Linking amount and price for trade records

Linking amount and price for trade records

Frederik Elwert-2
Dear list,

in a project, colleagues of mine are encoding letters that sometimes
contain trade records, e.g.

We sold 20 pound of wood for 47 £.

This can be encoded by using <measure>:

commodity="wood">20 pound of wood</measure> for <measure type="currency"
unit="GBP" quantity="47">47 £</measure>.</p>

But we are unsure about how to encode the fact that the two measures
belong together, i.e. one is the price for the other. One thing we
thought of was just using @corresp, but I’m always hesitant to recommend
this because of its catch-all nature.

Another approach could be to wrap both in a <seg> or similar that could
have a suitable @type. But this would fail easily if the two measures
are at separate locations in the XML hierarchy, e.g. adjacent paragraphs.

How have others dealt with this kind of information? I’d love to learn
about best-practice examples.

Another question that came up while discussing this is related to the
@commodity attribute: The project also develops a central index/list for
all the commodities that were traded. So it felt wrong to just encode
the commodity as a word when it could point to an entry in the list. The
only thing I could think of was adding a @commodityRef attribute of
datatype teidata.pointer. Are there other recommendations on how to
express this relationship?

Thanks,
Frederik

--
Dr. Frederik Elwert

Digital Humanities Coordinator
Center for Religious Studies
Ruhr-University Bochum

Universitätsstr. 90a
D-44780 Bochum

Phone +49(0)234 32-23024

https://dh.ceres.rub.de/

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Syd Bauman-10
The method described in https://journals.openedition.org/jtei/895 may
be overkill for your purposes, but is at the very least interesting.

> in a project, colleagues of mine are encoding letters that sometimes
> contain trade records, e.g.
>
> We sold 20 pound of wood for 47 £.
>
> This can be encoded by using <measure>:

> commodity="wood">20 pound of wood</measure> for <measure type="currency"
> unit="GBP" quantity="47">47 £</measure>.</p>
>
> But we are unsure about how to encode the fact that the two measures
> belong together, i.e. one is the price for the other. One thing we
> thought of was just using @corresp, but I’m always hesitant to recommend
> this because of its catch-all nature.
>
> Another approach could be to wrap both in a <seg> or similar that could
> have a suitable @type. But this would fail easily if the two measures
> are at separate locations in the XML hierarchy, e.g. adjacent paragraphs.
>
> How have others dealt with this kind of information? I’d love to learn
> about best-practice examples.
>
> Another question that came up while discussing this is related to the
> @commodity attribute: The project also develops a central index/list for
> all the commodities that were traded. So it felt wrong to just encode
> the commodity as a word when it could point to an entry in the list. The
> only thing I could think of was adding a @commodityRef attribute of
> datatype teidata.pointer. Are there other recommendations on how to
> express this relationship?

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Frederik Elwert-2
Thanks, Syd, this is really interesting!

I’d be also interested in suggestions how to do this with bare-bone TEI,
but the transaction mechanism is definitely something we’ll look into.

Frederik

--
Dr. Frederik Elwert

Digital Humanities coordinator
Center for Religious Studies
Ruhr-University Bochum

Universitätsstr. 90a
D-44780 Bochum

Room 2.06
Tel. +49 (0)234 32-23024

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Georg Vogeler-2
Dear Frederik,

an alternative would be the DEPCHA approach
(http://gams.uni-graz.at/context:depcha), which is maybe a bit more
lightweight and has the advantage that we are developing methods to
extract linked data from these encodings as well:
http://gams.uni-graz.at/archive/objects/context:depcha/methods/sdef:Context/get?mode=howto

Best

Georg

--
Prof. Dr. Georg Vogeler

Professur für Digital Humanities -
Zentrum für Informationsmodellierung
Universität Graz
A-8010 Graz | Elisabethstraße 59/III
Tel. +43 316 380 8033
<http://informationsmodellierung.uni-graz.at> - <http://gams.uni-graz.at>
<https://online.uni-graz.at/kfu_online/wbForschungsportal.cbShowPortal?pPersonNr=80075>

Director of the Austrian Center for Digital Humanities at OeAW
<https://acdh.oeaw.ac.at>

Institut für Dokumentologie und Editorik e.V. <http://www.i-d-e.de>
International Center for Archival Research ICARus <http://www.icar-us.eu>
Digital Medievalist <http://digitalmedievalist.org>
Text Encoding Initiative <http://tei-c.org>

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Frederik Elwert-2
Dear Georg,

thank you very much for the hint! I discovered the method while looking
at the Jahrrechnungen der Stadt Basel, and it looks quite promising.

What I did not fully understand: You use @ana to link to corresponding
terms in your ontology.¹ From the documentation, it looks like the @ana
values are some fixed terms, e.g. #bk_entry. But since the value of @ana
is a teidata.pointer, I would expect some kind of taxonomy in the header
with an @xml:id of "bk_entry". However, I could not find any definition
of such a taxonomy inside the TEI.

Am I missing something?

Best,
Frederik

¹) One might argue that @ana is used here instead of the more suitable
but missing RDFa in TEI. This is not my main interest here, but I
thought your application might be a good use case for any RDF-in-TEI
mechanism.

