Encoding lyrics of performed songs

yaeln
Hello all,

I was wondering if there is/was a project of encoding performed songs (Rock, folk, whatever) which is not in the framework of MEI, I mean, annotation of the lyrics only?

My main question -where would you add information about the  performer (person or band etc) or the various  performances,  compositors?

Who is a publisher of lyrics? (I do know the source, but is there a notion of publisher here?)

Thanks
Yael

Re: Encoding lyrics of performed songs

Syd Bauman-9
Well, it is quite out of date and does not try to be a best practices
example in any way, but you could start with
http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/Songs/song-lyrics.05.xml. :-)

In that file information about composers, lyricists, and performers
is simply written in prose in an <opener>, which is not amenable to
automated processing.

Ideally, each song would be in its own <TEI> element (perhaps
together in a <teiCorpus>) to make it easy to associate metadata
(e.g., using <respStmt>) in the <teiHeader> with the transcription in
<text>.

Alternatively, the declarable mechanism (using @decls on each <div
type="song"> to point to the <sourceDesc> that is apropos to that
song) could be used, but it is so rarely used these days that many
people reading your TEI file might not know what it means.

And I do not really know off the top of my head how you differentiate
the publisher of lyrics from the distributor or other authority.

> I was wondering if there is/was a project of encoding performed
> songs (Rock, folk, whatever) which is not in the framework of MEI,
> I mean, annotation of the lyrics only?
>
> My main question -where would you add information about the
> performer (person or band etc) or the various performances,
> compositors?
>
> Who is a publisher of lyrics? (I do know the source, but is there a
> notion of publisher here?)

Re: Encoding lyrics of performed songs

yaeln
Thanks Syd,
I suppose  adding roles info into the metadataI  use  respStmt in the title, although the thing here is that you can either use 'author' for the songwriter in different element from the performer or composer,  or use 'resp' for the poet/writer/author (the songwriter)  which makes it different from other roles.