Racine and automatic IPA transcription

David Megginson-5
I am not familiar with the intricacies of French pronunciation in
Racine's age, but I would be surprised if it were possible to
transcribe Racine's written work into IPA automatically, even if the
tools did exist. I know that (at least according to Koekeritz),
the pronunciation of Shakespeare's words depends very much on the
context, especially in the case of homonymic puns. TEI guidelines
can help here -- perhaps you could mark any rustic, dialectal or
foreign-accent passages (if there are any in Racine), so that an
automatic transcription program could give them special treatment. In
the end, however (and this conclusion applies to syntactic markup as
well), TEI markup will probably continue to show the results of
HUMAN analysis (this is a scene, this is an act, this is a clause, etc.)
to help the COMPUTER with its work.

David Megginson

Re: Racine and automatic IPA transcription

Buford Norman
Thanks for your note.  I would be happy with an IPA transcription into
MODERN French.  Anything wuld help.