Re: IPA

C O/ DUIBHI/N
I'm interested in computer representation of IPA, but I am not sure how
immediately useful the work of the Workgroup will be. (I have JIPA 20:1
beside me, but can't get 19:2 at present.)

It looks to me as if the workgroup is producing an exhaustive list of
symbols, in some kind of principled order, and assigning names and numbers
to them. This is a big step forward, but I can't see any obvious and direct
way to apply it on a computer: the numbering goes from 100 to 999, and gaps
are left for future additions. What you need for a computer (at present) is
a set of at most 256 symbols, numbered 0..255. Maybe the workgroup intends
to produce one or more such sets as subsets of the whole repertoire, and
get them ratified by ISO?

Kieran Devine.
(apologies for straying so far from the purpose of TEI-L!)

Re: IPA

Harry Gaylord
The working group on character codes and IPA members are working on setting
up a character set for IPA and will distribute information on it as it
becomes available.
  You can see the work which the IPA workgroup on Computer Coding of IPA
has already produced in Journal of the International Phonetic Assoc.
19:2 (1989) and 20:1 (1990).
Harry