Code of Conduct for TEI-C Events and Communications: Public Comment by 30 April 2018

Code of Conduct for TEI-C Events and Communications: Public Comment by 30 April 2018

Dalmau, Michelle Denise
Hi, all,

The TEI Board of Directors are circulating a draft of the TEI-C Code of Conduct for public comment:

Please take a moment to review the Code of Conduct and provide feedback directly on the Google doc, to members of the Board  ([hidden email]) or to the TEI-L by Monday, 30 April 2018.

In 2014, the Board initially discussed drafting a Code of Conduct in response to ADHO’s recently released Code of Conduct (http://adho.org/administration/conference-coordinating-program-committee/adho-conference-code-conduct).  Since then, many organizations with which we closely align like the Digital Library Federation have released Code of Conducts.  This is long overdue, and very much informed by Code of Conducts published by our allies and friends.

On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank former Board member, Pip Willcox, who authored the majority of this document.

We look forward to your feedback!

—Michelle on behalf of the TEI-C Board of Directors

-----
Michelle Dalmau
Head, Digital Collections Services, IU Libraries
Co-Director, Institute for Digital Arts & Humanities
Indiana University
-----
Herman B Wells Library
1320 East 10th Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405
——
Phone: (812) 855-1261
Twitter:  @mdalmau

Re: Code of Conduct for TEI-C Events and Communications: Public Comment by 30 April 2018

Dalmau, Michelle Denise
Dear Martin,

Thanks for your feedback, which I will address in reverse order.

Authoring the Code of Conduct has not at all detracted from other work that the Board has and needs to do.  We were lucky enough to follow many great examples set by organizations with which we closely align. Not to mention that all of us on the Board are incredibly sensitive to making sure everyone is heard and treated collegially. Authoring it was fairly easy!  Finally, we see the Code of Conduct as an important output of our work that is long overdue.

The Code governs all forms of communications and interactions, not just on the TEI-L. We have heard from members of the community, including at Business meetings, about various forms of discomforts. Aside from snarky comments on the list, concerns about cultural references, humor and other expressions have been relayed to us — either publicly or privately—  that would serve us all to consider.  We exist in an ever-growing international community and it’s easy, even if innocuous, to take our expressions for granted.

The Code of Conduct is meant to create a safe space for all of us. Our hope is that the Code is ultimately unnecessary, which assumes we are all mindful and respectful colleagues.  In large part, we are, but I doubt your sentiments reflect the whole of the community.  Why not make sure we cultivate productive, respectful interactions?

—Michelle

On Apr 12, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Martin Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

Do we really need this?  I have been a member of the TEI List since the mid-nineties. It has been a model of reason and helpfulness. There has been the occasional snarky or impatient comment, but I've never seen anything that was clearly out of bounds in a world where free speech is an important good. The Germans say "man soll nicht jedes Wort auf die Goldwaage legen" (don't weigh every word on the gold scale) and there is something in the Bible about not muzzling the ox that treadeth the corn.

This may be a well-inrentioned effort at regulation, but it is unnecessary and is likely to do more harm than good.

I served on the TEI Board for five years and found it a group that had a lot of trouble getting things done because for each of its member on a different continent and in a different time zone there was always something that was more urgent. So the Board should spend its time on matters that really matter instead of wasting it on things that need not be done at all.

Martin Mueller

On Apr 12, 2018, at 10:07 AM, Dalmau, Michelle Denise <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Janelle Jenstad

Dear Michelle and the TEI Board of Directors,

Thank you for drafting a Code of Conduct for our community, and thanks especially to Pip for her work! The draft is excellent, and is certainly in keeping with similar documents produced by my other scholarly communities (Shakespeare Association of America, Modern Language Association, Canadian Association of University Teachers).

I’m very glad to see this initiative come to fruition. I see it as a forward-looking move that will help us invite new people into the community and empower those who may have been quiet on the list to share their expertise and questions.

With best wishes and thanks,

Janelle

Janelle Jenstad, Associate Professor, Department of English

Coordinating Editor, Internet Shakespeare Editions

Director, The Map of Early Modern London

University of Victoria

Skype:  janelle.jenstad; Time zone: UTC -8

Book appointments: https://janelle-jenstad.youcanbook.me/

Re: Code of Conduct for TEI-C Events and Communications: Public Comment by 30 April 2018

McAulay, Elizabeth

Dear TEI Community,

I affirm Janelle's statement. Although, I would say this is not forward-looking, but actually considered foundational for all conferences and groups that I participate in. It has been prevalent for at least a few year.

Best,

Lisa

-------------------------------------
Elizabeth McAulay
Head, Digital Library Program
UCLA Library
email: emcaulay [at] library.ucla.edu
phone: 310-825-7657
url: http://digital.library.ucla.edu/

Re: Code of Conduct for TEI-C Events and Communications: Public Comment by 30 April 2018

Mylonas, Elli
Hi all, this is great. As I read along, each time I thought something more should be mentioned, it appeared in a subsequent paragraph, and as such I have nothing to add but many thanks.

Martin, I understand that this may seem constricting or looking for trouble where there doesn't seem to be any, but it's the kind of fundamental community document that we don't think is necessary until it becomes necessary. And although it may not affect everyone, it will provide assurance and make our community better.

thank you all! --elli

[Elli Mylonas
 Director, Center for Digital Scholarship
 University Library
 Brown University
 library.brown.edu/cds]

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 12:31 PM, McAulay, Lisa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear TEI Community,

I affirm Janelle's statement. Although, I would say this is not forward-looking, but actually considered foundational for all conferences and groups that I participate in. It has been prevalent for at least a few year.

Best,

Lisa

-------------------------------------
Elizabeth McAulay
Head, Digital Library Program
UCLA Library
email: emcaulay [at] library.ucla.edu
phone: 310-825-7657
url: http://digital.library.ucla.edu/

Re: Code of Conduct for TEI-C Events and Communications: Public Comment by 30 April 2018

Stuart A. Yeates
I fully support this.

While I fully understand Martin's comments and where he's coming from, I don't agree with them. Such codes of conduct are clearly important to a large number of potential members of the TEI community and by having one we significantly lower the apparent barriers to entry for some people.

cheers
stuart

On 13 April 2018 at 04:39, Mylonas, Elli <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks to those who posted comments on the Google doc and sent messages to the Board.  Today is the final day for public comment.

—Michelle