TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

ron.vandenbranden
Administrator
Hi all,

Thanks to the patient help of Jason Hunter (MarkMail) and Hugo Teixeira
(Nabble), the TEI-L archive is now mirrored properly on:
     -MarkMail: <http://markmail.org/list/edu.brown.listserv.tei-l>
     -Nabble: <http://tei-l.970651.n3.nabble.com/>

Both contain the full TEI-L archive and are actively accumulating all
new messages that are being posted. It has taken some extra spare time
to fix (or at least improve on) the character encoding issues of my
previous effort, but the result should look much better now. Thanks for
the hints on character encoding on this list. For the record: I have
taken the manual route Martin suggested, using the excellent Notepad++
editor to convert all 15K+ messages to UTF-8 and spot encoding
difficulties. It won't be perfect, but hopefully good enough to be of use.

Kind regards,

Ron

--
Ron Van den Branden
Wetenschappelijk attaché / Senior Researcher

Centrum voor Teksteditie en Bronnenstudie - CTB (KANTL)
Centre for Scholarly Editing and Document Studies
Koninklijke Academie voor Nederlandse Taal- en Letterkunde
Royal Academy of Dutch Language and Literature
Koningstraat 18 / b-9000 Gent / Belgium
tel: +32 9 265 93 51 / fax: +32 9 265 93 49
E-mail : [hidden email]
www.kantl.be/ctb

Re: TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco
Il giorno mer, 26/01/2011 alle 10.33 +0100, Ron Van den Branden ha
scritto:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to the patient help of Jason Hunter (MarkMail) and Hugo Teixeira
> (Nabble), the TEI-L archive is now mirrored properly on:
>      -MarkMail: <http://markmail.org/list/edu.brown.listserv.tei-l>
>      -Nabble: <http://tei-l.970651.n3.nabble.com/>
>
> Both contain the full TEI-L archive and are actively accumulating all
> new messages that are being posted. It has taken some extra spare time
> to fix (or at least improve on) the character encoding issues of my
> previous effort, but the result should look much better now. Thanks for
> the hints on character encoding on this list. For the record: I have
> taken the manual route Martin suggested, using the excellent Notepad++
> editor to convert all 15K+ messages to UTF-8 and spot encoding
> difficulties. It won't be perfect, but hopefully good enough to be of use.

Thanks a lot guys :)

Ciao

        Roberto

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze         rosselli at ling.unipi.it
del Linguaggio                  Then spoke the thunder  DA
Universita' di Torino           Datta: what have we given?  (TSE)

  Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
  mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)

Re: TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

Joe Wicentowski
Ron,

> Thanks to the patient help of Jason Hunter (MarkMail) and Hugo Teixeira
> (Nabble), the TEI-L archive is now mirrored properly on:
>    -MarkMail: <http://markmail.org/list/edu.brown.listserv.tei-l>
>    -Nabble: <http://tei-l.970651.n3.nabble.com/>

That's wonderful, and thank you for your painstaking efforts in
addressing the encoding issues!

Let me note that markmail has a handy URL shortcut feature for lists
(and groups of related lists).  You can search the TEI list at this
http://tei.markmail.org/

Cheers,
Joe

Re: TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

Hi Ron,

Thanks for this work. 15K messages converted manually in Notepad++! I'm
in awe.

On 11-01-26 01:33 AM, Ron Van den Branden wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to the patient help of Jason Hunter (MarkMail) and Hugo Teixeira
> (Nabble), the TEI-L archive is now mirrored properly on:
>       -MarkMail:<http://markmail.org/list/edu.brown.listserv.tei-l>
>       -Nabble:<http://tei-l.970651.n3.nabble.com/>
>
> Both contain the full TEI-L archive and are actively accumulating all
> new messages that are being posted. It has taken some extra spare time
> to fix (or at least improve on) the character encoding issues of my
> previous effort, but the result should look much better now. Thanks for
> the hints on character encoding on this list. For the record: I have
> taken the manual route Martin suggested, using the excellent Notepad++
> editor to convert all 15K+ messages to UTF-8 and spot encoding
> difficulties. It won't be perfect, but hopefully good enough to be of use.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ron

Encoding Triple-Decker Novels

Mandell, Laura C. Dr.
Dear TEI-L:

Does anyone know of a 3-volume 18th/19th-century novel that has been encoded
in TEI?  We could use an example for re-coding some materials in Romantic
Circles.

