Quantcast

Digital Mitford Coding School, June 27 - July 1, 2017

Digital Mitford Coding School, June 27 - July 1, 2017

Elisa Beshero-Bondar
Dear members of the TEI community,
Please consider joining us at Pitt-Greensburg for our coding school, to be held June 27 - July 1, 2017, and please share our announcement with those in your communities who may be interested.

The Digital Mitford team offers an unusual opportunity to gain hands-on experience with coding and textual scholarship by working with materials from an active digital project. We welcome past coding school participants and new coders alike, and participants in the Coding School with interests in women writers sometimes join the editing team.

Registration is $180 for graduate students and adjunct instructors, and $300 for full-time faculty, librarians, and editors, and there is no additional cost for housing on Pitt-Greensburg's campus. Participants are encouraged to seek support from their host institutions for travel expenses.

All participants can expect to gain experience with decision-making with TEI, regular expression matching to construct XML from text and other document formats, and with XPath and its applications. In discussing the TEI, I'll also be sharing my experience in the past year as a member of the TEI Technical Council, working on maintaining and updating the Guidelines.

Those participants wishing to begin with XPath may elect to gain experience in transforming and publishing XML to build digital editions and process markup as data for analysis and visualization. We ask that people indicate their background and what they hope to learn with us in an e-mail of interest directed to me at ebb8 at pitt.edu

E-mails of interest should be sent me between now and April 3 so we can work out how best to plan the Coding School. Registration fees will be due May 15. For more information and how to apply, please see http://bit.ly/digMit2017

Thanks for reading and sharing!
Elisa

--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
Director, Center for the Digital Text | Associate Professor of English