Re: encoding a weird form of aside PS

Martin Mueller

Another reason, though, that I had forgotten about: spGrp isn’t in Tei simplePrint, which I’m trying to stick to. It’s a nice question whether spGrp ought to be in that schema. If my memory doesn’t trick me spGrp had its origin in some correspondence between Lou and me about problems of encoding 18th century libretti, where the joint articulation of musical and textual structures made something like spGrp a good solution.

Speech groupings of one kind or another are not uncommon in the literature for which the simplePrint was designed. So perhaps it would make sense to add that element. It is part of TEI Lite.

While I’m on the topic of that schema (whose name I still don’t like), its description in the Customization section of the web site is seriously misleading.  It says there that it is “focused primarily on the needs of those encoding Western European early modern printed material.”  The schema will work very well for moderately complex encoding of stuff written in any alphabet that is the descendant of the Greek alphabet or its Semitic ancestor and probably several other alphabets as well.

The treacherous word “simple” has also crept into the description of TEI Lite , which was never that lite and includes a lot more than “basic elements for simple documents.”

Over the course of the TEI Simple project I came to the conclusion that the interesting of that project was the Processing Model and that the schema was not sufficiently distinct from TEI Lite (or the DTA schema) to justify a separate existence. In my view the TEI Community would be well served by consolidating several current customizations in TEI Lite 2.0,  a single  version that would do for text encoding what a midsize SUV does for transportation or a family practice for medicine:  90% of the problems for 90% of the users (the original mantra of TEI Lite.

======

I guess my eyes are giving out. That settles that, and it works.

From: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list" <[hidden email]> on behalf of Lou Burnard <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, September 4, 2017 at 2:41 PM
To: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: encoding a weird form of aside

I think you'll find spGrp does too have a @type attribute.

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

From: James Cummings <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, September 4, 2017 at 1:32 PM
To: Martin Mueller <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Hi Martin,

Would this count as a <spGrp> perhaps?

James

--
Dr James Cummings, Academic IT Services, University of Oxford

On 4 Sep 2017 20:24, Martin Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have struggled with a clear but economical encoding of the following fragment from Ben Jonson’ Catiline:

  CATI. Did I appeare so tame, as this man thinkes me?
   Look'd I so poore? So dead? So like that nothing,
   Which he calls vertuous? O my breast, breake quickly;
   And shew my friends my in-parts, lest they thinke
   I haue betraid 'hem.   (LON.  Where's GABINIVS?  LEN.  Gone.
   LON. And VARGVNTEIVS?  LEN.  Slipt away; all shrunke:
   Now that he mist the  Consul-ship.)  CATI. I am
   The scorne of bond-men; who are next to beasts.
   What can I worse pronounce my selfe, that's s-fitter?
   The owle of  Rome, whom boyes, and girls will hout!
   That were I set vp, for that wooddengod,
   That keeps our gardens, could not fright the crowes,
   Or the least bird from muiting on my head.

The stuff within the parentheses seems to me to be whispered comments by Catiline’s followers.  There are several instances of this way of marking comments that in other texts would have been marked with some form of ‘aside’.   I ended up wrapping these sequences of asides in <floatingText type=”aside”> . This validates, but I’m not sure I like it, and it’s awfully verbose (though verbosity is not supposed to be a concern in XML).

Are there better ways of doing this?

Re: encoding a weird form of aside PS

Lou Burnard-6
Err no, sorry: spGrp is not included in TEI Lite either.