Important travel tip to TEI conference: electronic travel authorization (eTA)

Important travel tip to TEI conference: electronic travel authorization (eTA)

De Tienne, Andre
People traveling to Canada that don’t need a visa to enter the country need to know that they will not be able to board the plane without having an eTA number (electronic travel authorization). You must apply for one and get it before leaving to the airport. I didn’t know about it and had to apply using my computer (far more efficient than the iPhone) at the counter. As a result, I missed my flight and had to be rebooked, which led to a series of misadventures from connecting flight to connecting flight. See https://www.canada-eta.ca/. It costs $7 to apply for one (a process that takes 15 minutes just to fill the form without glitch). And then wait and wait until you get first a confirmation number, and wait again until you are approved. Fortunately the gate agent knew who to call to get my application expedited.

-----------------------

André De Tienne, Ph.D.

Director and General Editor

Peirce Edition Project

Institute for American Thought

Professor of Philosophy

Department of Philosophy

Editor-in-Chief, The American Journal of Semiotics

Indiana University School of Liberal Arts

Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis

902 W New York St

ES 0010

Indianapolis, IN 46202-5197

317-274-2033

IAT: 317-274-2173

adetienn(at)iupui.edu

www.peirce.iupui.edu

liberalarts.iupui.edu/iat

Re: Important travel tip to TEI conference: electronic travel authorization (eTA)

Mylonas, Elli
I think this is not necessary for American passports but may be necessary for others. --elli

[Elli Mylonas
 Senior Digital Humanities Librarian
 and
 Center for Digital Scholarship
 University Library
 Brown University
 library.brown.edu/cds]

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 9:30 AM, De Tienne, Andre <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

IAT: <a href="tel:(317)%20274-2173" value="+13172742173" target="_blank">317-274-2173

adetienn(at)iupui.edu

www.peirce.iupui.edu

liberalarts.iupui.edu/iat

Re: Important travel tip to TEI conference: electronic travel authorization (eTA)

Paul Schaffner
Yes, the web site is remarkably reticent about travellers
with US passports, but none of us early arrivers had any
trouble. (US permanent residents, as opposed to citizens,
are, however, explicitly listed as requiring an eTA). pfs

--
Paul Schaffner  Digital Content & Collections
University of Michigan Libraries