Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

12

Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Dot Porter-2
Hi everyone,

I'm experimenting with using tei:taxonomy to create a set of taxonomies both project-specific (invented by me) and pulling from external sources (e.g., Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus). I'm stymied because there doesn't seem to be a native way to point from terms (tei:category) to a uri defining an eternally defined term. So I'm doing this:

  <taxonomy xml:id="c" xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">

<bibl>Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus</bibl>

<category>

<catDesc>Physical descriptors</catDesc>

<category xml:id="c.300011851">

<catDesc>Parchment</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="c.300014179">

<catDesc>Paper</catDesc>

</category>

</category>

<category>

<catDesc>Scripts</catDesc>

<category xml:id="c.300210143">

<catDesc>Insular majuscule</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="c.300210146">

<catDesc>Insular minuscule</catDesc>

</category>

</category>

</taxonomy>

Where the long number in the tei:category/xml:id is the ID number of the term within the AAT, and I can use that to construct a URI during processing. But I'd rather have a pointer for the URI (really a URL to the definition on the AAT website) directly in the encoding.

Is this possible, and I've just overlooked it? Or is there another way to do this in TEI that's not tei:taxonomy? Is this a potential feature request?

Thanks,

Dot

--
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
MESA on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MedievalElectronicScholarlyAlliance
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Martin Holmes
Hi Dot,

You could use @ana on <category> to point to the definition. But I agree
it's a bit weird.

It really needs @ref or perhaps @source, I think; I would use that
myself. We use taxonomies based on Marc Relators in a way similar to
what you're doing.

On 15-11-06 12:47 PM, Dot Porter wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm experimenting with using tei:taxonomy to create a set of taxonomies
> both project-specific (invented by me) and pulling from external sources
> (e.g., Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus). I'm stymied because there
> doesn't seem to be a native way to point from terms (tei:category) to a
> uri defining an eternally defined term. So I'm doing this:
>
> <taxonomyxml:id="c"xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
> <bibl>Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus</bibl>
> <category>
> <catDesc>Physical descriptors</catDesc>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300011851">
> <catDesc>Parchment</catDesc>
> </category>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300014179">
> <catDesc>Paper</catDesc>
> </category>
> </category>
> <category>
> <catDesc>Scripts</catDesc>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300210143">
> <catDesc>Insular majuscule</catDesc>
> </category>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300210146">
> <catDesc>Insular minuscule</catDesc>
> </category>
> </category>
> </taxonomy>
>
> Where the long number in the tei:category/xml:id is the ID number of the
> term within the AAT, and I can use that to construct a URI during
> processing. But I'd rather have a pointer for the URI (really a URL to
> the definition on the AAT website) directly in the encoding.
>
> Is this possible, and I've just overlooked it? Or is there another way
> to do this in TEI that's not tei:taxonomy? Is this a potential feature
> request?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dot
>

> --
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
> Digital Medievalist, Digital Librarian
> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Personal blog: dotporterdigital.org <http://dotporterdigital.org>
> Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance: http://www.mesa-medieval.org
> MESA blog: http://mesamedieval.wordpress.com/
> MESA on Facebook:
> https://www.facebook.com/MedievalElectronicScholarlyAlliance
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Piotr Bański
Hi Dot,

I recall doing something like this when I needed external references
from taxonomies:

<category xml:id="lic_GFDLv1.3">
    <catDesc><ref target="http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-1.3.html">GNU
Free Documentation License, version 1.3</ref></catDesc>
</category>

Not a beauty, but it did the job.
Nowadays, the datcat attributes would probably love to hop in there, for
this very purpose.

http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-att.datcat.html

ISOCat seems a bit too prominent in their description, now that I think
of it, but back when they were introduced, their primary purpose was
language-resource-oriented. They should probably become general-purpose
reference mechanisms to external taxonomies, etc. (preferably with
persistent identifiers).

