SIG Newspapers and Periodicals (was: Re: TEI newspapers!)

SIG Newspapers and Periodicals (was: Re: TEI newspapers!)

Kampkaspar, Dario

Dear all,

as this year's TEI conference draws on apace, I'd like to pick up on last year's preparations: As far as I can see, no meeting of those interested in newspapers and periodicals has been planned and the SIG has not yet been formally founded. Given my own interest*, I boldly assume there are others who want to further all aspects of editing and studying periodicals within (and outside of) the TEI.

Therefore, drawing on Sinai Rusinek's initiative and the first meeting last year here in Vienna, I’d propose a meeting of all those interested in order to move forward in officially establishing a SIG Newspapers and Periodicals.

As far as I know, a room would be available parallel to the other SIG meetings. This would be the ideal opportunity to talk about our current projects and to prepare the official description for the Council in order to as for the official creation of the SIG.

Hoping to see you in Victoria,

All best,

Dario Kampkaspar

* The Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities at the Austrian Academy of Sciences has recently started a project to provide access to the »Wiennerisches Diarium«, the world’s oldest newspaper still existing. Initially, more than 400 issues spanning from 1703 to 1799 are to be made available as TEI encoded full texts. Learn more at https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/acdh/projects/wiennerisches-diarium-digital/

Dario Kampkaspar

Wiennerisches Diarium KONDE

Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities

Sonnenfelsgasse 19

1010 Wien

Tel.: +43 1 51581-2227

Re: SIG Newspapers and Periodicals (was: Re: TEI newspapers!)

Martin Holmes
Hi there,

I will add this SIG meeting to the formal schedule.

On 2017-10-30 07:51 AM, Kampkaspar, Dario wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> as this year's TEI conference draws on apace, I'd like to pick up on
> last year's preparations: As far as I can see, no meeting of those
> interested in newspapers and periodicals has been planned and the SIG
> has not yet been formally founded. Given my own interest*, I boldly
> assume there are others who want to further all aspects of editing and
> studying periodicals within (and outside of) the TEI.
>
> Therefore, drawing on Sinai Rusinek's initiative and the first meeting
> last year here in Vienna, I’d propose a meeting of all those interested
> in order to move forward in officially establishing a SIG Newspapers and
> Periodicals.
>
> As far as I know, a room would be available parallel to the other SIG
> meetings. This would be the ideal opportunity to talk about our current
> projects and to prepare the official description for the Council in
> order to as for the official creation of the SIG.
>
> Hoping to see you in Victoria,
>
> All best,
>
> Dario Kampkaspar
>
> * The Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities at the Austrian Academy of
> Sciences has recently started a project to provide access to the
> »Wiennerisches Diarium«, the world’s oldest newspaper still existing.
> Initially, more than 400 issues spanning from 1703 to 1799 are to be
> made available as TEI encoded full texts. Learn more at
> https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/acdh/projects/wiennerisches-diarium-digital/
>
> Dario Kampkaspar
>
> /Wiennerisches Diarium /•/KONDE/
>
> Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities
>
> Sonnenfelsgasse 19
>
> 1010 Wien
>
> Tel.: +43 1 51581-2227

Re: SIG Newspapers and Periodicals (was: Re: TEI newspapers!)

Elisabeth Burr-2
Hi,

we at my chair in Leipzig have been working all the time with
newspapers and have a lot of interest in this sig. Sadly enough, none
of us can be at the TEI conference.

Best Elisabeth

Prof. Dr. Elisabeth Burr
Universität Leipzig

Re: SIG Newspapers and Periodicals (was: Re: TEI newspapers!)

Kampkaspar, Dario
Hi Martin,

thanks very much!

