Modelling court structures (organisational chart/diagram)

Modelling court structures (organisational chart/diagram)

Frederike Neuber
Dear colleagues,

in a project we would like to model and visualize the structure of the Prussian court as an organisation chart/diagram. We are thinking about modelling the structure as a mixture of nested <listOrg> and <listPerson>, but we also consider the use of <taxonomy>. What do you think; are there any arguments for or against one of the above mentioned options or does anyone have any other experience with modelling organisational charts?

Thanks a lot and best wishes,
Frederike

Re: Modelling court structures (organisational chart/diagram)

Jean-Paul Rehr
Dear Frederike,

The recommended method for modelling relationships, hierarchical or not, is to use <relation>, populating it with your people, organizations, or whatever other objects. I personally use it to model family and organizational relations. Notwithstanding the recommendations, I find it much easier to manage than nested objects - everything is in one place - and the recursive code required to output the relations seems to me easier to control in this format.

Best,
JPR

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 1:58 PM Frederike Neuber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear colleagues,

in a project we would like to model and visualize the structure of the Prussian court as an organisation chart/diagram. We are thinking about modelling the structure as a mixture of nested <listOrg> and <listPerson>, but we also consider the use of <taxonomy>. What do you think; are there any arguments for or against one of the above mentioned options or does anyone have any other experience with modelling organisational charts?

Thanks a lot and best wishes,
Frederike

Re: Modelling court structures (organisational chart/diagram)

Martin de la Iglesia-3
Dear Frederike,

Is there a reason why you want to use TEI for this in the first place? Why not use e.g. RDF instead?

—
Martin de la Iglesia
Kommentierte digitale Edition der Reise- und Sammlungsbeschreibungen Philipp Hainhofers (1578-1647)
Herzog August Bibliothek, Lessingplatz 1, 38304 Wolfenbüttel     Tel. +49 5331 808-125

Re: Modelling court structures (organisational chart/diagram)

Frederike Neuber
Dear Jean Paul,

thanks for the hint, I will take a closer look at <relation>.

Dear Martin,

also in my opinion, RDF would be more suitable as a model, but unfortunately we are bound to an existing technical infrastructure which is XML/TEI and we have to make the best out of it.

Best,
Frederike

Am Di., 3. Nov. 2020 um 14:20 Uhr schrieb Martin de la Iglesia <[hidden email]>:
Dear Frederike,

Is there a reason why you want to use TEI for this in the first place? Why not use e.g. RDF instead?

—
Martin de la Iglesia
Kommentierte digitale Edition der Reise- und Sammlungsbeschreibungen Philipp Hainhofers (1578-1647)
Herzog August Bibliothek, Lessingplatz 1, 38304 Wolfenbüttel     Tel. +49 5331 808-125

Re: Modelling court structures (organisational chart/diagram)

Martin Holmes
Hi all,

You might also consider <tree> and friends:

<https://tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-tree.html>

to model the structure, linked to listPerson/listOrg data.

--
Humanities Computing and Media Centre