Best,

   Piotr

On 06/11/15 21:47, Dot Porter wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm experimenting with using tei:taxonomy to create a set of taxonomies
> both project-specific (invented by me) and pulling from external sources
> (e.g., Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus). I'm stymied because there
> doesn't seem to be a native way to point from terms (tei:category) to a
> uri defining an eternally defined term. So I'm doing this:
>
> <taxonomyxml:id="c"xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
> <bibl>Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus</bibl>
> <category>
> <catDesc>Physical descriptors</catDesc>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300011851">
> <catDesc>Parchment</catDesc>
> </category>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300014179">
> <catDesc>Paper</catDesc>
> </category>
> </category>
> <category>
> <catDesc>Scripts</catDesc>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300210143">
> <catDesc>Insular majuscule</catDesc>
> </category>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300210146">
> <catDesc>Insular minuscule</catDesc>
> </category>
> </category>
> </taxonomy>
>
> Where the long number in the tei:category/xml:id is the ID number of the
> term within the AAT, and I can use that to construct a URI during
> processing. But I'd rather have a pointer for the URI (really a URL to
> the definition on the AAT website) directly in the encoding.
>
> Is this possible, and I've just overlooked it? Or is there another way
> to do this in TEI that's not tei:taxonomy? Is this a potential feature
> request?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dot
>

> --
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
> Digital Medievalist, Digital Librarian
> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Personal blog: dotporterdigital.org <http://dotporterdigital.org>
> Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance: http://www.mesa-medieval.org
> MESA blog: http://mesamedieval.wordpress.com/
> MESA on Facebook:
> https://www.facebook.com/MedievalElectronicScholarlyAlliance
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Kevin Hawkins-4
I'm a bit confused.  If I understand correctly:

a) You want to use both some local, project-specific taxonomies and some
standard, externally defined taxonomies.

b) You want to define both using <tei:taxonomy>.

c) Your example shows the definition for just a single externally
defined taxonomy (the Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus).

d) Your example shows just those terms from Getty that you've used in
this document.

Assuming this is all correct, then I have the following comment.

I read P5 section 2.3.7 to say that you should only use <category>
elements if a classification scheme that is not well-recognized,
documented, and public.  So, for the case of Getty, I would have simply
done this:

<taxonomy xml:id="Getty">
  <bibl>
    <title>Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus</title>
    <edition>[whatever version number you're using]</edition>
  </bibl>
</taxonomy>

and then inside profileDesc/textClass, you'd include the terms from
Getty that relate to your document:

<keywords scheme="#Getty">
   <term ref="[URL for this term on the Getty website]">Parchment</term>
   <term ref="[URL for this term on the Getty website]">Paper</term>
   <term ref="[URL for this term on the Getty website]">Insular
majuscule</term>
   <term ref="[URL for this term on the Getty website]">Insular
minuscule</term>
</keywords>

In short, it's important to remember that the TEI header separates the
declaration of classification schemes (in <classDecl>) and the
application of these schemes to a particular document (in profileDesc).

Kevin

On 11/6/15 2:47 PM, Dot Porter wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm experimenting with using tei:taxonomy to create a set of taxonomies
> both project-specific (invented by me) and pulling from external sources
> (e.g., Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus). I'm stymied because there
> doesn't seem to be a native way to point from terms (tei:category) to a
> uri defining an eternally defined term. So I'm doing this:
>
> <taxonomyxml:id="c"xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
> <bibl>Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus</bibl>
> <category>
> <catDesc>Physical descriptors</catDesc>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300011851">
> <catDesc>Parchment</catDesc>
> </category>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300014179">
> <catDesc>Paper</catDesc>
> </category>
> </category>
> <category>
> <catDesc>Scripts</catDesc>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300210143">
> <catDesc>Insular majuscule</catDesc>
> </category>
> <categoryxml:id="c.300210146">
> <catDesc>Insular minuscule</catDesc>
> </category>
> </category>
> </taxonomy>
>
> Where the long number in the tei:category/xml:id is the ID number of the
> term within the AAT, and I can use that to construct a URI during
> processing. But I'd rather have a pointer for the URI (really a URL to
> the definition on the AAT website) directly in the encoding.
>
> Is this possible, and I've just overlooked it? Or is there another way
> to do this in TEI that's not tei:taxonomy? Is this a potential feature
> request?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dot
>

> --
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
> Digital Medievalist, Digital Librarian
> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Personal blog: dotporterdigital.org <http://dotporterdigital.org>
> Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance: http://www.mesa-medieval.org
> MESA blog: http://mesamedieval.wordpress.com/
> MESA on Facebook:
> https://www.facebook.com/MedievalElectronicScholarlyAlliance
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Dot Porter-2
Thanks for answering my query, Kevin, but what I want to do isn't actually that simple. The context is a model I'm working up for physical collation, where I want to apply terms to specific leaves, not to an entire document. Here's a longer example, showing three taxonomies - one my project taxonomy (Canterbury Tale texts and booklet markers), one from AAT (physical descriptors) and one a book by Michelle Brown:

