Encoding availability of individual witnesses

Encoding availability of individual witnesses

iscott
Hi again,

Thanks to Syd Bauman with his advice about my project's use of the <teiCorpus/>. I have another question now. In our critical editions we have included some eclectic (reconstructed) versions of the text that are under copyright. We need to encode this information somewhere. But I'm not sure where it would fit.

We are currently treating reconstructed versions as structurally equivalent to manuscript witnesses. So a document will have a <listWit> list including a <witness> element for each manuscript as well as a <witness> for each reconstructed version. What I would really like is to include something like an <availability> element within each <witness>. But that doesn't seem to be allowed. You can put an <availability> in a <bibl> element, but not in a <witness> element.

Any suggestions?

Ian

Ian W. Scott, PhD
Associate Professor of New Testament
Tyndale Seminary, Toronto, Canada
Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work

Re: Encoding availability of individual witnesses

James Cummings-5

Hi Ian,

I think you might be thinking about this the wrong way round. Instead of embedding an <availability> in the witness, what you might want to do is have a separate <availability> for the copyright statement of that in <publicationStmt> and point to it from the <witness>.

There are a whole slew of header elements which are members of the att.declarable class (http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-att.declarable.html) so that one can indicate whether they are the default version of that bit of the header or not for the rest of the file. (So the default licence, or not, etc.)  You can then from a whole slew of other elements, that often group text together, and to which a different bit of the header applies, point to that version of the header information which applies to it.  These are the att.declaring elements, see the members at http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-att.declaring.html which get a @decls attribute that is a pointer to point to the bit of the header that is specifically relevant to it.

So in the <publicationStmt> I'd have something like:

====

<availability default="true">
   <licence target="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/">CC+by</licence>
</availability>
<availability xml:id="CopyrightLicence">
   <licence>Different Licence Here</licence>
</availability>
====

and in the <listWit> I'd have something like:

====

 <listWit>
               <witness xml:id="msA">Information about MS A</witness>
               <witness xml:id="msB">Information about MS B</witness>
               <witness xml:id="msC" decls="#CopyrightLicence">Information about MS C</witness>
</listWit>

====

However, you'll note that while <msDesc> is a member of att.declaring,  <witness> isn't. So currently you can't do this, but it still seems the proper way to me. (Well, the real proper way is to provide a manuscript description for each of your witneses!I'd suggest putting in an easy feature request to have <witness> claim membership in att.declaring and thus get the @decls attribute. (Add feature requests at https://github.com/TEIC/TEI/issues/new)  The implication being that any <rdg> from that witness is governed by that <availability>.  In the meantime one _could_ abuse the loose way some people use the @corresp attribute to point to the specific availability instead.

Best wishes,

James

--

Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]

School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics, Newcastle University