HTML5 Stylesheets for Chicago style citations

HTML5 Stylesheets for Chicago style citations

Nathan Gibson
Dear All,

We have been struggling to tweak our stylesheets to properly represent TEI data from biblStruct as Chicago-style text citations on our HTML pages. Does anyone happen to have some TEI biblStruct to HTML5 stylesheets for Chicago-style citations lying around?

Thanks,
Nathan

Nathan P. Gibson, Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Scholar in Syriac Studies and Digital Humanities
Vanderbilt University & Syriaca.org

Gastwissenschaftler
Institut für den Nahen und Mittleren Osten
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Re: HTML5 Stylesheets for Chicago style citations

Rosanna Cantavella
Dear Nathan, and dear all,

Sorry to barge in, but in case any of you is interested, Nathan's question has brought to my mind a new service the Public Knowledge Project (creators of the wonderful platform Open Journal Systems) is testing, for parsing Works Cited lists in academic journals' articles from odf / docx into xml JATS. It's JATS and not TEI, of course; but maybe this information is useful to any of you who work with academic journals; and this project could inspire any of you for doing something similar re bibliography conversions into TEI...

Information: https://pkp.sfu.ca/2015/11/19/checking-in-on-the-pkp-xml-parsing-service/

Demo: http://pkp-udev.lib.sfu.ca/

Best,

Rosanna

Prof. Rosanna Cantavella
Universitat de València
https://uv.academia.edu/RosannaCantavella
Life Member, Clare Hall University of Cambridge
Editor, Magnificat Cultura i Literatura Medievals
https://ojs.uv.es/index.php/MCLM/

> Dear All,
>
> We have been struggling to tweak our stylesheets to properly represent TEI data from biblStruct as Chicago-style text citations on our HTML pages. Does anyone happen to have some TEI biblStruct to HTML5 stylesheets for Chicago-style citations lying around?
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan P. Gibson, Ph.D.
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> https://vanderbilt.academia.edu/NathanGibson <https://vanderbilt.academiaedu/NathanGibson>
>
> Postdoctoral Scholar in Syriac Studies and Digital Humanities
> Vanderbilt University & Syriaca.org <http://syriaca.org/>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> Gastwissenschaftler
> Institut für den Nahen und Mittleren Osten
> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Re: HTML5 Stylesheets for Chicago style citations

Laurent Romary
Good evening all,
It actually seems that PKP is using Grobid in the background (please infirm if I’m wrong) and thus uses a native TEI output than transformed into JATS.
Have a good week-end,
Laurent

Le 28 oct. 2016 à 11:14, Rosanna Cantavella <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Inria, team Alpage

Re: HTML5 Stylesheets for Chicago style citations

Rosanna Cantavella
Oh, that's a nice surprise, Laurent! It pleases me no end that behind a JATS tool, our own TEI emerges.
A good weekend to you all too,

Rosanna

> Good evening all,
> It actually seems that PKP is using Grobid in the background (please infirm if I’m wrong) and thus uses a native TEI output than transformed into JATS.
> Have a good week-end,
> Laurent
>
> > Le 28 oct. 2016 à 11:14, Rosanna Cantavella <Rosanna.Cantavella@UVES> a écrit :
> >
> > Dear Nathan, and dear all,
> >
> > Sorry to barge in, but in case any of you is interested, Nathan's question has brought to my mind a new service the Public Knowledge Project (creators of the wonderful platform Open Journal Systems) is testing, for parsing Works Cited lists in academic journals' articles from odf / docx into xml JATS. It's JATS and not TEI, of course; but maybe this information is useful to any of you who work with academic journals; and this project could inspire any of you for doing something similar re bibliography conversions into TEI...
> >
> > Information: https://pkp.sfu.ca/2015/11/19/checking-in-on-the-pkp-xml-parsing-service/
> >
> > Demo: http://pkp-udev.lib.sfu.ca/
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Rosanna
> >
> > Prof. Rosanna Cantavella
> > Universitat de València
> > https://uv.academia.edu/RosannaCantavella
> > Life Member, Clare Hall University of Cambridge
> > Editor, Magnificat Cultura i Literatura Medievals
> > https://ojs.uv.es/index.php/MCLM/
> >

> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> We have been struggling to tweak our stylesheets to properly represent TEI data from biblStruct as Chicago-style text citations on our HTML pages Does anyone happen to have some TEI biblStruct to HTML5 stylesheets for Chicago-style citations lying around?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Nathan
> >>
> >> Nathan P. Gibson, Ph.D.
> >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >> https://vanderbilt.academia.edu/NathanGibson <https://vanderbilt.academiaedu/NathanGibson>
> >>
> >> Postdoctoral Scholar in Syriac Studies and Digital Humanities
> >> Vanderbilt University & Syriaca.org <http://syriaca.org/>
> >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> Gastwissenschaftler
> >> Institut für den Nahen und Mittleren Osten
> >> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
> >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >>

