Particular copy of early modern printed edition

Particular copy of early modern printed edition

Hayim Lapin
Hello all,
For our transcription project we generally utilize medieval manuscripts, but we do also transcribe early modern editions. In at least one particular case, we are transcribing from a particular copy that has extensive marginal notes.
I am looking for the best way to make this explicit in the header and link to (a) a bibliographical catalog of printed Hebrew books; and (b) the repository for the specific copy.
For manuscripts I do the equivalent identification and linking in the msDesc element. Is there a clean way to do this for a print edition that (ideally) is structurally parallel to msDesc?
Thanks for any advice!
HL
--
Hayim Lapin
Professor of History
+1 301 405 4296
www.digitalmishnah.umd.edu | www.erabbinica.org

Re: Particular copy of early modern printed edition

Martin Holmes
Hi Hayim,

I believe it is generally thought that it's perfectly OK to use msDesc
for things which are not manuscripts. We had a discussion some years ago
about whether its name should be changed to make such uses seem less
incongruous. So I would just use msDesc, and get the benefit of being
able to align your MS metadata with your early modern print metadata
more easily.

On 2017-05-25 04:51 PM, Hayim Lapin wrote:

> Hello all,
> For our transcription project we generally utilize medieval manuscripts,
> but we do also transcribe early modern editions. In at least one
> particular case, we are transcribing from a particular copy that has
> extensive marginal notes.
> I am looking for the best way to make this explicit in the header and
> link to (a) a bibliographical catalog of printed Hebrew books; and (b)
> the repository for the specific copy.
> For manuscripts I do the equivalent identification and linking in the
> msDesc element. Is there a clean way to do this for a print edition that
> (ideally) is structurally parallel to msDesc?
> Thanks for any advice!
> HL
>
> --
> Hayim Lapin
> Professor of History
> Robert H. Smith Professor of Jewish Studies
> 2115 Francis Scott Key Hall
> College Park, MD 20190
> +1 301 405 4296
> www.digitalmishnah.umd.edu  |www.erabbinica.org

Re: Particular copy of early modern printed edition

Burghart Marjorie
Dear Hayim,
I would even argue that your particular copy *is* indeed a manuscript, since its distinctive feature is marginal notes, presumably handwritten :)

On 2017-05-25 04:51 PM, Hayim Lapin wrote:

> Hello all,
> For our transcription project we generally utilize medieval manuscripts,
> but we do also transcribe early modern editions. In at least one
> particular case, we are transcribing from a particular copy that has
> extensive marginal notes.
> I am looking for the best way to make this explicit in the header and
> link to (a) a bibliographical catalog of printed Hebrew books; and (b)
> the repository for the specific copy.
> For manuscripts I do the equivalent identification and linking in the
> msDesc element. Is there a clean way to do this for a print edition that
> (ideally) is structurally parallel to msDesc?
> Thanks for any advice!
> HL
>
> --
> Hayim Lapin
> Professor of History
> Robert H. Smith Professor of Jewish Studies
> 2115 Francis Scott Key Hall
> College Park, MD 20190
> +1 301 405 4296
> www.digitalmishnah.umd.edu  |www.erabbinica.org

Re: Particular copy of early modern printed edition

Hayim Lapin
Well it's both: we would transcribe the first edition anyway as a way of getting at what text was available to ca 1500 Italian printers (and a paradigm for the later print transmission of the text), but this particular copy is interesting since the marginalia not only fix many print errors but also revise in the direction of a different ms tradition.
Thanks for "permission" to use msDesc here!
All best,
HL

+1 301 405 4296
www.digitalmishnah.umd.edu | www.erabbinica.org

Re: Particular copy of early modern printed edition

Hayim Lapin
Would something like this work? (I'd replace @type with @ana and point to a specification/description. Is this abuse of @corresp?)

	      <msIdentifier>
                  <settlement>Jerusalem</settlement>
                  <repository>National Library of Israel</repository>
                  <idno type="nli"
                     corresp="http://aleph.nli.org.il:80/F/?func=direct&amp;doc_number=001143297&amp;local_base=NNLALL"
                     >P1143297</idno>
                  <altIdentifier>
                     <collection>Bibliography of the Hebrew Book</collection>
                     <idno type="bhb"
                        corresp="http://aleph.nli.org.il:80/F/&amp;func=direct&amp;doc_number=000150614&amp;local_base=MBI01"
                        >150614</idno>
                  </altIdentifier>