Place in header for derived citations

Joey Takeda
Dear list,

Is there a best practice for encoded the citation *for that file* in the teiHeader? Ch.2 of the guidelines says that:

a file description, tagged fileDesc, containing a full bibliographical description of the computer file itself, from which a user of the text could derive a proper bibliographic citation, or which a librarian or archivist could use in creating a catalogue entry recording its presence within a library or archive.

But is there a place where I should put that "derived" citation for a user? I want to create the recommended citation for each document (in various forms) for the end user to ease in citing, etc, which I then display in the final web app, so it would be nice to include that in the TEI file itself.

I know that I could put that information in, say, the <notesStmt>, but I'm wondering if there are any better ways of doing this.

Thanks!

All best,
Joey

Re: Place in header for derived citations

Laurent Romary
Dear Joey,
I would tend to put this in the publicationStmt and more precisely within the licence element if you have one so that a user coming across a lecicence would also find the way to cite the corresponding document.
Cheers,
Laurent

Le 17 juil. 2019 à 22:14, Joey Takeda <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Inria, team ALMAnaCH

Re: Place in header for derived citations

Lavrentev Alexey

Dear Joey,

FWIW, in the Base de français médiéval project, we give this information in a <bibl> inside <licence> (as Laurent suggested). Here is the full xPath:

/TEI/teiHeader[1]/fileDesc[1]/publicationStmt[1]/availability[1]/licence[1]/ab[@type='how_to_cite']/bibl[1]

You can find a complete teiHeader sample at this URL:

http://txm.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/bfm/catalog/qgraal_cm-teiHeader.xml

Best regards,

Alexei Lavrentiev
Ingénieur de recherche
UMR 5317 IHRIM, CNRS
Le 18/07/2019 à 10:15, Laurent Romary a écrit :
[...]

Dear Alexey and Laurent,

Thank you for the response! It's interesting that you both put recommended citations in the <licence>; I was initially thinking that the somewhere within <publicationStmt> seemed the right place to put it, so I'm glad to see that others agree.

Thanks again,

Joey

Re: Place in header for derived citations

Kevin Hawkins

When rightholders grant permission (a license) to reproduce a work, they sometimes specify the way that the work should be cited.  I admit that I've always found this odd (what if they give you a citation according to Chicago style, but you're using MLA in your work?), but that's the practice.  In this case, I certainly agree that including the citation in a <bibl> inside of <license> is appropriate.

However, if you are simply providing formatted citations according to various styles, without these styles being related to a license in any particular way, putting it inside of <license> is strange.  I am inclined not to encode the formatted citations anywhere in the document but instead to have a stylesheet derive these based on the structured information within <fileDesc>.  This has the advantage that if the MLA publishes a new version of the style manual in a few years, changing the way things are to be formatted, you only need to revise the stylesheet rather than touching each encoded text.

Kevin

On 7/18/19 3:35 AM, Alexey Lavrentev wrote:

[...]

Hi Kevin,

You raise a good point here; I am doing precisely what you describe in your second paragraph, which is creating a variety of citations in many formats that aren't necessarily tied to any one license.

However, the way that I'm doing this is such that I never actually encode the citation by hand. I run the TEI files through a suite of processes to create a static HTML page, which includes adding all of the people, bibls, orgs, et cetera mentioned in the document to various places in the header so that the documents can be a "standalone" format. This is like what MoEML does with their TEI files: https://mapoflondon.uvic.ca/xml_outputs.htm, with the citations all contained in the <notesStmt>.

So, I certainly could just do this during the HTML production process, but I like the idea of having the recommended citation travel with the TEI document.

Personally, I think the <publicationStmt> really is the right place for it. The way that I think I'm going to proceed is to use an <availability> with an <ab> and a <listBibl>. So, for a document called LiChingsBaby1, I'll have something like this:

<availability status="open">
<ab>
<listBibl xml:id="LiChingsBaby1_citations">
<head>Citations</head>
<bibl type="mla">[[citation here]]</bibl>
<bibl type="apa">[[citation here]]</bibl>
<bibl type="chicago">[[citation here]]</bibl>
</listBibl>
</ab>
</availability>

It's not an ideal solution, but I think it's workable and not incorrect.

Best,
Joey