Japanese Studies panels at TEI2018?

Hanna McGaughey
Dear TEI list,

Thank you for adding me to your list!

My name is Hanna McGaughey. I recently successfully defended my dissertation in Japanese Studies on Zeami and how he characterizes gender as qualities of agency in his 14th century treatises on performance. I have just begun a new postdoctoral project in digital humanities at the University of Trier in Germany working on digitizing precisely these treatises. My goal in this project is to more precisely delineate rather ambiguous semantic fields of important terms (such as yūgen and kakari) and to weigh the importance of writing form (kanji vs.kana) in semantic differentiation.

However, I am the only Japanese Studies scholar the the Trier Center for Digital Humanities and am looking to make contact with scholars in mine and related fields. A rather large and looming challenge for this project is the issue of ruby (furigana). Prof. Kiyonori Nagasaki notes in a blog post from last year that there are currently no TEI guidelines (http://digitalnagasaki.hatenablog.com/entry/2017/08/01/035811). Other issues include, for example, the treatment of variant kana forms (hentaigana).

I'd be very interested in knowing what panels are being organized about projects with pre-modern Japanese texts or about challenges faced and schemas developed for marking up Japanese texts. I would be delighted to hear about any opportunities to join a panel. I would also be interested in hearing from others in Japanese or East Asian Studies more broadly who might be interested in forming a panel together.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Hanna McGaughey

Re: Japanese Studies panels at TEI2018?

Martin Holmes
Hi Hanna,

I have very low language expertise (JLPT N4, working towards N3 this
year), but I have a great interest in this topic and I'm familiar with
drafting and editing the TEI Guidelines as a former member of the TEI
Technical Council. If a panel could use someone like me, I'd be glad to
participate.

On 2018-03-06 02:34 AM, Hanna McGaughey wrote:

> Dear TEI list,
>
> Thank you for adding me to your list!
>
> My name is Hanna McGaughey. I recently successfully defended my
> dissertation in Japanese Studies on Zeami and how he characterizes
> gender as qualities of agency in his 14th century treatises on
> performance. I have just begun a new postdoctoral project in digital
> humanities at the University of Trier in Germany working on digitizing
> precisely these treatises. My goal in this project is to more precisely
> delineate rather ambiguous semantic fields of important terms (such as
> /yūgen /and /kakari/) and to weigh the importance of writing form
> (/kanji vs.//kana/) in semantic differentiation.
>
> However, I am the only Japanese Studies scholar the the Trier Center for
> Digital Humanities and am looking to make contact with scholars in mine
> and related fields. A rather large and looming challenge for this
> project is the issue of ruby (/furigana/). Prof. Kiyonori Nagasaki notes
> in a blog post from last year that there are currently no TEI guidelines
> (http://digitalnagasaki.hatenablog.com/entry/2017/08/01/035811). Other
> issues include, for example, the treatment of variant /kana /forms
> (/hentaigana/).
>
> I'd be very interested in knowing what panels are being organized about
> projects with pre-modern Japanese texts or about challenges faced and
> schemas developed for marking up Japanese texts. I would be delighted to
> hear about any opportunities to join a panel. I would also be interested
> in hearing from others in Japanese or East Asian Studies more broadly
> who might be interested in forming a panel together.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Hanna McGaughey

Re: Japanese Studies panels at TEI2018?

Paterson, Duncan
Dear Hanna,

I am working on 16th century xylographs from China in TEI and would be interested in a panel on East Asian sources. There are others DH projects here in Heidelberg (just around the corner from Trier) working on Japanese manuscripts, and  a whole range of Asian sources. Feel free to contact me off list, and I can get you in touch with them if you want to keep the Panel Japan focused.

Greetings
Duncan

Duncan Paterson 杜克
PhD Candidate
Cluster of Excellence "Asia and Europe in a Global Context"
Heidelberg University
Karl Jaspers Centre for Advanced Transcultural Studies
Voßstraße 2, Building 4400, Office 007, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
P: +49 6221 54 4471

The PGP public key for this email is: C897A48C