  <taxonomy xml:id="b" xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">

<bibl>Our project typology</bibl>

<category xml:id="b.a">

<catDesc>Textual</catDesc>

<category xml:id="b.a1">

<catDesc>General Prologue</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="b.a2">

<catDesc>Miller's Tale</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="b.a3">

<catDesc>Knight's Tale</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="b.a4">

<catDesc>Reeve's Tale</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="b.a5">

<catDesc>Cook's Tale</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="b.a6">

<catDesc>Wife of Bath's Tale</catDesc>

</category>

</category>

<category xml:id="b.d">

<catDesc>Booklets</catDesc>

<category xml:id="b.d1">

<catDesc>Booklet 1</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="b.d2">

<catDesc>Booklet 2</catDesc>

</category>

</category>

</taxonomy>

<!-- I want to point to the main AAT and to the individual definitions -->

<taxonomy xml:id="c" xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">

<bibl>Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus</bibl>

<category xml:id="c.300011851">

<catDesc>Parchment</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="c.300014179">

<catDesc>Paper</catDesc>

</category>

</taxonomy>

<taxonomy xml:id="d" xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">

<bibl>Michelle P. Brown, Understanding Illuminated Manuscripts: A Guide to Technical Terms (J.
      Paul Getty Museum: Malibu and British Library: London, 1994), online on the British Library
      website
</bibl>

<category xml:id="https://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/GlossH.asp#hairside">

<catDesc>Hair side</catDesc>

</category>

<category xml:id="https://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/GlossF.asp#fleshside">

<catDesc>Flesh side</catDesc>

</category>

</taxonomy>

In a separate section of the document I'm listing all the leaves by quire, and I want to link those leaves to the terms that define them in yet another mapping section, which will probably look something like this (note that these @refs don't correspond to the list above, because I'm still messing around at this point - but this is how I'd like it to work):

 <mapping xmlns="http://schoenberginstitute.org/schema/mapping">

<map leaf="1.2" side="r">

<typology ref="#tl1">

<type ref="#tl1-1"/>

</typology>

<typology ref="#tl2">

<type ref="#tl2-1"/>

</typology>

</map>

<map leaf="1.2" side="v">

<typology ref="#tl1">

<type ref="#tl1-1"/>

<type ref="#tl1-2"/>

</typology>

</map>

</mapping>

I hadn't considered using tei:keyword at all, because as you note that section is set up to apply keywords to an entire document, which isn't what I'm doing.

I'm probably going to have to go outside of the TEI for this, if it's really not what tei:taxonomy was built for, but I wanted to see if I could make it work first.

Thanks,

Dot

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Kevin Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

  <term ref="[URL for this term on the Getty website]">Insular minuscule</term>

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Piotr Bański
Hi Dot,

(Incidentally,) don't your parsers/validators complain about faulty ID
values? (Some of your xml:id are URI strings.)

Best regards,

   Piotr

On 16/11/15 16:40, Dot Porter wrote:

> [...]
>         <http://dotporterdigital.org> <http://dotporterdigital.org>
>         Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance: http://www.mesa-medieval.org
>         MESA blog: http://mesamedieval.wordpress.com/
>         MESA on Facebook:
>         https://www.facebook.com/MedievalElectronicScholarlyAlliance
>         *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>

> --
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
> Digital Medievalist, Digital Librarian
> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Personal blog: dotporterdigital.org <http://dotporterdigital.org>
> Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance: http://www.mesa-medieval.org
> MESA blog: http://mesamedieval.wordpress.com/
> MESA on Facebook:
> https://www.facebook.com/MedievalElectronicScholarlyAlliance
> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Sebastian Rahtz-3
Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>>        <http://dotporterdigital.org> <http://dotporterdigital.org>
>>        Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance: http://www.mesa-medieval.org
>>        MESA blog: http://mesamedieval.wordpress.com/
>>        MESA on Facebook:
>>        https://www.facebook.com/MedievalElectronicScholarlyAlliance
>>        *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>>

>> --
>> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>> Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
>> Digital Medievalist, Digital Librarian
>> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Personal blog: dotporterdigital.org <http://dotporterdigital.org>
>> Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance: http://www.mesa-medieval.org
>> MESA blog: http://mesamedieval.wordpress.com/
>> MESA on Facebook:
>> https://www.facebook.com/MedievalElectronicScholarlyAlliance
>> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Ah, I see now.  I forgot to list my fifth assumption (that you wanted to
describe the whole TEI document, not a portion of it).

