Question: <head> and page numbers...

Ingo Kieslich
Dear TEI list,

may I ask for your opinion on a small matter:

We are transcribing typescripts that have been edited by hand. Our TEI
documents are transformed to provide output for diplomatic
representations of the source texts.

The question I have is about headings in <head> and page numbers. Right
now our TEI looks like this:

   <pb xml:id="KMG2Pref1" n="01"/>
     [...]
     [...]

As you can see, in addition to <pb/> page numbers are also encoded in
<ab>. The reason is that sometimes we encounter page numbers that have
been edited by the author. Sometimes up to four times. This we want to
record, and it does not seem possible to do this solely in the
attributes of <pb/>. Headings right now are therefore also encoded with
<ab>.

I would like to put headings in proper <head> elements. However <head>
cannot stand behind <ab>. At the moment I only see two solutions:

1) Can I put the information for page numbers into a <head> element,
too? In that case I would treat <head> more generally as an element for
some text at the top of a <div> and outside of the main body of text.
Then I would be able to add headings in additional <head> elements.

2) I stick to my solution with <ab> elements and don't use <head>.

Thanks in advance for your opinions on this: that would really help me
in deciding on how to proceed.

All the best,

Ingo Kieslich.

Re: Question: <head> and page numbers...

Tomaž Erjavec
Dear Ingo,
why not use <fw> for your page numbers (which is meant exactly for
running heads, including page numbes), and then you can use <head>.
Also, I think corresp="KMG2Pref1" should really be corresp="#KMG2Pref1"
Best,
Tomaž

Ingo Kieslich je 21/05/2018 ob 14:07 napisal:

> Dear TEI list,
>
> may I ask for your opinion on a small matter:
>
> We are transcribing typescripts that have been edited by hand. Our TEI
> documents are transformed to provide output for diplomatic
> representations of the source texts.
>
> The question I have is about headings in <head> and page numbers.
> Right now our TEI looks like this:

>   <pb xml:id="KMG2Pref1" n="01"/>
>   <ab type="pagenumber"><space dim="horizontal" extent="62"
> unit="chars"/>- <anchor type="pagenumber" corresp="KMG2Pref1"/>-</ab>
>     [...]
>     [...]
>
> As you can see, in addition to <pb/> page numbers are also encoded in
> <ab>. The reason is that sometimes we encounter page numbers that have
> been edited by the author. Sometimes up to four times. This we want to
> record, and it does not seem possible to do this solely in the
> attributes of <pb/>. Headings right now are therefore also encoded
> with <ab>.
>
> I would like to put headings in proper <head> elements. However <head>
> cannot stand behind <ab>. At the moment I only see two solutions:
>
> 1) Can I put the information for page numbers into a <head> element,
> too? In that case I would treat <head> more generally as an element
> for some text at the top of a <div> and outside of the main body of
> text. Then I would be able to add headings in additional <head> elements.
>
> 2) I stick to my solution with <ab> elements and don't use <head>.
>

> Thanks in advance for your opinions on this: that would really help me
> in deciding on how to proceed.
>

> All the best,
>
> Ingo Kieslich.

Re: Question: <head> and page numbers...

Syd Bauman-10
Didn't read the previous thread, so please forgive me if I'm hitting
things already covered.

 1) The page begin should typically be recorded outside the <div>
    that indicates the preface, not inside.

 2) The page number (as written on the page) should be recorded in
    <fw>, not <ab>.

 3) The @corresp attribute is a pointer, not matcher. So in this case
    it should start with a sharp: "#KMG2Pref1".

Thus something like

| <pb xml:id="KMG2Pref1" n="01"/>
| <fw type="pageNumber" style="text-align:center;">- 1 -</fw>
|   <!-- ... -->

might do you well. Here the pb/@n gives you the page number as
counted, and the content of <fw> gives you the page number as it
appeared on the page. The use of fw/@style allows you to say that the
content was centered in the original, but there is absolutely nothing
wrong with your use of <space> to indicate how much horizontal space
precedes the page-number-as-written; I was just taking this
opportunity to show an alternative approach.

Same with my use of head/@style to show that "Preface" was in all
uppercase characters in the original: absolutely nothing wrong with
just recording it as "PREFACE". The mild advantage of the encoding
above is that I get to print it in title case ("print me the content
of <head>") or in all uppercase ("print me the content of head, but
apply the @style, too").