Examples of edition + parallel translation?

Examples of edition + parallel translation?

Ben Brumfield
I'm looking for a TEI example of a parallel text in which the original text was used to produce a TEI edition as well as a modern translation of the text, with both the edition and the translation contained within the same TEI file.  I'd like both texts to be linked, at least minimally, so that a page of translation can point to the page of the original-language edition from which it was derived.

Background: Last October I drafted a TEI export feature for FromThePage, the wiki-like digital edition tool I maintain.  In the last few days I've encountered a project which wants to use the tool to produce a digital edition, but also needs a way to add an English translation as part of the edition.  That will involve enhancing the software to add a parallel text feature, which I'm pretty excited about.  Of course I'd like to capture that parallel translation in the programmatically-generated TEI-XML file FromThePage exports, even if just as an archival format option.

Due to the nature of the tool and the limited scope of the enhancements we're considering, I won't be able to support interlinear translation, but will be able to link translation and original at a page-by-page and possibly paragraph-by-paragraph level.

Any examples of this sort of thing would be much appreciated.

Ben Brumfield
http://manuscripttranscription.blogspot.com/

Re: Examples of edition + parallel translation?

Frederik Elwert
Dear Ben,

in our work-in-progress TEI representation of an edition of Ancient Egyptian texts we store the translation (on sentence and word level) in separate divs and link using @corresp:

  <ab>
    <s xml:id="s2">
      <lb n="1"/>
    </s>
  </ab>
  <ab>
    <s corresp="#s1">&lt;vor dem Gott&gt; ... König ewiglich und ewiglich;</s>
  </ab>
  <ab>
    <w corresp="#w1">König</w>
    <w corresp="#w2">ewig, ewiglich</w>
  </ab>

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Best,
Frederik

--
Frederik Elwert M.A.

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Projektkoordinator SeNeReKo
Centrum für Religionswissenschaftliche Studien
Ruhr-Universität Bochum

Universitätsstr. 150
D-44780 Bochum

Raum FNO 01/180
Tel. +49-(0)234 - 32 24794

Re: Examples of edition + parallel translation?

Kalvesmaki, Joel
Hi Ben,

I maintain a diagnostic list of alignment formats in a publicly available
Google spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14Ztd2wOdg7PZKAxeFRhSdi9MV0yFkFCHOcP
eyhzA_Gc/edit?usp=sharing

The list includes both TEI and non-TEI approaches to the task of
alignment, both segment-to-segment and token-to-token. Comments on the
spreadsheet are welcome.

Best wishes,

jk

Joel Kalvesmaki
Editor in Byzantine Studies
Dumbarton Oaks
202 339 6435

On 8/29/14, 7:29 AM, "Ben Brumfield" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm looking for a TEI example of a parallel text in which the original
>text was used to produce a TEI edition as well as a modern translation of
>the text, with both the edition and the translation contained within the
>same TEI file.  I'd like both texts to be linked, at least minimally, so
>that a page of translation can point to the page of the original-language
>edition from which it was derived.
>
>Background: Last October I drafted a TEI export feature for FromThePage,
>the wiki-like digital edition tool I maintain.  In the last few days I've
>encountered a project which wants to use the tool to produce a digital
>edition, but also needs a way to add an English translation as part of
>the edition.  That will involve enhancing the software to add a parallel
>text feature, which I'm pretty excited about.  Of course I'd like to
>capture that parallel translation in the programmatically-generated
>TEI-XML file FromThePage exports, even if just as an archival format
>option.
>
>Due to the nature of the tool and the limited scope of the enhancements
>we're considering, I won't be able to support interlinear translation,
>but will be able to link translation and original at a page-by-page and
>possibly paragraph-by-paragraph level.
>
>Any examples of this sort of thing would be much appreciated.
>
>Ben Brumfield
>http://manuscripttranscription.blogspot.com/

Re: Examples of edition + parallel translation?

Nick Thieberger
On a slightly different approach, I've developed a system for presentation of interlinear glossed text which is a kind of parallel text, here: http://www.eopas.org/transcripts/55. It is also linked to time-aligned media. It takes the output of field linguistic analysis and presents it online, aiming to allow cross-corpus comparison of primary recordings.

The underlying format can be XML as follows.

All the best,

Nick Thieberger

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' ?>
<header>
</header>
<interlinear>
<phrase endTime='5.485' id='o_102-001' startTime='2.795'>
<transcription>Malen amurin na katur rowat, </transcription>
<wordlist>
<word>
<text>Malen</text>
<morphemelist>
<morpheme>
<text kind='morpheme'>malnen</text>
<text kind='gloss'>as</text>
</morpheme>
</morphemelist>
</word>
<word>
<text>amurin</text>
<morphemelist>
<morpheme>
<text kind='morpheme'>a=</text>
<text kind='gloss'>1S.RS=</text>
</morpheme>
<morpheme>
<text kind='morpheme'>mur</text>
<text kind='gloss'>want</text>
</morpheme>
<morpheme>
<text kind='morpheme'>-i</text>
<text kind='gloss'>-TS</text>
</morpheme>
<morpheme>
<text kind='morpheme'>-n</text>
<text kind='gloss'>-3S.O</text>
</morpheme>
</morphemelist>
</word>
<word>
<text>na</text>
<morphemelist>
<morpheme>
<text kind='morpheme'>na</text>
<text kind='gloss'>COMP</text>
</morpheme>
</morphemelist>
</word>
<word>
<text>katur</text>
<morphemelist>
<morpheme>
<text kind='morpheme'>ka=</text>
<text kind='gloss'>1S.IRS=</text>
</morpheme>
<morpheme>
<text kind='morpheme'>tur</text>
<text kind='gloss'>sew</text>
</morpheme>
</morphemelist>
</word>
<word>
<text>rowat,</text>
<morphemelist>
<morpheme>
<text kind='morpheme'>rowat</text>
<text kind='gloss'>sago_palm</text>
</morpheme>
</morphemelist>
</word>
</wordlist>
<translation>When I want to sew thatch,</translation>
</phrase>
<phrase endTime='12.347' id='o_102-002' startTime='5.485'>
<transcription>go apo pan slat rowat, kafan slat rowat. </transcription>
<wordlist>
[....]