The problem you face reminds me quite a bit of the struggles of those
digitizing journals in TEI.  They have to figure out whether the TEI
document corresponds to an individual journal article, an issue, a
volume, or the whole run of the journal.  If they choose anything above
the level of the article, they're going to need to apply metadata of
various sorts to a portion of the TEI document.  I've been meaning to
write up a summary of the approaches to this problem that people have
suggested in the past on this list, but till I get to that, you might
look through the archives and see if any of those approaches feel
appropriate for your situation.

Kevin

On 11/16/15 9:40 AM, Dot Porter wrote:
> Thanks for answering my query, Kevin, but what I want to do isn't
> actually that simple. The context is a model I'm working up for physical
> collation, where I want to apply terms to specific leaves, not to an
> entire document.

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Lou Burnard-6
This is what @decls is for, right?

On 16/11/15 18:58, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> Ah, I see now.  I forgot to list my fifth assumption (that you wanted
> to describe the whole TEI document, not a portion of it).
>
> The problem you face reminds me quite a bit of the struggles of those
> digitizing journals in TEI.  They have to figure out whether the TEI
> document corresponds to an individual journal article, an issue, a
> volume, or the whole run of the journal.  If they choose anything
> above the level of the article, they're going to need to apply
> metadata of various sorts to a portion of the TEI document. I've been
> meaning to write up a summary of the approaches to this problem that
> people have suggested in the past on this list, but till I get to
> that, you might look through the archives and see if any of those
> approaches feel appropriate for your situation.
>
> Kevin
>
> On 11/16/15 9:40 AM, Dot Porter wrote:
>> Thanks for answering my query, Kevin, but what I want to do isn't
>> actually that simple. The context is a model I'm working up for physical
>> collation, where I want to apply terms to specific leaves, not to an
>> entire document.

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Kevin Hawkins-4
Perhaps.  I've just come across my notes where I had noted some of the
past discussions:

https://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=TEI-L;7aafda22.1209

https://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=TEI-L;119ec446.1408

On 11/16/15 2:34 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:

> This is what @decls is for, right?
>

> On 16/11/15 18:58, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>> Ah, I see now.  I forgot to list my fifth assumption (that you wanted
>> to describe the whole TEI document, not a portion of it).
>>
>> The problem you face reminds me quite a bit of the struggles of those
>> digitizing journals in TEI.  They have to figure out whether the TEI
>> document corresponds to an individual journal article, an issue, a
>> volume, or the whole run of the journal.  If they choose anything
>> above the level of the article, they're going to need to apply
>> metadata of various sorts to a portion of the TEI document. I've been
>> meaning to write up a summary of the approaches to this problem that
>> people have suggested in the past on this list, but till I get to
>> that, you might look through the archives and see if any of those
>> approaches feel appropriate for your situation.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On 11/16/15 9:40 AM, Dot Porter wrote:
>>> Thanks for answering my query, Kevin, but what I want to do isn't
>>> actually that simple. The context is a model I'm working up for physical
>>> collation, where I want to apply terms to specific leaves, not to an
>>> entire document.

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Dot Porter-2
Hi Piotr,

Um, actually no because I'm not validating against the schema yet. But I suppose when I do Oxygen will scream at me  :-)

Dot

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Conal Tuohy-3
I would probably use tei:category/@corresp rather than @ana, I think, since the relationship between the TEI-encoded concept and the external concept is one of conceptual equivalence rather than that the external concept is an analysis of the TEI-encoded concept.

e.g.

<category xml:id="parchment" corresp="http://vocab.getty.edu/aat/300011851">
   <catDesc>Parchment</catDesc>
</category>

Assuming the terms in the TEI-encoded vocabulary were exact matches for the externally defined terms, if you wanted more explicitness you could even leave off the @corresp and align the two vocabularies in a stand-off manner, with a <linkGroup> and <link>, so as to be able to assign a link type.

e.g.

<linkGrp xmlns:skos=" http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#" type="skos:exactMatch">
   <link target="#parchment http://vocab.getty.edu/aat/300011851"/>
   <!-- etc -->
</linkGrp>

On 7 November 2015 at 07:23, Martin Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

@conal_tuohy
+61-466-324297

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

James Cummings-4
To quote myself on this list from 2014-05-28:
"Isn't this a situation where use of private URI schemes (and
their documentation in the header using
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-listPrefixDef.html)
might be beneficially employed?"

i.e. instead of having something in the text point using an @ana
attribute to a taxonomy/category which then points to somewhere
else, why not point there directly?

