Quantcast

ODD tutorials

Lou Burnard-6
To while away the weary wintry hours, I have been writing a bit of
entry-level tutorial documentation about some of the more recondite
aspects of the ODD system. Three of them (they're very short!) are now
at a point where I think they might be worth a look by someone else, so
I hereby announce their availability and would warmly welcome any
comment, correction, suggestion, brickbats, etc. you may have [1]. You
can read them online[2] at the following addresses:

http://teic.github.io/TCW/howtoGenerate.html : how to generate an ODD
automatically from a bunch of TEI XML documents

http://teic.github.io/TCW/howtoChain.html : how to derive one ODD from
another

http://teic.github.io/TCW/purifyDoc.html : how to upgrade an existing
ODD to use the new ("pure ODD") features introduced with release 3.0 of
TEI P5

I chose these topics because at least one person has asked me for
guidance on them in the last few months, but I would also welcome
suggestions for other things that need to be better explained (or
explained at all). I know that many members of the TEI Community are
well clued up in how to use the ODD system, largely thanks to several
excellent courses run by several people (you know who you are); but I
think there's still scope for some more evangelism on the topic.

[1] Probably not necessary to send lengthy comments to the whole list;
I assume most of its readers know where to find me.

[2] These HTML files use the super cool CETEICEAN thingy to access the
original TEI XML sources directly from the obscure corner of the TEI
Github repo where they are maintained.

Re: ODD tutorials

Piotr Bański
Dear Lou,

Thankyouuuu...! Getting down to it right away.

Best,

   Piotr

On 04/01/17 21:12, Lou Burnard wrote:

> To while away the weary wintry hours, I have been writing a bit of
> entry-level tutorial documentation about some of the more recondite
> aspects of the ODD system. Three of them (they're very short!) are now
> at a point where I think they might be worth a look by someone else, so
> I hereby announce their availability and would warmly welcome any
> comment, correction, suggestion, brickbats, etc. you may have [1]. You
> can read them online[2] at the following addresses:
>
> http://teic.github.io/TCW/howtoGenerate.html : how to generate an ODD
> automatically from a bunch of TEI XML documents
>
> http://teic.github.io/TCW/howtoChain.html : how to derive one ODD from
> another
>
> http://teic.github.io/TCW/purifyDoc.html : how to upgrade an existing
> ODD to use the new ("pure ODD") features introduced with release 3.0 of
> TEI P5
>
> I chose these topics because at least one person has asked me for
> guidance on them in the last few months, but I would also welcome
> suggestions for other things that need to be better explained (or
> explained at all). I know that many members of the TEI Community are
> well clued up in how to use the ODD system, largely thanks to several
> excellent courses run by several people (you know who you are); but I
> think there's still scope for some more evangelism on the topic.
>
> [1] Probably not necessary to send lengthy comments to the whole list;
> I assume most of its readers know where to find me.
>
> [2] These HTML files use the super cool CETEICEAN thingy to access the
> original TEI XML sources directly from the obscure corner of the TEI
> Github repo where they are maintained.

Re: ODD tutorials

Elisa Beshero-Bondar
Lou-- Thank you! These are a wonderful resource! I'm in the throes of launching semester classes, but one of my former students is new to ODDs and counselling someone on making one now. I'll ask her to take a look at these and see if she has any suggestions.

Elisa
--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
Director, Center for the Digital Text | Associate Professor of English

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Lou Burnard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Maus
Sadly all I get is this an error message in the javascript console:

,----
| TypeError: strings[0].includes is not a function
| if (strings[0].includes("<")) {
| ---^
|
| CETEI.js (Line 742, Column 16)
`----

using GNU IceCat 38.8.0
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0

This "super cool CETEICEAN thingy" looks like a tremendous step
backwards in accessability and usability to me.

Best,
 -- David

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 21:12:53 +0100,
Lou Burnard wrote:

> To while away the weary wintry hours, I have been writing a bit of
> entry-level tutorial documentation about some of the more recondite
> aspects of the ODD system. Three of them (they're very short!) are now
> at a point where I think they might be worth a look by someone else,
> so I hereby announce their availability and would warmly welcome any
> comment, correction, suggestion, brickbats, etc. you may have [1]. You
> can read them online[2] at the following addresses:
>
> http://teic.github.io/TCW/howtoGenerate.html : how to generate an ODD
> automatically from a bunch of TEI XML documents
>
> http://teic.github.io/TCW/howtoChain.html : how to derive one ODD from
> another
>
> http://teic.github.io/TCW/purifyDoc.html : how to upgrade an existing
> ODD to use the new ("pure ODD") features introduced with release 3.0
> of TEI P5
>
> I chose these topics because at least one person has asked me for
> guidance on them in the last few months, but I would also welcome
> suggestions for other things that need to be better explained (or
> explained at all). I know that many members of the TEI Community are
> well clued up in how to use the ODD system, largely thanks to several
> excellent courses run by several people (you know who you are); but I
> think there's still scope for some more evangelism on the topic.
>
> [1] Probably not necessary to send lengthy comments to the whole list;
> I assume most of its readers know where to find me.
>
> [2] These HTML files use the super cool CETEICEAN thingy to access the
> original TEI XML sources directly from the obscure corner of the TEI
> Github repo where they are maintained.