*************************
Nick Thieberger MA, PhD
ARC QEII Fellow
School of Languages and Linguistics
The University of Melbourne
Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
http://languages-linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/thieberger/
http://languages-linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/current-projects/great-things

The Oxford Handbook of Linguistic Fieldwork
Edited by Nicholas Thieberger
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199571888.do

Director, Pacific and Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered Cultures (PARADISEC) http://paradisec.org.au
Co-Director, Resource Network for Linguistic Diversity http://www.rnld.org
Editor, Language Documentation & Conservation Journal http://www.nflrc.hawaii.edu/ldc/
Secretary, Australian Linguistic Society
Secretary, Australasian Association for Digital Humanities
CI in the  Centre of Excellence in the Dynamics of Language
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-8797-1018

On 30 August 2014 00:04, Kalvesmaki, Joel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ben,

I maintain a diagnostic list of alignment formats in a publicly available
Google spreadsheet:
eyhzA_Gc/edit?usp=sharing

The list includes both TEI and non-TEI approaches to the task of
alignment, both segment-to-segment and token-to-token. Comments on the
spreadsheet are welcome.

Best wishes,

jk

Joel Kalvesmaki
Editor in Byzantine Studies
Dumbarton Oaks

On 8/29/14, 7:29 AM, "Ben Brumfield" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm looking for a TEI example of a parallel text in which the original
>text was used to produce a TEI edition as well as a modern translation of
>the text, with both the edition and the translation contained within the
>same TEI file.  I'd like both texts to be linked, at least minimally, so
>that a page of translation can point to the page of the original-language
>edition from which it was derived.
>
>Background: Last October I drafted a TEI export feature for FromThePage,
>the wiki-like digital edition tool I maintain.  In the last few days I've
>encountered a project which wants to use the tool to produce a digital
>edition, but also needs a way to add an English translation as part of
>the edition.  That will involve enhancing the software to add a parallel
>text feature, which I'm pretty excited about.  Of course I'd like to
>capture that parallel translation in the programmatically-generated
>TEI-XML file FromThePage exports, even if just as an archival format
>option.
>
>Due to the nature of the tool and the limited scope of the enhancements
>we're considering, I won't be able to support interlinear translation,
>but will be able to link translation and original at a page-by-page and
>possibly paragraph-by-paragraph level.
>
>Any examples of this sort of thing would be much appreciated.
>
>Ben Brumfield
>http://manuscripttranscription.blogspot.com/

Re: Examples of edition + parallel translation?

Peter Boot-3
Hi Ben,

Ben:
> I'm looking for a TEI example of a parallel text in which the original text was
> used to produce a TEI edition as well as a modern translation of the text, with

In our Van Gogh edition (http://vangoghletters.org/) we have an XML file for each letter. The files contain the original text and the translation for each letter. Texts are aligned at page level, as well as through shared annotation. XML samples: http://vangoghletters.org/vg/VanGoghSample.zip.

Peter

Kun

Re: Examples of edition + parallel translation?

Kun
Hi Ben,

In my project for aligning bitext in different levels: text, paragraph
and sentence, i used format TEI below,  according the work of Gale and
Church.

i used <link> to align bitext that one sentence(paragraph) in a language
corresponding one sentence(paragraph) in other language.
if a bitext is not a mono-level alignment, it meas that one sentence or
paragraph in one language could be aligned with two or more other
language sentence or paragraph, i therefore used <join> to aggregate two
or more sentence(paragraph) in one language, such as <seg> or <ab>, then
using <link> to link this with the corresponding sentene(paragraph) in
other language.

Here the structure of part <text>:

   <text>
                <s xml:id="fr-p1-s1">
                </s>
                <s xml:id="fr-p1-s2">
                </s>
                <s xml:id="fr-p1-s3">
                </s>
                <s xml:id="zh-p1-s1">
                </s>
                <s xml:id="zh-p1-s2">
                </s>
          <joinGrp domains="#div-fr #div_zh" result="seg">
             <join xml:id="fr-p1-s2_3" target="#fr-p1-s2 #fr-p1-s3"/>
          </joinGrp>
          <linkGrp domains="#div-fr #div_zh" type="aligned-text">
             <link target="#div-fr #div_zh"/>
          </linkGrp>
          <linkGrp domains="#div-fr #div_zh" type="aligned-paragraph">
             <link target="#fr-p1 #zh-p1"/>
          </linkGrp>
          <linkGrp domains="#div-fr #div_zh" type="aligned_sentence">
             <link target="#fr-p1-s1 #zh-p1-s1"/>
             <link target="#fr-p1-s2_3 #zh-p1-s2"/>
          </linkGrp>
   </text>