Problems using P3 with Emacs/psgml

Peter Flynn
I have started up Emacs (19.25, SunOS 4.1.3, OpenWin) and loaded a
bare-bones TEI2 header. Now I'm starting to add
<TEXT><BODY><HEAD>...</HEAD><DIV0><P>... and after a few words I want
to insert <FORENAME>

It won't let me. Picking `Markup'/`Insert element' shows no entry for
<FORENAME> nor for <PERSON*>. I have included

<!ENTITY % TEI.prose 'INCLUDE'>
<!ENTITY % TEI.verse 'INCLUDE'>
<!ENTITY % TEI.names.dates 'INCLUDE'>

loaded in the DOCTYPE, and psgml happily parses the DTD. According to
the Green Book, <FORENAME> can only occur within <PERSNAME> can only
occur within <PERSON> or MPERSONGRP> etc etc...all of which seems rather
redundant when I merely with to tag a forename for later use.

What have I done wrong? {Is|are} there more declarations I need to
include?

///Peter

Re: Problems using P3 with Emacs/psgml

David Megginson

 > According to the Green Book, <FORENAME> can only occur within
 > <PERSNAME> can only occur within <PERSON> or MPERSONGRP> etc
 > etc...all of which seems rather redundant when I merely with to tag
 > a forename for later use.

 > What have I done wrong? {Is|are} there more declarations I need to
 > include?

Nothing wrong, but you are probably overdoing it.  For simply tagging
a name in the text for later use, use the common <name> element.  If
you want to be explicit, try <name type=forename>David</name>.  As I
recall (and I'm too lazy to look at the standard right now),
<forename> is part of hierarchy for _analysing_ the structure of a
name, not simply for indicating its existence.

David

---
David Megginson                Department of English, University of Ottawa,
[hidden email]       Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1N 6N5
[hidden email]    Phone: (613) 564-6850 (Office)
[hidden email]             (613) 564-9175 (FAX)

Re: Problems using P3 with Emacs/psgml

Peter Flynn
[forename]
> Nothing wrong, but you are probably overdoing it.  For simply tagging
> a name in the text for later use, use the common <name> element.  If
> you want to be explicit, try <name type=forename>David</name>.  As I
> recall (and I'm too lazy to look at the standard right now),
> <forename> is part of hierarchy for _analysing_ the structure of a
> name, not simply for indicating its existence.

Sorry, I was less than explicit...I _do_ want to use <forename> for
analysis, and there are hundreds of occurrences in this instance.

///Peter