Question on unclear and multiple supplied text

Question on unclear and multiple supplied text

Robert Foley-2
Hello,
I have a question regarding section 11.3.3.1 Damage, Illegibility, and Supplied Text in the TEI guidelines.

My project is currently using unclear and supplied to indicate when a transcriber is unsure of some text and provides their best guess. See our current markup below:

<unclear reason="illegible" unit="words" quantity="1">
<supplied resp="#RF">Hides</supplied>
</unclear>

We now have other editors coming in and reviewing the unclear text and making suggestions to what the supplied element should contain; however, we do not wish to lose the original transcribers suggestion.

What would be the best way to include all of the suggestions for a single unclear word/phrase? And how could we best indicate the transcriber's suggestion was the first suggestion?

I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Robert

Re: Question on unclear and multiple supplied text

Elisa Beshero-Bondar-2
Hi Robert,

You may also want to set an @cert attribute if you want to rank the comparative certainty or reliability of the readings you're being supplied.

Hope that helps!
Elisa
--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
Director, Center for the Digital Text

Typeset by hand on my iPad

On Aug 27, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Robert Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,
I have a question regarding section 11.3.3.1 Damage, Illegibility, and Supplied Text in the TEI guidelines.

My project is currently using unclear and supplied to indicate when a transcriber is unsure of some text and provides their best guess. See our current markup below:

<unclear reason="illegible" unit="words" quantity="1">
<supplied resp="#RF">Hides</supplied>
</unclear>

We now have other editors coming in and reviewing the unclear text and making suggestions to what the supplied element should contain; however, we do not wish to lose the original transcribers suggestion.

What would be the best way to include all of the suggestions for a single unclear word/phrase? And how could we best indicate the transcriber's suggestion was the first suggestion?

I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Robert

Re: Question on unclear and multiple supplied text

Hugh Cayless-2
Hi Robert,

I'd second Elisa's suggestion of <choice>. I'm not 100% sure about your use of unclear/supplied in your example. In my mind at least, these two do different things. Unclear means precisely "This sequence of text is hard to read, but here's what I think it says", while supplied means "There is or was a sequence of text here, which is gone/illegible, but here's what I think it said." So I don't think I'd use them together in quite this way.

All the best,
Hugh