ID/IDREF vs. XPointer

Thomas Schmidt-3
Dear TEI experts,

I haven't managed to find a  authoritative answer to this in the
documentation: will my XML document still be XML compliant if I use
IDREFs (as in 2b) instead of XPointers (as in 2a and the guideline
examples) to point to some element *within* the current XML document?

[1] <person xml:id="CJ">
[2a] <u who="#CJ">
[2b] <u who="CJ">

http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/teiweb/Activities/SO/sow02.xml?ID=body.1_div.2
discusses the most important pros and cons of both approaches. For
what I want to do, declaring @who as an IDREF (in XML Schema) has a
couple of important advantages, and I see little benefit in using the
XPointer solution. However, the guidelines seem to suggest that
XPointer is the preferrable mechanism.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

Thanks,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Schmidt
IDS Mannheim
http://www.exmaralda.org
http://www.kicktionary.de

Re: ID/IDREF vs. XPointer

Thomas Schmidt-3
Sorry...

> will my XML document still be XML compliant

... I meant "TEI compliant", of course