Am 14.07.19 um 12:23 schrieb Georg Vogeler:

> Dear Frederik,
>
> an alternative would be the DEPCHA approach
> (http://gams.uni-graz.at/context:depcha), which is maybe a bit more
> lightweight and has the advantage that we are developing methods to
> extract linked data from these encodings as well:
> http://gams.uni-graz.at/archive/objects/context:depcha/methods/sdef:Context/get?mode=howto
>

> Best
>
> Georg
>
> Am 12.07.2019 um 10:57 schrieb Frederik Elwert:
>> Thanks, Syd, this is really interesting!
>>
>> I’d be also interested in suggestions how to do this with bare-bone TEI,
>> but the transaction mechanism is definitely something we’ll look into.
>>
>> Frederik
>>

>> Am 11.07.19 um 21:36 schrieb Syd Bauman:
>>> The method described in https://journals.openedition.org/jtei/895 may
>>> be overkill for your purposes, but is at the very least interesting.

> --
> Prof. Dr. Georg Vogeler
>
> Professur für Digital Humanities -
> Zentrum für Informationsmodellierung
> Universität Graz
> A-8010 Graz | Elisabethstraße 59/III
> Tel. +43 316 380 8033
> <http://informationsmodellierung.uni-graz.at> - <http://gams.uni-graz.at>
> <https://online.uni-graz.at/kfu_online/wbForschungsportal.cbShowPortal?pPersonNr=80075>
>

> Director of the Austrian Center for Digital Humanities at OeAW
> <https://acdh.oeaw.ac.at>
>
> Institut für Dokumentologie und Editorik e.V. <http://www.i-d-e.de>
> International Center for Archival Research ICARus <http://www.icar-us.eu>
> Digital Medievalist <http://digitalmedievalist.org>
> Text Encoding Initiative <http://tei-c.org>

--
Dr. Frederik Elwert

Digital Humanities Coordinator
Center for Religious Studies
Ruhr-University Bochum

Universitätsstr. 90a
D-44780 Bochum

Phone +49(0)234 32-23024

https://dh.ceres.rub.de/

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

tardigradae
Dear Frederik,

Why won't you use <measureGrp> for this purpose? That way you could surround the two - or more - <measure>s in your text and easily extract them for further processing. This, imho, is better than your proposed wrapping in <seg> plus @type, but, of course, also leaves you with the problem of overlapping structures.

All the best,

Till

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Till Grallert, PhD
Research Associate
Orient-Institut Beirut

Co-organiser Digital Humanities Institute – Beirut 2019
Open Arabic Periodical Editions: Muḥammad Kurd ʿAlī's journal al-Muqtabas and ʿAbd al-Qādir al-Iskandarānī's al-Ḥaqāʾiq
Project Jarāʾid: A Chronology of Nineteenth Century Arabic Periodicals

> On 15 Jul 2019, at 14:17, Frederik Elwert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Georg,
>
> thank you very much for the hint! I discovered the method while looking
> at the Jahrrechnungen der Stadt Basel, and it looks quite promising.
>
> What I did not fully understand: You use @ana to link to corresponding
> terms in your ontology.¹ From the documentation, it looks like the @ana
> values are some fixed terms, e.g. #bk_entry. But since the value of @ana
> is a teidata.pointer, I would expect some kind of taxonomy in the header
> with an @xml:id of "bk_entry". However, I could not find any definition
> of such a taxonomy inside the TEI.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Best,
> Frederik
>

> ¹) One might argue that @ana is used here instead of the more suitable
> but missing RDFa in TEI. This is not my main interest here, but I
> thought your application might be a good use case for any RDF-in-TEI
> mechanism.
>

> Am 14.07.19 um 12:23 schrieb Georg Vogeler:
>> Dear Frederik,
>>
>> an alternative would be the DEPCHA approach
>> (http://gams.uni-graz.at/context:depcha), which is maybe a bit more
>> lightweight and has the advantage that we are developing methods to
>> extract linked data from these encodings as well:
>> http://gams.uni-graz.at/archive/objects/context:depcha/methods/sdef:Context/get?mode=howto
>>

>> Best
>>
>> Georg
>>
>> Am 12.07.2019 um 10:57 schrieb Frederik Elwert:
>>> Thanks, Syd, this is really interesting!
>>>
>>> I’d be also interested in suggestions how to do this with bare-bone TEI,
>>> but the transaction mechanism is definitely something we’ll look into.
>>>
>>> Frederik

>> --
>> Prof. Dr. Georg Vogeler
>>
>> Professur für Digital Humanities -
>> Zentrum für Informationsmodellierung
>> Universität Graz
>> A-8010 Graz | Elisabethstraße 59/III
>> Tel. +43 316 380 8033
>> <http://informationsmodellierung.uni-graz.at> - <http://gams.uni-graz.at>
>> <https://online.uni-graz.at/kfu_online/wbForschungsportal.cbShowPortal?pPersonNr=80075>
>>

