TEI Extension for Literary Analysis

Mandell, Laura C. Dr.
TEI Extension for Literary Analysis Dear All:

I posted last week about editing .rnc rather than ODD, and so I wanted to let you know that the extensions of TEI for which I needed to do this editing are now available on the TEI Tools Wiki under “Articles: Poetry Visualization Tool.”

Here is the opening synopsis from that article:

In collaboration with Digital Artist Ira Greenberg, I am building a Poetry Visualization Tool (http://unixgen.muohio.edu/~poetess/vmodel/vmodel.html).  He is building the visualizations in the Processing language; I am encoding the poetry to be visualized in an xml code that is an extension of TEI, with "pa" (Poetess Archive, http://unixgen.muohio.edu/~poetess) elements added into it.  What I offer to the TEI membership is not the processing code but the extended TEI and its schema that can be used to code the meter, sound, tropology, and syntax of poetry.

The extended tag set and its schema are available here: http://www.4shared.com/file/213276484/156f569f/sampleCoding.htm
In this folder, you will find four extended-TEI documents coding one poem: one encodes its meter (see meterOde.xml), one its syntax (syntaxOde.xml), one its literary figures (tropologyOde.xml), and one its sound (soundOde.xml).  The schema, PAViz.rnc, contains all the added elements and attributes.  The tagset is derived from traditional terms for literary analysis and scansion.  The syntax draws on linguistic analyses, but it simplifies, abstracts, and focuses on aspects of the syntax in which literary critics are most often interested.  XSLTs are included that in my view reveal how versatile xml documents can be in “deformative reading”: manipulating texts to better reveal their deep structures.

Since the schema can validate all four versions, you may ask, why bother making four documents?  Answer: Overlapping hierarchies.  Standoff markup would be a better solution than encoding four versions, and so I look forward to the development of Peter Shillingsburg's CaTT tool (http://www.ctsdh.luc.edu).

I would love to know of other similar developments so that I may bring my work into sync with them, and of course please report any errors (mandellc@...).

Best, Laura Mandell

On 1/27/10 5:49 PM, "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@...> wrote:

On 27 Jan 2010, at 17:12, Mandell, Laura C. Dr. wrote:

> Is there any way to go from an .rnc schema BACK to an ODDS file?  I have Vesta, but I’m pretty sure it only goes the other way.

short answer: No.

long answer: You could extrapolate an ODD from a RELAXNG grammar if you really had to, but it would be painful. You might get lucky and have it working quickly, but in geherality it would be non-trivial.

The last time I did something similar, I basically did it by hand with search and replace.

--
Sebastian Rahtz

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente