EarlyPrint Project

Martin Mueller

Dear Colleague,

I’d like to tell you about the first release of the EarlyPrint project at https://drama.earlyprint.org.

From a TEI perspective this is a project that adds linguistic annotation to P5 versions of TCP texts and puts them in an application that supports the collaborative curation of the most common textual defects in those texts.  The application is a version of TEI Publisher with the addition of an Annotation Module that was built by the eXist team and funded by the Mellon foundation.

The linguistic annotation is provided by Phil Burns’ MorphAdorner. We have used the attribute set for lightweight linguistic annotation that Piotr Banski, Susanne Haaf, and I have proposed to the TEI Council. I am an interested party in this but will say anyhow and with a lot of conviction that the combination of @pos, @lemma, @reg,  and @join attributes significantly simplifies many processing tasks.

This is an early release, and lots of work remains to be done. We’ll be grateful for advice and criticism.

Martin Mueller