TEI-C and TAPAS Elections Reset

Dalmau, Michelle Denise
Dear all,

We have closed the TEI-C and TAPAS elections for 2018 and will be issuing new ballots in the coming days. We did have 5 votes recorded and will reach out to make sure those who voted and will vote again.

Thanks to an email from Martin Mueller, we realized that only one ballot instead of two was issued from OpaVote.  According to our Bylaws, institutional-level members are eligible to vote for the Board along with Council and TAPAS. However, all other membership levels including individual members are eligible to vote for Council and TAPAS.

Over the years the Board has discussed pros and cons of voting eligibility. Every year, issuing ballots are a source of stress as all the pieces to make it work correctly are distributed across systems not to mention institutional memory. Since 2015, the Board has been actively documenting all of our procedures and protocols on the wiki, but we have yet to catch up to over 15 years of processes.

I apologize for this mishap and thankfully we are were able to recover sooner than later. Please stay tuned for a message from the Nominating and Elections Committee once the new ballots are issued.  Emails will be sent to TEI-L, OpaVote and the membership system, Wild Apricot.

Again, with deepest apologies,
Michelle

Fixed and moveable dates in the Church calendar

Birnbaum, David J
Dear TEI-L,

I'm tagging information from medieval hymnographic manuscripts, where many of the texts are assigned to dates in the Church calendar, and I'd like to be able to search for records in the corpus by date. Some components of the services are tied to fixed calendar dates, e.g., "November 1", and I can tag those in a formalized manner with <date @when="--11-01">. But others are tied to moveable dates, e.g., "Second Sunday after Easter". I can describe those in prose, of course, but it would be easier to maintain consistency among the multiple taggers in the project if there were a concise formula for the moveable dates, comparable to the ISO date that we can use for fixed dates. I'd be grateful for suggestions or examples from similar TEI projects.

Thanks,

David

Re: Fixed and moveable dates in the Church calendar

Paterson, Duncan
Dear David,

I thought thats what @when-custorm was for. You would need to define church calendar so you end up with something along the lines of:
date[@calendar=“liturgical” @when-custom=“east-14”]

Greetings
Duncan

On 2. Nov 2017, at 10:28, Birnbaum, David J <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear TEI-L,

I'm tagging information from medieval hymnographic manuscripts, where many of the texts are assigned to dates in the Church calendar, and I'd like to be able to search for records in the corpus by date. Some components of the services are tied to fixed calendar dates, e.g., "November 1", and I can tag those in a formalized manner with <date @when="--11-01">. But others are tied to moveable dates, e.g., "Second Sunday after Easter". I can describe those in prose, of course, but it would be easier to maintain consistency among the multiple taggers in the project if there were a concise formula for the moveable dates, comparable to the ISO date that we can use for fixed dates. I'd be grateful for suggestions or examples from similar TEI projects.

Thanks,

David

Re: Fixed and moveable dates in the Church calendar

Marjorie Burghart-2
About the liturgical calendar, you might consider using an existing list of occasions. I know the one used in Schneyer's 'Repertorium der lateinischen Sermones des Mittelalters', with a siglum for each occasion. I might have the list in digital format, if you are interested do get in touch in private email.
Best regards,
Marjorie

David

Re: Fixed and moveable dates in the Church calendar

Martin Holmes
Hi Lou,

I seem to remember that older versions of ISO 8601 allowed for partial
dates (October 10, year unknown; the 10th of something in 1901). This
was done by using dashes for the missing bit. So there's at least a
history of allowing dates which can't be resolved precisely to be
encoded with our dating attributes.

On 2017-11-02 03:56 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:

> Maybe I am being needlessly precise, but I thought these attributes
> (like the others members of att.dating)  were intended to normalize the
> referent of a date to its expression in  some calendar, i.e. their value
> should indicate a specific point in time, not a generic named point on a
> calendar. You can't (obviously) know which actual point in time the
> second Sunday  after Easter is, unless you know when Easter is, and that
> will depend which year you are in, amongst other arcana. Of course this
> is not a distinction that you may always wish (or be able) to make, but
> I wonder whether using the normalizing attributes is appropriate?
>
>   On 02/11/17 10:44, Paterson, Duncan wrote:
>> Dear David,
>>
>> I thought thats what @when-custorm was for. You would need to define
>> church calendar so you end up with something along the lines of:
>> date[@calendar=“liturgical” @when-custom=“east-14”]
>>
>> Greetings
>> Duncan
>>

>>> On 2. Nov 2017, at 10:28, Birnbaum, David J <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear TEI-L,
>>>
>>> I'm tagging information from medieval hymnographic manuscripts, where
>>> many of the texts are assigned to dates in the Church calendar, and
>>> I'd like to be able to search for records in the corpus by date. Some
>>> components of the services are tied to fixed calendar dates, e.g.,
>>> "November 1", and I can tag those in a formalized manner with <date
>>> @when="--11-01">. But others are tied to moveable dates, e.g.,
>>> "Second Sunday after Easter". I can describe those in prose, of
>>> course, but it would be easier to maintain consistency among the
>>> multiple taggers in the project if there were a concise formula for
>>> the moveable dates, comparable to the ISO date that we can use for
>>> fixed dates. I'd be grateful for suggestions or examples from similar
>>> TEI projects.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> David

Re: Fixed and moveable dates in the Church calendar

Paterson, Duncan
I just realised my example might have been off.

date @datingMethod=“liturgical” @when-custom=“xxx-xx”

@lou I agree that combining @when-custom with @when is best whenever it is possible. But if the text e.g. just walks through the liturgical calendar to recommend sunday prayers, just @when-custom is the way to go, imv. As long as calendarDesc actually explains your normalized calendar. This has the advantage that you can easily determine how many (sun-)days have passed between "xmas-02" and "lent-05"

P.S.: I m just improvising possible attribute values, I ve never tried to encode liturgical dates, but I d be surprised if no one has.