Should roleName be att.datable?

Martin Holmes
Hi all,

Does anyone else find it strange that <roleName> is not datable? It
seems like a core property of a role such as Prime Minister, Earl,
Duchess or whatever that it starts at a particular point in a person's
life and often ends before they die.

Am I missing some obvious mechanism for capturing this, or should I
raise a ticket to add roleName to add.datable?

-------------------------------------
Humanities Computing and Media Centre
University of Victoria

Re: Should roleName be att.datable?

Frederik Elwert-2
Dear Martin,

I guess that the typical place to record this is the <state> element (or
more specific elements like <occupation>). In contrast to <trait>, these
are actually designed to be limited in time.

But I agree that it’s an interesting question how to model the
dependence of a <roleName> on a particular <state>. I guess one could
use something like

<state from="1704" to="1708">
   <desc>
     <roleName>Prime minister</roleName>
   </desc>
</state>

or use @corresp to point from a roleName to the corresponding (dated) state.

But of course this all primarily works in a prosopographical context
where you have a <person> element that holds all this information, not
if all you want to encode is the mentioning of a role name.

Best,
Frederik

--
Dr. Frederik Elwert

Digital Humanities Coordinator
Center for Religious Studies
Ruhr-University Bochum

Universitätsstr. 90a
D-44780 Bochum

Phone +49(0)234 32-23024

https://dh.ceres.rub.de/

Re: Should roleName be att.datable?

Martin Holmes
Hi Frederik,

The relationship between <state> and <roleName> is an intriguing one. I
don't think they're the same thing; a <roleName> may or may not reflect
a change of state, and may not coincide exactly with the change of state
that accompanies it (someone may assume a set of duties long before they
are officially assigned the roleName that reflects those duties), and a
roleName may not reflect any change of actual state at all.

We are using <person> elements, so <state> is an option, but I think a
datable roleName would be much more straightforward than invoking <state>.

--
Humanities Computing and Media Centre
University of Victoria
[hidden email]