>> Director of the Austrian Center for Digital Humanities at OeAW
>> <https://acdh.oeaw.ac.at>
>>
>> Institut für Dokumentologie und Editorik e.V. <http://www.i-d-e.de>
>> International Center for Archival Research ICARus <http://www.icar-us.eu>
>> Digital Medievalist <http://digitalmedievalist.org>
>> Text Encoding Initiative <http://tei-c.org>
>
> --
> Dr. Frederik Elwert
>
> Digital Humanities Coordinator
> Center for Religious Studies
> Ruhr-University Bochum
>
> Universitätsstr. 90a
> D-44780 Bochum
>
> Phone +49(0)234 32-23024
>
> https://dh.ceres.rub.de/

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Elisa Beshero-Bondar-2
Dear Frederik and all,
I am not sure whether this will help, but it is at least timely: Coming over the horizon with the very next release of the TEI Guidelines this week is a new way to express, define, and relate units of measurement in the TEI header: a unitDecl containing unitDef elements that define nonstandard units and can serve to express with XPath how different measurement systems relate to one another with a conversion element and attendant attributes @fromUnit, @toUnit, and @formula (which shows how to get from one to the other. A unit element or a measure element encoded in your text can point with @unitRef into the @unitDecl for more information. The examples we have been coming up with are mostly to do with defining how a couple of unit notations (e.g. of weights, of temperature, of currency) can be converted from one to the other at different historical time ranges. But I think you might find the expanded labeling, defining, and descriptive capacity in unitDecl to be useful for your purposes here to define how much a certain measured quantity of something costs. More on this very soon with the forthcoming release!

Best,
Elisa

Elisa Beshero-Bondar
Associate Professor of English
Director, Center for the Digital Text
University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>> <http://informationsmodellierung.uni-graz.at> - <http://gams.uni-graz.at>
>>> <https://online.uni-graz.at/kfu_online/wbForschungsportal.cbShowPortal?pPersonNr=80075>
>>>

>>> Director of the Austrian Center for Digital Humanities at OeAW
>>> <https://acdh.oeaw.ac.at>
>>>
>>> Institut für Dokumentologie und Editorik e.V. <http://www.i-d-e.de>
>>> International Center for Archival Research ICARus <http://www.icar-us.eu>
>>> Digital Medievalist <http://digitalmedievalist.org>
>>> Text Encoding Initiative <http://tei-c.org>
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Frederik Elwert
>>
>> Digital Humanities Coordinator
>> Center for Religious Studies
>> Ruhr-University Bochum
>>
>> Universitätsstr. 90a
>> D-44780 Bochum
>>
>> Phone +49(0)234 32-23024
>>
>> https://dh.ceres.rub.de/

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Pedro Carrillo
Hello Frederik and List members:

Maybe a segmentation element like <s> or <seg> could work. At the end they work like structural resources if you like . You just need to define your @type and go on. In that context the use of both elements are valid. Just a thought ;-)

Best regards,

Pedro Carrillo

https://dh.ceres.rub.de/

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Frederik Elwert-2
Dear Till,

thanks! I completely overlooked measureGrp. I guess a measureGrp with
@type="transaction" could really work for our purposes.

Best,
Frederik

https://dh.ceres.rub.de/

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Frederik Elwert-2
Dear Elisa,

thanks for the heads up! I’ll keep an eye on the next release and
evaluate the new features for our purposes.

Best,
Frederik

https://dh.ceres.rub.de/

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Frederik Elwert-2

thanks for the feedback so far. Maybe it was not the best idea to
combine two issues in one mail. So I’d like to ask again about opinions
regarding references to a central commodity taxonomy:

> Another question that came up while discussing this is related to the
> @commodity attribute: The project also develops a central index/list for
> all the commodities that were traded. So it felt wrong to just encode
> the commodity as a word when it could point to an entry in the list. The
> only thing I could think of was adding a @commodityRef attribute of
> datatype teidata.pointer. Are there other recommendations on how to
> express this relationship?

I saw that DEPCHA uses values like commodity="#wiki_Q11002". But this
seems to use a project specific convention to use pointer-like values
where TEI expects simple words.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Frederik

https://dh.ceres.rub.de/
lou

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

lou
Adding a @commodityRef would certainly be an option. Another, perhaps less disruptive, might be to redefine the datatype of @commodity as teidata.pointer. In either case, I'd recommend suppling the values using a prefix notation (e.g. commodity="myProjectDefinition:wool", where "myProjectDefinition" is a prefix defined by a <prefixDecl>, possibly with a mapping elsewhere, since to software not interested in validating it, this looks just like an ordinary TEI word.

Dear all,

https://dh.ceres.rub.de/

Re: Linking amount and price for trade records

Georg Vogeler-2
Dear Frederic,

you are indeed right pointing to the tei:datapointer definition of @ana.
The last version of the definition you've seen was just a laziness on
our side which is now replaced by the correct bk:* prefix notation which
is expanded in the prefixDef in the teiHeader into a full URI to be used
in the RDF representation of the data.

We've updated the description in
http://gams.uni-graz.at/archive/objects/context:depcha/methods/sdef:Context/get?mode=howto.

Looking forward to further comments!