TEI Publisher 5.0.0 and eXist-db 5.0.0 RC8

TEI Publisher 5.0.0 and eXist-db 5.0.0 RC8

Magdalena Turska

Dear all,

It is my pleasure to announce a new 5.0.0 release of the TEI Publisher, accompanying the new release candidate of eXist-db 5.0.0 RC8.

This is major release building on the faceting feature added in eXist-db 5.0.0 RC8 and introducing Word document import and draft coverage of DTS API. Visit the TEI Publisher homepage or try out the docker image to play around with it and see our demo editions. Full release announcement can be found here.

During the past few years a growing number of projects from small to large have adopted TEI Publisher and even more projects use eXist-db. It gives us all not only the opportunity but also the responsibility to make these open source projects thrive for years to come and to make it truly sustainable option for TEI publishing!

While we are very happy with the achievements so far, we still have a much broader vision to fulfill, see Publisher’s roadmap for details. To make this happen we invite the community to contribute to the project - by means of code, ideas, documentation, tutorials and funding.

Release Highlights: Facets

Facets allow to quickly drill down into the result set. Checking options from the list of predefined categories causes non-matching entries disappear from sight.

Facets are a new feature in eXist 5.0.0. They are super fast because no extra computation is needed when the user clicks on a facet to drill down into a displayed set: all information is already available in the index. By default TEI Publisher configures two facets: Genre and Language while Van Gogh demo presents a more elaborate example of facets in action.

Our thanks go to Office of the Historian of the United States Department of State for funding a large part of work on the faceting feature for eXist-db.

Van Gogh demo

The Van Gogh edition is often considered a model example for correspondence. Following the recent release of XML sources for all the letters we've decided to pay tribute to this excellent resource by showcasing the new faceting feature of eXist 5.0.0 as well as the dynamic, multi column display of the original Van Gogh website using the webcomponents provided by TEI Publisher in a playful styling.

We are very grateful to the Van Gogh Museum & Huygens ING for releasing XML source files of Vincent Van Gogh letters under an open licence which allowed us to use this data.

DOCX import

New docx module based on custom ODD for docx to TEI transformation is available for importing documents in docx format, preserving their textual content, structure and basic semantics of the text. TEI Publisher preserves document divisions and headings, lists, tables, embedded images, foot- and endnotes, as well as recognizes styles whose names start with tei: as TEI elements with the same name.

DTS API

TEI Publisher now implements a Distributed Text Services client and exposes core endpoints of DTS API. Custom dts-client component allows for browsing remote DTS server collections and documents which are rendered via TEI Publisher's ODD.

Other New Features and Bug Fixes

  • New pb-toggle-feature UI component for switching between two states of a parameter passed to ODD, e.g. normalized and diplomatic view

  • Coverage for embedding TEI Publisher output components in other websites (e.g. WordPress)

  • Removed dependency on monex and calls to deprecated map functions

  • i18n: Performance improvements, support for multiple catalogue files for a single language, Dutch translation

  • Fixed DocBook support for generated apps

  • Simplified login configuration

  • New field definitions for metadata in index config

  • Support for page breaks in non-TEI vocabularies

Get It!

TEI Publisher 5.0.0 is available as an application package on top of the eXist XML Database. Install it into a recent eXist (5.0.0 RC8 or newer) by going to the dashboard and selecting TEI Publisher from the package manager. Alternatively you may want to try out docker image, which includes everything required.

For more information refer to the documentation or visit the homepage to play around with it.

Thanks

TEI Publisher and showcase apps are primarily funded and developed by eXist Solutions GmbH.

Our thanks go to Office of the Historian of the United States Department of State for funding a large part of work on the faceting feature for eXist-db.

We are also grateful to the Van Gogh Museum & Huygens ING for releasing XML source files of Vincent Van Gogh letters under an open licence which allowed us to use this data as our demo samples. Same goes for EEBO-TCP and Bodleian First Folio, already protagonists of TEI Publisher demos for a longer time.

Happy hacking,

Magdalena