Scmidt's comments on Gaylord

peterr
Desmond Schmidt writes of Harry Gaylord's comments:

> So according to you everything is just great. We don't have to make any
>improvements. Well, I don't think it's great because it doesn't do what I
>want. TEI's system for coding variants at the moment is wooly, and
>difficult to implement, as well as encouraging inaccuracy in their
>representation.

It doesn't seem to me that Harry Gaylord said that 'everything is just
great':  I took his note as stating that a lot has been done, but there
is still a lot to do.  At the least, we should make it our business to
learn what has been done.  Have you actually *read* the full treatment
of critical apparatus in Chapter 19 of the TEI Guidelines? (not the
abbreviated account in my 'Transcription of Primary Sources Using SGML'
book but the full account as published earlier this week).  So far as
not doing what you want is concerned:  My own impression is that there
is nothing in what you have described as your needs in earlier messages
which could not be encoded using the tei methods described (especially,
double end-point attachment). We would all be grateful for an exact
statement of what you find 'wooly' in the tei system of encoding
variants. So far as being 'difficult to implement' is concerned: well,
it depends what software you have. I have no trouble generating rather
massive, and very precise, tei-encoded apparatus from Collate.  One
could use macros in a word-processor, or a full sgml editor, to encode
trancriptions with embedded app and rdg elements etc.

And finally: I am rather astonished to hear that anything whatever
anywhere in the TEI guidelines (not just the chapters on transcription
and critical apparatus) could be taken as 'encouraging inaccuracy'.

Peter Robinson