Re: TEI Publisher 3.0 and EarlyPrint

Martin Mueller
Dear Colleague,

May I take Wolfgang’s announcement of TEI Publisher  3.0 as an occasion to report on our progress with EarlyPrint since I first wrote about it to you in October. Since then we have moved into a multi-genre environment (https://texts.earlyprint.org), made possible by Craig Berry and Phil Burns who have added navigation features that lets users search and sort an archive of some 6,000 texts. The goal is to add all the current Phase I texts over the next few months and all Phase II texts once they move into the public domain

From a TEI perspective this is a project that adds linguistic annotation to P5 versions of TCP texts and puts them in an application that supports the collaborative curation of the most common textual defects in those texts.  The application is a version of TEI Publisher with the addition of an Annotation Module that was built by the eXist team and funded by the Mellon foundation.

The linguistic annotation is provided by Phil Burns’ MorphAdorner. We have used the attribute set for lightweight linguistic annotation that Piotr Banski, Susanne Haaf, and I have proposed to the TEI Council. I am an interested party in this but will say anyhow and with a lot of conviction that the combination of @pos, @lemma, @reg,  and @join attributes significantly simplifies many processing tasks.

This remains an early release, and lots of work remains to be done. We’ll be grateful for advice and criticism.

Martin Mueller

On 12/19/17, 9:16 AM, "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list on behalf of Wolfgang Meier" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Dear TEI community,

    we’re happy to announce the release of version 3.0 of TEI Publisher (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__teipublisher.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=Mj34QWudHJnYEHQeVT25ZGmrqZCQy3YqitlOIVo6jao&s=fdgFxk7oSodA7sjoT8W0-wiT3V2iYiwW7y9DuYtQc7U&e=), our open source implementation of the TEI Processing Model. Highlights of this release are:

    * a visual editor for processing models, so you don’t have to edit ODDs by hand. Watch our screencast to see a demo (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_avRO-2Db2BwUI&d=DwIFaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=rG8zxOdssqSzDRz4x1GLlmLOW60xyVXydxwnJZpkxbk&m=Mj34QWudHJnYEHQeVT25ZGmrqZCQy3YqitlOIVo6jao&s=iPp14iSqAUSSIACUSgkRG64l0PV_dn6ZkOsG_zdO8pw&e=)

    * support for formatting non-TEI documents. We think the TEI Processing Model is really too useful to limit it to TEI ;-) See the TEI Publisher documentation which is now written in docbook

    Happy Christmas,

    Wolfgang