Instead of saying <material ana="#parchment"> and pointing to the
category below which via ana or corresp points to
http://vocab.getty.edu/aat/300011851 why not simply do <material
ana="aat:300011851"> where the aat private URI is documented with
a listPrefixDef in the header.  Now, I know what your answer will
be: We want human-readable and encodable private URI values, no
encoder can type in 300011851 and know what it means. (Well, I
think you underestimate encoders there, but oh well.)  So maybe
the intermediate step is necessary in this case, but if the
external taxonomy you are pointing to has human readable keys
then it wouldn't be necessary.  Was just mentioning it really
because people overlook listPrefixDef and use of private URIs.

-James

Dr James Cummings, Academic IT Services, University of Oxford TEI
Consultations: [hidden email]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Piotr Bański
On 17/11/15 13:29, James Cummings wrote:
[...]
>   Now, I know what your answer will be: We
> want human-readable and encodable private URI values, no encoder can
> type in 300011851 and know what it means.

Unless you use smart content completion. I wonder... That would require
a layer of configurable redirection inside a smart editor, right? To
provide a list of values (potential fillers) with their descriptions
taken from designated elements.

   P.

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Hi Dot,

Another approach, if categorising through an interface, would be
to use full URLs when it is an external taxonomy and local ones
when it isn't. But I actually kinda like the intermediate (though
separate from file) project-specific taxonomy that was suggested.
(But since people sometimes overlook the ability to document
private URIs in the TEI I thought I'd mention them. They could
point internally or externally of course.)

Best wishes,
James

Dr James Cummings, [hidden email] Academic IT

On 17/11/15 15:57, Piotr Bański wrote:

> On 17/11/15 13:29, James Cummings wrote:
> [...]
>>   Now, I know what your answer will be: We
>> want human-readable and encodable private URI values, no
>> encoder can
>> type in 300011851 and know what it means.
>
> Unless you use smart content completion. I wonder... That would
> require a layer of configurable redirection inside a smart
> editor, right? To provide a list of values (potential fillers)
> with their descriptions taken from designated elements.

I believe this could already be done in oXygen Author Mode --
perhaps it could also be done in the Text/XML mode as well with a
plugin, I'm not sure.

-James

Dr James Cummings, Academic IT Services, University of Oxford TEI
Consultations: [hidden email]

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

Piotr Bański
I get that with @ref completion but was wondering whether it would work
via @ident and know where to point (well, it might start with the string
value of the targeted element, for one thing, but knowing the oXygen
guys it could be way smarter... I think I want to check this out... :-) ).

So long,

   P.

On 17/11/15 17:14, James Cummings wrote:

> On 17/11/15 15:57, Piotr Bański wrote:
>> On 17/11/15 13:29, James Cummings wrote:
>> [...]
>>>   Now, I know what your answer will be: We
>>> want human-readable and encodable private URI values, no encoder can
>>> type in 300011851 and know what it means.
>>
>> Unless you use smart content completion. I wonder... That would
>> require a layer of configurable redirection inside a smart editor,
>> right? To provide a list of values (potential fillers) with their
>> descriptions taken from designated elements.
>
> I believe this could already be done in oXygen Author Mode -- perhaps it
> could also be done in the Text/XML mode as well with a plugin, I'm not
> sure.
>
> -James

Re: Providing links to external taxonomies in tei:taxonomy

I usually have a schema-building process which sucks our taxonomies into
the ODD file to create valLists for attributes such as @corresp on
<category>, so that when the encoder comes to enter a value, the valList
with complete descriptions is available right in the Oxygen interface.

On 15-11-17 08:14 AM, James Cummings wrote:

> On 17/11/15 15:57, Piotr Bański wrote:
>> On 17/11/15 13:29, James Cummings wrote:
>> [...]
>>>   Now, I know what your answer will be: We
>>> want human-readable and encodable private URI values, no encoder can
>>> type in 300011851 and know what it means.
>>
>> Unless you use smart content completion. I wonder... That would
>> require a layer of configurable redirection inside a smart editor,
>> right? To provide a list of values (potential fillers) with their
>> descriptions taken from designated elements.
>
> I believe this could already be done in oXygen Author Mode -- perhaps it
> could also be done in the Text/XML mode as well with a plugin, I'm not
> sure.
>
> -James

12