thanks Sigge, Martin and Lou for your recommendations that I now, due to
overwhelming consensus, accept as canonical.

Gerrit

--
Gerrit Imsieke
Geschäftsführer / Managing Director
le-tex publishing services GmbH
Weissenfelser Str. 84, 04229 Leipzig, Germany
Phone +49 341 355356 110, Fax +49 341 355356 510
[hidden email], http://www.le-tex.de

Geschäftsführer: Gerrit Imsieke, Svea Jelonek,
Thomas Schmidt, Dr. Reinhard Vöckler

Elements with multiple dates

Carlson, Thomas Andrew

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for a way to encode multiple dates that are relevant for the same event.  The event element, of course, has the datable attributes, but no attribute can occur more than once in an element.  If event could contain date elements, that might work.  I see that events can contain event elements, so I could nest event elements, with different datable attributes on the subordinate events.

<event when="1200-01-06">

    <label>Main event</label>

    <event when="1234-05-06">

        <label>2nd date</label>

    </event>

    <event when="1357-09-11">

        <label>3rd date</label>

    </event>

</event>

Do any of you have projects where a single element has multiple associated dates?  Or do you know of any such projects?  Examples of encoding would be very welcome!

Warm wishes,

Thomas

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Thomas A. Carlson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Middle Eastern History
History Department
Oklahoma State University
101 South Murray Hall
Stillwater, OK 74078-3054
[hidden email]
Twitter: @MedievalMidEast
OSU interprets every email sent or received from this email address as a record of the State of Oklahoma and guarantees no privacy for such communications.  If you do not wish your emails to become state records, ask me for my alternate email address.