Digital Mitford Coding School, June 27 - July 1, 2017

Digital Mitford Coding School, June 27 - July 1, 2017

Elisa Beshero-Bondar
Dear members of the TEI community,
Please consider joining us at Pitt-Greensburg for our coding school, to be held June 27 - July 1, 2017, and please share our announcement with those in your communities who may be interested.

The Digital Mitford team offers an unusual opportunity to gain hands-on experience with coding and textual scholarship by working with materials from an active digital project. We welcome past coding school participants and new coders alike, and participants in the Coding School with interests in women writers sometimes join the editing team.

Registration is $180 for graduate students and adjunct instructors, and $300 for full-time faculty, librarians, and editors, and there is no additional cost for housing on Pitt-Greensburg's campus. Participants are encouraged to seek support from their host institutions for travel expenses.

All participants can expect to gain experience with decision-making with TEI, regular expression matching to construct XML from text and other document formats, and with XPath and its applications. In discussing the TEI, I'll also be sharing my experience in the past year as a member of the TEI Technical Council, working on maintaining and updating the Guidelines.

Those participants wishing to begin with XPath may elect to gain experience in transforming and publishing XML to build digital editions and process markup as data for analysis and visualization. We ask that people indicate their background and what they hope to learn with us in an e-mail of interest directed to me at ebb8 at pitt.edu

E-mails of interest should be sent me between now and April 3 so we can work out how best to plan the Coding School. Registration fees will be due May 15. For more information and how to apply, please see http://bit.ly/digMit2017

Thanks for reading and sharing!
Elisa

--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
Director, Center for the Digital Text | Associate Professor of English
E-mail:[hidden email]
Development site: http://newtfire.org

Re: Digital Mitford Coding School, June 27 - July 1, 2017

Elisa Beshero-Bondar
Dear friends and colleagues the TEI community,
We haven't yet filled our roster for the Digital Mitford Coding School, so we're extending the registration deadline!
Please register by 25 May (or at least write to me by that point so that I can see whether we have space: see http://bit.ly/digMit2017 )Registration is quite affordable: $180 for graduate students and adjunct instructors, and $300 for full-time faculty, librarians, and editors, and there is no additional cost for housing on Pitt-Greensburg's campus. Participants are encouraged to seek support from their host institutions for travel expenses. For those staying on campus, arrivals are on Tues. 27 June, and departures on Saturday 1 July, and the school is in session for full days (9 - 5:30ish) from Wed. through Fri. 28 -30 June.

Our Coding School is a few years old now, and each year we offer opportunities for interested new, beginning, or ongoing textual scholars to learn digital scholarly editing with us by working with Digital Mitford materials. Those especially interested in Mary Russell Mitford (or our cluster of related topics on women writers, theaters, annuals, life-writing, and publishing contexts from the 18th and 19th centuries) have an opportunity to join our editing team after our Coding School experience. We've been doing this for a few years now, and this has been increasing our community of involved coders.

You'll emerge with perspective, tools, and resource knowledge to begin building your own project, or, if you like, to help us build ours. In the space of 3-4 days, participants gain experience with:
  • textual scholarship and paleography (working primarily with 19th-century manuscript letters and publications)
  • best practices and sustainable formats for preparing digital scholarly editions
  • ideas for involving students at all levels in the digital scholarly editing experience
  • how to work with TEI XML to make an information architecture and database. This includes:
    • Autotagging and regular expression matching to “up-convert” plain text, and old word-processed documents and dated formats into XML markup
    • Hands-on experience with XPath and code schema design for project management and data analysis
    • For those ready (returning and advanced coders), experience writing XSLT to publish editions and process informative charts and data visualizations
As in past Coding Schools, our experienced student coders from Pitt-Greensburg's Center for the Digital Text will be on hand throughout the experience to help when anyone gets stuck. Members of the Digital Mitford editing team will also be there to take in a review of coding, work on their editing assignments, and help with the orientation. One of the unusual features of our Coding School is that we combine it with our editors' face-to-face coding and planning workshop, which gives Coding School participants a unique opportunity to gain an insider perspective on an ongoing digital project with lots of collaboration!

For more information and link to the registration form, please see http://bit.ly/digMit2017 . Please share with any colleagues or students you know who would benefit from participating. We accept all levels of learner here, and the only qualification is really your interest in the topics described here. NO background is necessary: our Coding School is meant to be an immersive experience that establishes a solid foundation for continued learning.

We look forward to another lively Coding School and discussion this year. Thanks for reading, sharing, and responding!

Cheers,
Elisa Beshero-Bondar
Lead Editor and Organizer, Digital Mitford: http://digitalmitford.org