Data entry tool for msDesc?

Peter Boot-3
Hello all,

People ask me whether there are tools for creating manuscript descriptions. Some people don't feel comfortable with working in XML. Are there projects that have created (reusable) webforms, data entry procedures based on a word processor, or other tools that create TEI msDesc's without the manuscript describer having to use XML?

Thank you for your suggestions,
Peter

Re: Data entry tool for msDesc?

Eduard Drenth
Customized oxygen author mode? For our TEI corpora and probably for our dictionaries as well I plan to use customized oxygen web author with git as data store and a bit of workflow (edit,submit,review). I don't have it operational yet but it looks promising, the interface is intuitive, workflow will be sufficiently supported for our use case, validation is supported, customization possibilities are powerful.

No directly usable solution, but perhaps an interesting scenario.

Bye, Eduard

--
Eduard Drenth, Software Architekt

Doelestrjitte 8
8911 DX  Ljouwert
+31 58 234 30 47
+31 62 094 34 28 (privé)

skype: eduarddrenth
frisian.eu

Op freed bin ik thús/wurkje ik minder

AW: Data entry tool for msDesc?

Grüntgens, Max

Dear Peter Boot,

I worked in/with a few projects that processed MS-Word-files a/o Open/LibreOffice-Files with XSLT into TEI-XML. That's a workflow that works really well, if and only if the people inputting the data work dilligently with style sheets and adhere to a style-sheet structure decided upon within the project (giving each style sheet a coloured background greatly enhances the usability).

I can recommend using LibreOffice's  FODT-format as source file and transforming it with XSLT (I began writing a workflow here https://github.com/hou2zi0/xslt-simple-text-processing-toolbox, I however sadly hadn't time to develop it further in the last year, here are some starter scripts for FODT to basic XML https://github.com/hou2zi0/xslt-simple-text-processing-toolbox/tree/master/fodt_input, it's all still in an early stage).

Another viable option would imo be inputting  the data into exel/csv-tables and providing a script that converts the tables into XML. I started to do something similiar for EpiDoc: https://github.com/hou2zi0/csv-to-epidoc

---

As a side note: Maybe the easiest solution would be, to write a small html page with different input fields, maybe catered to the project's specificities, and allow uploading/downloading the form fields' content from/into JSON/XML. This small client-only page could easily be hosted on GitHub pages.

Best regards!

Max Grüntgens

Digitale Akademie

Projekt Propyläen. Forschungsplattform zu Goethes Biographica.

Akademie der Wissenschaften und der Literatur | Mainz

www.goethe-biographica.de

www.digitale-akademie.de
www.adwmainz.de

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8736-9393

Anschrift:

Digitale Akademie im Frankfurter Goethe-Haus

Freies Deutsches Hochstift

Großer Hirschgraben 23-25

60311 Frankfurt am Main

Tel. +49 69 1 38 80 286
Fax. +49 69 1 38 80 222

lou

Re: Data entry tool for msDesc?

Serge Heiden-2
TL;DR [I quickly searched for a tool in the site]:
- open the online M-Tool: http://www.manuscriptorium.com/apps/m-tool/m-tool.php?request=newDocumentT5&docType=MNS#itemDesc
- navigate in the structure of the metadata form with the tabs or the right side menu
- click on the Help button to open the "M-Tool – user’s manual Version 2.0 online" and discover that "The documents created by means of M-Tool have the form of XML while using TEI P5 ENRICH schema and they comply the technical conditions (not only) for the import to Manuscriptorium."
- open "Preview > TEI P5 XML" and visualize your teiHeader

Best,
Serge

Le 17/11/2020 à 14:47, Lou Burnard a écrit :
[...]

Dr. Serge Heiden, slh AT ens-lyon.fr, http://textometrie.ens-lyon.fr
Équipe de recherche Cactus, laboratoire IHRIM UMR5317, ENS de Lyon
15, parvis René Descartes 69342 Lyon BP7000 Cedex, tél. +33(0)622003883

Re: Data entry tool for msDesc?

Anas Ghrab

For the project Saramusik (http://www.saramusik.org), a database of arabic manuscripts on music, with extension to text editions, I have developped a Django-Framework reusable-app DaTaTexT (https://gitlab.com/AnasGhrab/django-datatext). Now, when filling the information as a form in the admin the information of the database is given as a TEI format. For example :

- The text : http://www.saramusik.org/476/texte

- The TEI information : http://www.saramusik.org/476/textei/

But there isn't any validation yet for the TEI structure.

I can help you if you would like to give it a try, as the install information are certainly not clear enough..

Anas Ghrab

University of Sousse, Tunisia

http://anas.ghrab.tn

On 2020-11-17 10:03 a.m., Peter Boot wrote:
Hello all,

People ask me whether there are tools for creating manuscript descriptions. Some people don't feel comfortable with working in XML. Are there projects that have created (reusable) webforms, data entry procedures based on a word processor, or other tools that create TEI msDesc's without the manuscript describer having to use XML?

Thank you for your suggestions,
Peter

--

Musicologue (http://anas.ghrab.tn)
Expert en Humanités Digitales / Arts Numériques