Geoff Sampson's comments

Lou Burnard-7
Prof Sampson's comments were received here in paper form. They were read
in on our Kurzweil scanner, which flags some typographic features (e.g.
italics) and makes a stab at others (e.g. quote marks). The tags
introduced were entirely my doing -- I just did a hasty global edit to
translate the stuff the KDEM had introduced. So absolutely nothing about
the author's competence in or opinions about SGML should be inferred from
the text as posted. You can infer that I am occasionally sloppy if you
wish, and I hereby present due apologies for same, especially to Prof
Sampson.

Could we now perhaps have some discussion of the substantial points
raised by his (and others') comments? this concentration on their
presentation is counter to the true spirit of SGML....

Lou Burnard