Thanks in advance,
Laura Mandell

Re: Encoding Triple-Decker Novels

Paul Schaffner
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Mandell, Laura C. Dr. wrote:

> Does anyone know of a 3-volume 18th/19th-century novel that has been encoded
> in TEI?  We could use an example for re-coding some materials in Romantic
> Circles.

Laura, if you think the encoding qualifies as "TEI", there are
a number of multi-volume works, including novels, amongst the
ECCO-TCP  files currently in your possession, e.g.

Sophia Lee, "The Recess" (3 vols.)
Samuel Jackson Pratt, "Emma Corbett" (3 vols.)
Samuel Richardson "The History of Sir Charles Grandison" (7 vols.)
Henry Fielding, "The History of Tom Jones" (a novel in 3 vols.)
Samuel Richardson, "Clarissa" (a novel in 7 vols.)
Thomas Holcroft "The Adventures of Hugh Trevor" (6 vols.)
John Trusler, "Life, or the adventures of William Ramble" (3 vols.)
Elizabeth Griffith, "The History of Lady Barton" (3 vols.)
Charlotte Smith, "Celestina" (3 vols.)
Charlotte Lennox, "Euphemia" (novel: vols. 1-3 of 4, vol. 4 in limbo)
Fanny Burney, "Cecilia" (a novel in 5 vols.)
Charlotte Lennox, "Hermione, or the orphan sisters" (a novel in 3 vols.)
Charlotte Lennox, "The History of Sir George Warrington" (a novel in 3
   vols.)
Mrs. Inchbald "Appearance is against them" (a play in 3 vols.)

pfs
Paul Schaffner | [hidden email] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/
316-C Hatcher Library N, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1190

Re: TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

Christian Wittern-6
On 2011-01-26 21:48, Joe Wicentowski wrote:

> Ron,
>

>> Thanks to the patient help of Jason Hunter (MarkMail) and Hugo Teixeira
>> (Nabble), the TEI-L archive is now mirrored properly on:
>>     -MarkMail:<http://markmail.org/list/edu.brown.listserv.tei-l>
>>     -Nabble:<http://tei-l.970651.n3.nabble.com/>
>>
> That's wonderful, and thank you for your painstaking efforts in
> addressing the encoding issues!

Indeed, many thanks, especially for the solving of encoding issues.

> http://tei.markmail.org/

Interesting.  And here[1] you get an all-time high score list of the top
24 posters.  I guess if Peters' crufty code where processing this
archive, the top part would look just a bit different, although he got
it almost right:-)

All the best,

Christian

[1] http://tei.markmail.org/search/?q=

--
  Christian Wittern

On 2011-01-27 11:14, Christian Wittern wrote:
> Interesting.  And here[1] you get an all-time high score list of the
> top 24 posters.  I guess if Peters' crufty code where processing this
> archive, the top part would look just a bit different, although he got
> it almost right:-)
> [1] http://tei.markmail.org/search/?q=

Ah well, I just realized that you need to turn off Javascript to see
this list of top posters, otherwise you get only the top 6.  Well,
turning off Javascript is a good idea anyway.

Christian (in another disguised attempt to improve the high-score;-)

--
  Christian Wittern

Re: TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

Conal Tuohy-2
HTML is too easy! ;-)
Here's the high-score table in XML:
http://tei.markmail.org/facets.xqy?q=&type=senders&extended=true&mode=xml

On 27/01/11 13:17, Christian Wittern wrote:

> On 2011-01-27 11:14, Christian Wittern wrote:
>> Interesting.  And here[1] you get an all-time high score list of the
>> top 24 posters.  I guess if Peters' crufty code where processing this
>> archive, the top part would look just a bit different, although he
>> got it almost right:-)
>> [1] http://tei.markmail.org/search/?q=
>>
> Ah well, I just realized that you need to turn off Javascript to see
> this list of top posters, otherwise you get only the top 6.  Well,
> turning off Javascript is a good idea anyway.
>
> Christian (in another disguised attempt to improve the high-score;-)

--
Conal Tuohy
eResearch Business Analyst
Victorian eResearch Strategic Initiative
+61-466324297

Re: TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

James Cummings
Conal,

That is a shameless attempt to boost your own ranking. *innocent cough*

I'm glad to see Oxford so well represented, of course, but we should of course remember the difference between quantity and quality. ;-)

This doesn't do citation or reply analysis to tell us who starts threads most frequently or ends them, or replies most or whatnot. Nor email address change of course. Can anyone recommend such mailing list software like web analysis software? There seems to be a bewildering array of such things.