> Laurent Romary
> Inria, team Alpage

Re: HTML5 Stylesheets for Chicago style citations

Charles Muller-5
Dear Nathan,

> We have been struggling to tweak our stylesheets to properly represent
> TEI data from biblStruct as Chicago-style text citations on our HTML
> pages. Does anyone happen to have some TEI biblStruct to HTML5
> stylesheets for Chicago-style citations lying around?

On this page

http://www.acmuller.net/xml-tei-tut/index.html

...please download the ZIP file linked to item #5.

Most of the relevant <biblStruct> code is contained in biblStruct.xsl,
but there are a couple of globally-employed elements, such as <title>
and <gloss> that are contained in other files, so your link needs to go
to the master file, art-trans-web.xsl.

If you get a blank page output, you might need to wrap your data with a
<div1> tag, since I use these in my work. If something else is not
functioning, please let me know, and I'll try to figure it out
(everything works here now...).

You may freely use, modify, and redistribute these sheets as you like.

I also use them for writing my academic articles and book manuscripts,
with most of my publishers expecting Chicago style.

Regards,

Chuck

---------------------------
A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office Phone: 03-5841-3735

http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @H_Buddhism

On 10/28/2016 11:48 PM, Laurent Romary wrote:

> It actually seems that PKP is using Grobid in the background (please
> infirm if I’m wrong) and thus uses a native TEI output than transformed
> into JATS.

Last year in my XSLT class, we wrote a TEI-biblStruct-to-RIS sheet (also
available at http://www.acmuller.net/xml-tei-tut/index.html). This year
we are planning to do a TEI-biblStruct-to-JATS sheet. I'll keep you posted.

Chuck

---------------------------

Twitter: @H_Buddhism

Re: HTML5 Stylesheets for Chicago style citations

Charles Muller-5
Dear Nathan (and others),

I've added a sample TEI-P5 bibliography to the package
(biblStruct-test.xml), so if you have any problems, please use this for
comparison. This is still a work in progress, so if I've missed any
details, I'd be delighted to hear about them.

Chuck

---------------------------
A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office Phone: 03-5841-3735

http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @H_Buddhism

Re: HTML5 Stylesheets for Chicago style citations

Kevin Hawkins-4
I'm not aware of Grobid being used in the PKP's XML Parsing Stack.  It
does, however, use meTypeset, which is a fork of OxGarage.  More at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279666/ .  As you'll see, it does
more than parse citations.  --Kevin

On 10/28/16 10:24 AM, Rosanna Cantavella wrote:

> Oh, that's a nice surprise, Laurent! It pleases me no end that behind a JATS tool, our own TEI emerges.
> A good weekend to you all too,
>
> Rosanna
>
>> Good evening all,
>> It actually seems that PKP is using Grobid in the background (please infirm if I’m wrong) and thus uses a native TEI output than transformed into JATS.
>> Have a good week-end,
>> Laurent
>>
>>> Le 28 oct. 2016 à 11:14, Rosanna Cantavella <Rosanna.Cantavella@UVES> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Dear Nathan, and dear all,
>>>
>>> Sorry to barge in, but in case any of you is interested, Nathan's question has brought to my mind a new service the Public Knowledge Project (creators of the wonderful platform Open Journal Systems) is testing, for parsing Works Cited lists in academic journals' articles from odf / docx into xml JATS. It's JATS and not TEI, of course; but maybe this information is useful to any of you who work with academic journals; and this project could inspire any of you for doing something similar re bibliography conversions into TEI...
>>>
>>> Information: https://pkp.sfu.ca/2015/11/19/checking-in-on-the-pkp-xml-parsing-service/
>>>
>>> Demo: http://pkp-udev.lib.sfu.ca/
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Rosanna
>>>
>>> Prof. Rosanna Cantavella
>>> Universitat de València
>>> https://uv.academia.edu/RosannaCantavella
>>> Life Member, Clare Hall University of Cambridge
>>> Editor, Magnificat Cultura i Literatura Medievals
>>> https://ojs.uv.es/index.php/MCLM/

>> Laurent Romary
>> Inria, team Alpage
>> [hidden email]

Re: HTML5 Stylesheets for Chicago style citations

Nathan Gibson
Dear All,

Thank you for these great responses. We have a few good possibilities to work with now.

Best,
Nathan