--
David Maus, Bibliothekarische IT / Digital Humanities
Herzog August Bibliothek, D-38299 Wolfenbüttel, Phone +49 5331 808-317
PGP Key 0x27023DFCE78FF66C
http://dmaus.name ~ http://github.com/dmj

Re: ODD tutorials

Andreas Wagner
Dear David, dear list,

Am 05.01.2017 um 08:13 schrieb David Maus:

> ,----
> | TypeError: strings[0].includes is not a function
> | if (strings[0].includes("<")) {
> | ---^
> |
> | CETEI.js (Line 742, Column 16)
> `----
>
> using GNU IceCat 38.8.0
> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
>
> This "super cool CETEICEAN thingy" looks like a tremendous step
> backwards in accessability and usability to me.

As of [1], String.prototype.includes is one of the few ES6 string functions
that the Firefox 38 engine did not yet support. However, Ff 38 is obsolete for
more than a year now, and newer firefox releases support the function
(Extended Support Release 45 was in March 2016).
Yet GNU Icecat seems to have moved to 45 only in Dec 2016, and on Windows and
Mac it is still on 38.8.0 [2]. Since you are on windows, I guess you are out
of luck for the moment.

You could bug the IceCat maintainers to hurry with their windows release, or
maybe you (or even CETEICEAN upstream) could use indexOf() instead of
includes() according to [3].

[1] http://kangax.github.io/compat-table/es6/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat#Releases
[3]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31340868/includes-not-working-in-all-browsers

HTH,
Andreas

--
Dr. Andreas Wagner                          twitter: @anwagnerdreas
Project "The School of Salamanca"           web: http://salamanca.school

IGF HP 25 / R 2.455
Norbert-Wollheim-Platz 1
60629 Frankfurt am Main

Re: ODD tutorials

Lou Burnard-6
Thanks Andreas for debugging this : I should probably have warned
readers that CETEICEAN works only online and only with recent browsers.
However, I've taken the liberty of copying your message to the issue
tracker at https://github.com/TEIC/CETEIcean/issues so that the
CETEICEAN developers don't forget about this particular backwards
compatibility problem.

I've also now uploaded static PDF versions of the tutorials for those
who like to print things out. Be warned though that these are dated
versions, which will not necessarily reflect the current state of the
text, since I don't plan to regenerate them every time I make a  minor
typo correction. Grab them from
http://teic.github.io/PDF/

On 05/01/17 08:49, Andreas Wagner wrote:

> Dear David, dear list,
>
> Am 05.01.2017 um 08:13 schrieb David Maus:
>> ,----
>> | TypeError: strings[0].includes is not a function
>> | if (strings[0].includes("<")) {
>> | ---^
>> |
>> | CETEI.js (Line 742, Column 16)
>> `----
>>
>> using GNU IceCat 38.8.0
>> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
>>
>> This "super cool CETEICEAN thingy" looks like a tremendous step
>> backwards in accessability and usability to me.
> As of [1], String.prototype.includes is one of the few ES6 string functions
> that the Firefox 38 engine did not yet support. However, Ff 38 is obsolete for
> more than a year now, and newer firefox releases support the function
> (Extended Support Release 45 was in March 2016).
> Yet GNU Icecat seems to have moved to 45 only in Dec 2016, and on Windows and
> Mac it is still on 38.8.0 [2]. Since you are on windows, I guess you are out
> of luck for the moment.
>
> You could bug the IceCat maintainers to hurry with their windows release, or
> maybe you (or even CETEICEAN upstream) could use indexOf() instead of
> includes() according to [3].
>
> [1] http://kangax.github.io/compat-table/es6/
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat#Releases
> [3]
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31340868/includes-not-working-in-all-browsers
>
> HTH,
> Andreas

Re: ODD tutorials

Hugh Cayless-2
I am sorry CETEIcean didn’t work for you. It has not been tested on a very wide array of browsers, and I don’t have easy access to old versions of Firefox to test it on. I’ve added a polyfill for Array.includes which I hope will solve the particular problem you report—though it may of course only uncover other incompatibilities.

A gentle reminder that this list encourages *constructive* criticism. A tremendous step backwards it may be at the moment, but with your help perhaps one day it won’t be terrible. Thanks for the bug report.

All the best,
Hugh

/**
 *  Hugh A. Cayless, Ph.D
 *  Chair, TEI Technical Council
 *  [hidden email]
 *  Duke Collaboratory for Classics Computing (DC3)
 *  http://blogs.library.duke.edu/dcthree/
**/

`----

Lou Burnard wrote:

[...]

Serge Heiden-2
Le 05/01/2017 à 13:42, Hugh Cayless a écrit :
> A gentle reminder that this list encourages *constructive* criticism. A tremendous step backwards it may be at the moment, but with your help perhaps one day it won’t be terrible. Thanks for the bug
> report.
+1

--
Dr. Serge Heiden, [hidden email], http://textometrie.ens-lyon.fr