James "happy with his ranking" Cummngs

Conal Tuohy <[hidden email]> wrote:

HTML is too easy! ;-)
Here's the high-score table in XML:
http://tei.markmail.org/facets.xqy?q=&type=senders&extended=true&mode=xml

On 27/01/11 13:17, Christian Wittern wrote:

> On 2011-01-27 11:14, Christian Wittern wrote:
>> Interesting.  And here[1] you get an all-time high score list of the
>> top 24 posters.  I guess if Peters' crufty code where processing this
>> archive, the top part would look just a bit different, although he
>> got it almost right:-)
>> [1] http://tei.markmail.org/search/?q=
>>
> Ah well, I just realized that you need to turn off Javascript to see
> this list of top posters, otherwise you get only the top 6.  Well,
> turning off Javascript is a good idea anyway.
>
> Christian (in another disguised attempt to improve the high-score;-)

--
Conal Tuohy
eResearch Business Analyst
Victorian eResearch Strategic Initiative
+61-466324297

Re: TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

Sewell, David R. (drs2n)
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Christian Wittern wrote:

> On 2011-01-27 11:14, Christian Wittern wrote:
> > Interesting.  And here[1] you get an all-time high score list of the top 24
> > posters.  I guess if Peters' crufty code where processing this archive, the
> > top part would look just a bit different, although he got it almost right:-)
> > [1] http://tei.markmail.org/search/?q=
> >
> Ah well, I just realized that you need to turn off Javascript to see this list
> of top posters, otherwise you get only the top 6.  Well, turning off
> Javascript is a good idea anyway.

Actually, if you play around with your browser window sizing, you'll see
that MarkMail makes heavy use of viewport size detection to change
layout on the fly. The "Who Sent It?" list grows as you increase the
height of the browser window. If you have a wide-screen monitor, also
try increasing the browser window to full width: a new information
column appears. And vice-versa. It is a clever use of Javascript to
tailor the amount of information presented to available resources on the
client side.

DS

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA
Email: [hidden email]   Tel: +1 434 924 9973

Re: TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

Matt Zimmerman
I'm just proud I made the top 100. I will have to keep posting to stay there.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:21 AM, James Cummings
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Conal,
>
> That is a shameless attempt to boost your own ranking. *innocent cough*
>
> I'm glad to see Oxford so well represented, of course, but we should of course remember the difference between quantity and quality. ;-)
>
> This doesn't do citation or reply analysis to tell us who starts threads most frequently or ends them, or replies most or whatnot. Nor email address change of course. Can anyone recommend such mailing list software like web analysis software? There seems to be a bewildering array of such things.
>
> James "happy with his ranking" Cummngs
>

> Conal Tuohy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> HTML is too easy! ;-)
> Here's the high-score table in XML:
> http://tei.markmail.org/facets.xqy?q=&type=senders&extended=true&mode=xml
>
> On 27/01/11 13:17, Christian Wittern wrote:
>> On 2011-01-27 11:14, Christian Wittern wrote:
>>> Interesting.  And here[1] you get an all-time high score list of the
>>> top 24 posters.  I guess if Peters' crufty code where processing this
>>> archive, the top part would look just a bit different, although he
>>> got it almost right:-)
>>> [1] http://tei.markmail.org/search/?q=
>>>
>> Ah well, I just realized that you need to turn off Javascript to see
>> this list of top posters, otherwise you get only the top 6.  Well,
>> turning off Javascript is a good idea anyway.
>>
>> Christian (in another disguised attempt to improve the high-score;-)
>>

> --
> Conal Tuohy
> eResearch Business Analyst
> Victorian eResearch Strategic Initiative
> +61-466324297

Re: TEI-L mirrors: polished and shining

Birnbaum, David J

Dear TEI-L,

How about those triple- and even quadruple-dippers? As for this morning:

8 = 25 = 28 = 51

2 = 27 = 35 = 79

41 = 71 = 89

If ever there was an urgent need for more sophisticated analytics ...

Proud to be #47,

David