FPIs and sgmlPath

Lou Burnard-2
From:   MX%"[hidden email]" 10-SEP-1994 16:04:54.08
To:     MX%"[hidden email]"
CC:
Subj:   tauber

From: Lou Burnard <[hidden email]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 94 16:04:46 BST
To: [hidden email]
Subject: tauber

On the Unix system I use for TEI development work, I have a
declaration which begins like this:

SGML_PATH=./%S:/home/lou/TEI/%C/%N.ent:/home/lou/TEI/odd/%S:

This has the effect that any SYSTEM entities are searched for in the
current directory first, and then in the directory /home/lou/TEI/odd

In addition, the directory /home/lou/TEI/entities is searched for
public entities defined as being of type entities: the filename being
that used as the public entity name sufficed by .ent

So for example, a declaration-and-use like the following:

<!ENTITY  % ISOLat1       PUBLIC
            "ISO 8879-1986//ENTITIES Added Latin 1//EN"         >

%ISOLat1

causes the declarations in the file

 /home/lou/TEI/entities/ISOLat1.ent

to be embedded.

I assume that I could also put all my dtd files in a directory

/home/lou/TEI/dtd

and then invoke them by a declaration like

<!ENTITY  % teiprose       PUBLIC
            "TEI P3 1994 //DTD TEI Prose Base Tagset//EN"         >

in a similar sort of way,  but frankly, the effort in getting the
entities to work discouraged me from further experimentation. Roll on
the new improved sgmls

Lou