Moving from relation to annotation?

Pietro Liuzzo
Dear all,

In our project we use quite extensively <relation> to actually add triples which allow us to easily encode a relation between two or more entities into our TEI files. We enter e.g.
<relation name="saws:isDirectCopyOf" active="betmas:BNFet2#ms_i1" passive="betmas:BSLet169“/>
Which we then transform into
<relation
     name="saws:isDirectCopyOf

I was of the impression that this could be replaced by using <annotation> inside standOff. Now, I am really unsure how I would actually do this.
Perhaps I am just wrong, and annotation is just not for this kind of linked data? In which case how would I add my linked data into standOff? Should I just put them into a listRelation inside standOff, for example?

Thanks a lot!
Pietro

Re: Moving from relation to annotation?

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco-2
Dear Pietro,
perhaps not a direct answer to your query, but there is an ongoing
discussion about how to encode RDF-like triples in TEI and a recent
proposal to add the RDFa attributes to a TEI customization. See this
issue on GitHub:

Encoding RDF relationships in TEI (TEI+RDFa and alternatives)
https://github.com/TEIC/TEI/issues/1860

BTW, your current approach looks more than reasonable to me, what would
you gain in putting everything in <annotation>s in <standOff>?

Best regards,

Il 11.09.2020 13:50 Pietro Liuzzo ha scritto:

> Dear all,
>
> In our project we use quite extensively <relation> to actually add
> triples which allow us to easily encode a relation between two or more
> entities into our TEI files. We enter e.g.
> <relation name="saws:isDirectCopyOf" active="betmas:BNFet2#ms_i1"
> passive="betmas:BSLet169“/>
> Which we then transform into
> <relation
>      name="saws:isDirectCopyOf“
>     ref="http://purl.org/saws/ontology#isDirectCopyOf“
>     active="https://betamasaheft.eu/BNFet2#ms_i1“
>     passive="https://betamasaheft.eu/BSLet169"/>
>
> I was of the impression that this could be replaced by using
> <annotation> inside standOff. Now, I am really unsure how I would
> actually do this.
> Perhaps I am just wrong, and annotation is just not for this kind of
> linked data? In which case how would I add my linked data into
> standOff? Should I just put them into a listRelation inside standOff,
> for example?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Pietro

Re: Moving from relation to annotation?

Pietro Liuzzo
Dear Roberto,
Thanks a lot! I did miss the latest developments and the ODD customisation.
What was tempting for me was the possibility to put linked data in a place for linked data, with no further gain at the moment, really. But you made me also see now that Hugh Cayless had already answered part of my question more than a year ago https://github.com/TEIC/TEI/issues/311. I will do that for now (move relation to listRelation into standOff), and refrain from any change to our use of relation for the moment.
Thanks again!
All best
Pietro