R.I.P Sebastian Rahtz, 13 February 1955 - 15 March 2016

R.I.P Sebastian Rahtz, 13 February 1955 - 15 March 2016

James Cummings-4
Some of you have already heard, but it is with great sadness that
I tell you that our friend and colleague Sebastian Rahtz passed
away on the 15 March 2016. He discovered last autumn that he had
late-stage brain cancer and shortly thereafter retired to spend
his remaining time with his family. Our thoughts are with his
wife Leonor, two daughters, and other family.  There will be a
ceremony for Sebastian on the 24th March at 13:45 at the Oxford
Crematorium, Bayswater Rd, Oxford OX3 9RZ.  It will be mostly for
family but anyone is welcome.They would like to invite anyone
else for a memorial on the 24th March at 15:00pm at the Friends
Meeting House, 42 St Giles, Oxford OX1 3LW. They invite you to
share this with anyone who may be interested.

Donations in Sebastian’s memory may be made to Sobell House
Hospice (http://www.sobellhouse.org/) or Macmillan Cancer Care
(http://www.macmillan.org.uk/), or care of The Individual Funeral
Company, 86 Rose Hill, Oxford, OX4 4HX.

I have set up a book of condolences at
http://goo.gl/forms/BjJRBOQho3 and a google photos shared album
at https://goo.gl/photos/gK8gsXZ3tVoTuG5w9 (which you can join
and add your own photos). These will be provided to his family at
a later date.

-James

Dr James Cummings, [hidden email]

Re: R.I.P Sebastian Rahtz, 13 February 1955 - 15 March 2016

Charles Muller-5
On 3/23/2016 5:27 PM, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:

> I have started https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Sebastian_Rahtz Feel
> free to correct any mistakes or expand anythign you have good sources for.

I don't know enough of the precise details to write myself, but I hope
that someone can duly elaborate on Sebastian's role in developing and
maintaining the XSLT style sheets for the TEI, which, if I understand
correctly, are the same ones built into the <oXygen/> TEI framework.

Regards,

Chuck

--

---------------------------
A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

Office Phone: 03-5841-3735

http://www.acmuller.net

Twitter: @H_Buddhism

On Thursday, 24 March 2016, Charles Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/23/2016 5:27 PM, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:

I have started https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Sebastian_Rahtz Feel
free to correct any mistakes or expand anythign you have good sources for.

I don't know enough of the precise details to write myself, but I hope that someone can duly elaborate on Sebastian's role in developing and maintaining the XSLT style sheets for the TEI, which, if I understand correctly, are the same ones built into the <oXygen/> TEI framework

It's worth noting that since wikipedia is a tertiary source, what is needed is not people who 'know enough' but people with access to sources (and implicitly, for those sources to exist).

I've written hundreds of biographies of academics for wikipedia and I can't stress enough the importance of professional obituaries for well-rounded biographies; second only to award citations they're the most useful source of information. I'd encourage people to consider writing obituaries for their colleagues, particularly if you can link divergent worlds the subject may have navigated in life.

cheers
stuart