Quick question

Mandell, Laura C. Dr.
Quick question Can someone tell me where in a document <interpGrp> can be placed?  It makes most sense if it is to go in the header, especially inside encodingDesc/editorialDecl/interpretation, but it doesn’t seem to be allowed there.  Thanks in advance, and feel free to reply off-list.

Laura Mandell

Re: Quick question

Laurent Romary-2
Hi Laura,
By transitivity of model classes (model.global.meta, model.global), <interpGrp> can appear at many different places (see http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-model.global.html) and it is a matter of editorial organisation to place these for instance in close conjunction to the objects being annotated or gathered up in the back matter. As a matter of fact, one should have a precise scenario in mind to consider interpGroup's not as content (within <text>) but as documentation to the content in the header. As a matter of fact <interpetation> describes the "scope" of interpretative information and not the information itself. But, if you really want to put it there, the trick is to have a <p> in <interpGroup> I guess.
Laurent

Le 27 janv. 10 à 05:39, Mandell, Laura C. Dr. a écrit :

Can someone tell me where in a document <interpGrp> can be placed?  It makes most sense if it is to go in the header, especially inside encodingDesc/editorialDecl/interpretation, but it doesn’t seem to be allowed there.  Thanks in advance, and feel free to reply off-list.

Laura Mandell

Re: Quick question

Lou Burnard
encdingDesc/editorialDecl/interpretation is indeed the place where you
would describe informally the interpretation scheme you applied to your
text. "informally" here implies the use of <p> to structure it (in prose
please, Espen!)

<interpGrp> and its children <interp> elements allow you to enumerate in
a more formal way the specific interpretive codes used in your markup.
When originally designed, the view was that you might want to locate
this enumeration itself anywhere, not necessarily at this specific place
in the header, and so (as Laurent notes) it is globally available in the
text, and within <p> in the header.

However, I can see the sense of specifically permitting it within the
<interpretation> element as well, It might be argued tho that permitting
both is not such a clever idea though.

Mandell, Laura C. Dr. wrote:

> --_000_C7852DA6E5A9mandellcmuohioedu_
>
> Can someone tell me where in a document <interpGrp> can be placed?  It make=
> s most sense if it is to go in the header, especially inside encodingDesc/e=
> ditorialDecl/interpretation, but it doesn't seem to be allowed there.  Than=
> ks in advance, and feel free to reply off-list.
>
> Laura Mandell
>
> --_000_C7852DA6E5A9mandellcmuohioedu_
>
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <TITLE>Quick question</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:=
> 11pt'>Can someone tell me where in a document &lt;interpGrp&gt; can be plac=
> ed? &nbsp;It makes most sense if it is to go in the header, especially insi=
> de encodingDesc/editorialDecl/interpretation, but it doesn&#8217;t seem to =
> be allowed there. &nbsp;Thanks in advance, and feel free to reply off-list.=
> <BR>
> <BR>
> Laura Mandell</SPAN></FONT>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
>

> --_000_C7852DA6E5A9mandellcmuohioedu_--

Re: Quick question

Syd Bauman
> However, I can see the sense of specifically permitting it within
> the <interpretation> element as well,

Yes, having a spot in the header for <interpGrp> (or <spanGrp>) is
a very good idea. At first blush <interpretation> seems like an OK
place, but it's not really spot-on. It's for a discussion about the
analytic information and its encoding, not really for the analytic
information itself.

> It might be argued tho that permitting both is not such a clever
> idea though.

It might be so argued, but if <interpGrp> is permitted in
<interpretation>, I would argue pretty strongly in favor of
permitting both informal prose and the formal <interpGrp>. First,
the prose might well be about the issues surrounding the analytic
information ("how was it generated? How was it encoded?" is it
contentious?). Second, There are lots of times one wants to say
things in a formal way as far as possible, but has nuances to add
that don't fit well in a formal structure.