All best,
Dario

On 2017-10-30 07:51 AM, Kampkaspar, Dario wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> as this year's TEI conference draws on apace, I'd like to pick up on
> last year's preparations: As far as I can see, no meeting of those
> interested in newspapers and periodicals has been planned and the SIG
> has not yet been formally founded. Given my own interest*, I boldly
> assume there are others who want to further all aspects of editing and
> studying periodicals within (and outside of) the TEI.
>
> Therefore, drawing on Sinai Rusinek's initiative and the first meeting
> last year here in Vienna, I’d propose a meeting of all those interested
> in order to move forward in officially establishing a SIG Newspapers and
> Periodicals.
>
> As far as I know, a room would be available parallel to the other SIG
> meetings. This would be the ideal opportunity to talk about our current
> projects and to prepare the official description for the Council in
> order to as for the official creation of the SIG.
>
> Hoping to see you in Victoria,
>
> All best,
>
> Dario Kampkaspar
>
> * The Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities at the Austrian Academy of
> Sciences has recently started a project to provide access to the
> »Wiennerisches Diarium«, the world’s oldest newspaper still existing.
> Initially, more than 400 issues spanning from 1703 to 1799 are to be
> made available as TEI encoded full texts. Learn more at
> https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/acdh/projects/wiennerisches-diarium-digital/
>
> Dario Kampkaspar
>
> /Wiennerisches Diarium /•/KONDE/
>
> Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities
>
> Sonnenfelsgasse 19
>
> 1010 Wien
>
> Tel.: +43 1 51581-2227

Re: SIG Newspapers and Periodicals (was: Re: TEI newspapers!)

Torsten Roeder

the same applies to me, I am using newspapers as primary source, and as stated in Vienna, I am much interested in establishing such a SIG. However, I will not be able to join you in Victoria, but I would like to emphasize my interest here. Please keep me updated, if you have any group documents to share, like last year, I would love to contribute something.

All the best,
Torsten

Torsten Roeder
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Richard Wagner Schriften

Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg
Institut für Musikforschung
Domerschulstraße 13
D-97070 Würzburg

Tel  +49 (0)931 31-85167
Mail [hidden email]
WWW  http://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-wuerzburg.de/rws

>>> Elisabeth Burr <[hidden email]> 30.10.17 19.08 Uhr >>>
Hi,

we at my chair in Leipzig have been working all the time with
newspapers and have a lot of interest in this sig. Sadly enough, none
of us can be at the TEI conference.

Best Elisabeth

Zitat von Martin Holmes <[hidden email]>:

> Hi there,
>
> I will add this SIG meeting to the formal schedule.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On 2017-10-30 07:51 AM, Kampkaspar, Dario wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> as this year's TEI conference draws on apace, I'd like to pick up
>> on last year's preparations: As far as I can see, no meeting of
>> those interested in newspapers and periodicals has been planned and
>> the SIG has not yet been formally founded. Given my own interest*,
>> I boldly assume there are others who want to further all aspects of
>> editing and studying periodicals within (and outside of) the TEI.
>>
>> Therefore, drawing on Sinai Rusinek's initiative and the first
>> meeting last year here in Vienna, I’d propose a meeting of all
>> those interested in order to move forward in officially
>> establishing a SIG Newspapers and Periodicals.
>>
>> As far as I know, a room would be available parallel to the other
>> SIG meetings. This would be the ideal opportunity to talk about our
>> current projects and to prepare the official description for the
>> Council in order to as for the official creation of the SIG.
>>
>> Hoping to see you in Victoria,
>>
>> All best,
>>
>> Dario Kampkaspar
>>
>> * The Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities at the Austrian
>> Academy of Sciences has recently started a project to provide
>> access to the »Wiennerisches Diarium«, the world’s oldest newspaper
>> still existing. Initially, more than 400 issues spanning from 1703
>> to 1799 are to be made available as TEI encoded full texts. Learn
>> more at
>> https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/acdh/projects/wiennerisches-diarium-digital/
>>
>> Dario Kampkaspar
>>
>> /Wiennerisches Diarium /•/KONDE/
>>
>> Austrian Centre for Digital Humanities
>>
>> Sonnenfelsgasse 19
>>
>> 1010 Wien
>>
>> Tel.: +43 1 51581-2227

Prof. Dr. Elisabeth Burr
Universität Leipzig

Re: SIG Newspapers and Periodicals (was: Re: TEI newspapers!)

tardigradae
Dear all,

The same applies to me :-) I am deeply involved in modelling early Arabic newspapers and journals in TEI and would be very much interested in joining any future SIG. I would deeply appreciate if kept in the loop and would equally love to contribute.

All the best,

Till

Till Grallert, PhD
Research Associate