Orlando and Women Writers Online: Free for the Month of March

Orlando and Women Writers Online: Free for the Month of March

Connell, Sarah
***With apologies for cross-posting***

Dear all,

We are delighted to announce that both Orlando: Women’s Writing in the British Isles from the Beginnings to the Present (orlando.cambridge.org) and Women Writers Online (wwp.northeastern.edu/wwo) will once again be free during March, in celebration of Women’s History Month.

Orlando is an online cultural history generated from the lives and works of women writers. At present, it contains: 1,325 author entries (1,025 British women writers, 175 male writers, 166 other women writers—listed twice if their nationality shifted); 13,607 free-standing chronology entries; and 26,278 bibliographical listings. More than 31,000 people and 7,500 organizations are mentioned or discussed somewhere in the textbase. For more on getting started with Orlando, see: orlando.cambridge.org/public/svDocumentation?d_id=QUICKTIPSFORNEWUSERS

To access Orlando during March, please log in with the following credentials:
Username: womenshistory18
Password: orlando18

The Women Writers Online collection includes more than 400 texts written and translated by women, first published between 1526 and 1850 (no credentials are required to access WWO; you can search and read the texts in the collection at: wwo.wwp.northeastern.edu/WWO). In addition to WWO, the Women Writers Project also has several publications that are always open access, including Women Writers in Review (wwp.northeastern.edu/review), a collection of close to 700 reviews of and responses to works by the authors in WWO, and Women Writers in Context (wwp.northeastern.edu/context), a collection of essays exploring topics related to early women’s writing; we also have a growing collection of teaching materials (wwp.northeastern.edu/wwo/teaching/pedagogical-dev.html). For more on getting started with WWO, see this blog post: wwp.northeastern.edu/blog/free-march-2018.

Please feel free to contact us if you would like more information about any of these publications; the Orlando Project can be reached by email at [hidden email] and the WWP is at [hidden email].

We hope you enjoy the collections!

Warmly,

Julia, Sarah, Susan, Isobel, Corinne, and Kathryn

Susan Brown, Technical Director
Isobel Grundy, Research Director
Corrinne Harol, Literary Director
Kathryn Holland, Senior Research Fellow
Orlando Project
University of Alberta and University of Guelph

Julia Flanders, Director
Sarah Connell, Assistant Director
Women Writers Project
Northeastern University

Re: Orlando and Women Writers Online: Free for the Month of March

Connell, Sarah
Dear all,

We hope that you’ve been enjoying the Orlando and Women Writers Online collections this month! I’m writing now to share some exciting news about WWO.

First, we’ve released an update to the WWO interface that provides the option to select either regularized or original typography; for example, in the regularized format:
  • “ouer” would be “over” (“u” in the source material is regularized to “v” in the interface)
  • “iudgments” would be “judgments”
  • “VVomen” would be “Women” and
  • “againſt” would be “against”.
Users can select from the two displays with a checkbox on the left of the WWO interface. This update also improves the responsive sizing for the reading and navigation panes in WWO and offers additional functionality for keyboard navigation. This initial update is the first phase of a much larger set of improvements to Women Writers Online, which we plan to release by next year. We have implemented this update for most of the texts in Women Writers Online and expect to have full implementation by summer 2018. Because we are releasing this update a bit later than we’d hoped to, we’re extending the free period for Women Writers Online until April 7th.

Second, we are sharing a prototype visualization (http://wwp.neu.edu/wwo/lab/names-viz/index.html), developed by graduate students Sarah Campbell and Zheng-yan Yu as part of Professor Cody Dunne’s Special Topics in Data Visualization course. This interactive visualization shows references to the top twenty person names, place names, and organization names in in Women Writers Online, highlighting patterns in where these appear in WWO by publication date and genre. For example, there is a cluster of references to the British Parliament in nonfiction texts from around the time of the Interregnum in the seventeenth century. The visualization also links back to the texts in Women Writers Online, so you can see the individual names shown in their contexts. To read more about how this visualization was created and how it can be used, see http://wwp.northeastern.edu/blog/new-visualization/.

We very much hope that you enjoy these new materials and we would welcome your feedback: please email [hidden email] with any suggestions or comments.

Happy Women’s History Month!

Sarah