Element <race> or <ethnicity> in prosopographic descriptions?

Element <race> or <ethnicity> in prosopographic descriptions?

ANTONIO ROJAS CASTRO
Dear list,

I am wondering why there is no tag to store information about race or ethnicity to describe a person using <person>.

How are we supposed to encode this *basic* of information? Is it recommended the use of <trait>, <note type=“race”> or maybe I should just extend the vocabulary on my own?

Thanks

--
Dr. Antonio Rojas Castro
Researcher, Cologne Center for eHumanities
Communication coordinator, EADH

Re: Element <race> or <ethnicity> in prosopographic descriptions?

Marjorie Burghart-2
Dear Antonio,

Since the very notion of "race" is highly controversial, if you need a classification based on some sort of ethnicity I think you have to define your own categories.

Best,
Marjorie

I am wondering why there is no tag to store information about race or
ethnicity to describe a person using <person>.

The TEI counts with specific elements such as <faith> and <sex> and also
more vague elements such as <trait> and <state>.

How are we supposed to encode this *basic* of information? Is it
recommended the use of <trait>, <note type=“race”> or maybe I should just
extend the vocabulary on my own?

Thanks

--
Dr. Antonio Rojas Castro
Researcher, Cologne Center for eHumanities
Communication coordinator, EADH
<http://www.antoniorojascastro.com>

Re: Element <race> or <ethnicity> in prosopographic descriptions?

I'm intrigued (and a little nervous) to find out what values you might
want to supply for race. What's the use-case?

On 2017-11-14 10:09 AM, Antonio Rojas Castro wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am wondering why there is no tag to store information about race or
> ethnicity to describe a person using <person>.
>
> The TEI counts with specific elements such as <faith> and <sex> and also
> more vague elements such as <trait> and <state>.
>
> How are we supposed to encode this *basic* of information? Is it
> recommended the use of <trait>, <note type=“race”> or maybe I should
> just extend the vocabulary on my own?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> ​Dr. Antonio Rojas Castro
> Researcher, Cologne Center for eHumanities
> Communication coordinator, EADH
> <http://www.antoniorojascastro.com <http://www.antoniorojascastro.com/>>

Re: Element <race> or <ethnicity> in prosopographic descriptions?

Lou Burnard-6
You could use <affiliation> or <trait>, since race is usually externally
defined.

On 14/11/17 18:23, Martin Holmes wrote:

> I'm intrigued (and a little nervous) to find out what values you might
> want to supply for race. What's the use-case?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On 2017-11-14 10:09 AM, Antonio Rojas Castro wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I am wondering why there is no tag to store information about race or
>> ethnicity to describe a person using <person>.
>>
>> The TEI counts with specific elements such as <faith> and <sex> and
>> also more vague elements such as <trait> and <state>.
>>
>> How are we supposed to encode this *basic* of information? Is it
>> recommended the use of <trait>, <note type=“race”> or maybe I should
>> just extend the vocabulary on my own?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> ​Dr. Antonio Rojas Castro
>> Researcher, Cologne Center for eHumanities
>> Communication coordinator, EADH
>> <http://www.antoniorojascastro.com <http://www.antoniorojascastro.com/>>

Re: Element <race> or <ethnicity> in prosopographic descriptions?

ANTONIO ROJAS CASTRO
Thank you for your replies. I guess <trait> may be good enough.

I am currently working with prosopographic descriptions of XVII Century European writers, historians and scientists. There is no information recorded about race or ethnicity... I guess that is because they were all white and caucasian, but maybe this is a wrong assumption (it would be great to find it out).

The question arose in the context of a theoretical discussion about representing identity with TEI. I do not have a user case, but I think encoding and retrieving race might be relevant in projects that focus on contemporary writers and artists.

On 2017-11-14 10:09 AM, Antonio Rojas Castro wrote:
Dear list,

I am wondering why there is no tag to store information about race or ethnicity to describe a person using <person>.

How are we supposed to encode this *basic* of information? Is it recommended the use of <trait>, <note type=“race”> or maybe I should just extend the vocabulary on my own?

Thanks

--
​Dr. Antonio Rojas Castro
Researcher, Cologne Center for eHumanities
Communication coordinator, EADH
<http://www.antoniorojascastro.com <http://www.antoniorojascastro.com/>>

--
​Antonio Rojas Castro
Postdoctoral Researcher, Cologne Center for eHumanities
Communication coordinator, EADH