TEI Transviewer

Florentina Armaselu

Dear all,

We would like to present the TEI Transviewer, a tool for the transformation of XML-TEI documents so that they can be viewed in the browser. It is intended to facilitate the exploration of historical documents through side-by-side and single view of transcription and digital facsimile, synchronised scrolling and zooming, page and structural navigation, linear and diplomatic transcription view, free text search and search by categories of named entities (persons, organisations, places, dates), etc.

A few examples:

Note on the quantitative limitation of stockpiles of nuclear weapons (April 1966)

Compte rendu de la quatrième réunion du groupe de travail sur la production et la standardisation des armements (Paris, 31 janvier 1955)

Proposals for European flags from Arsène Heitz (1952–1955)

Our XML-TEI collection can be browsed via: https://www.cvce.eu/search?q=*&format=tei%2Bxml.

The TEI Transviewer is based on Java server-side XSLT transformation, Javascript and CSS. If this type of tool may be of interest for some of you, an open source release will be made available soon.

Kind regards,

Florentina Armaselu

Florentina Armaselu

Research Scientist, PhD

Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History

UNIVERSITÉ DU LUXEMBOURG
Maison des Sciences Humaines

11, Porte des Sciences

L-4366 Esch-Belval
T +352 46 66 44 9021
F +352 46 66 44 3 9021

[hidden email]www.uni.lu

Re: TEI Transviewer

Florentina Armaselu

Thank you, Lou and Robert for your messages.

At the moment, only one part of the Website is TEI-XML based (we are in a transition phase from a main PDF viewer to other alternatives, including the TEI viewer).

The functionality of displaying or downloading the TEI-XML source of the documents is not available in the current version of the Transviewer. The tool is integrated in a Back End / Front End architecture. The TEI-XML documents are uploaded onto the Back End (or generated via Back End scripts). During the publication on the Front End, the transformation from TEI-XML to XHTML is performed by means of XSLT stylesheets and a Java processor. The result of this transformation is then displayed on the Website via the Transviewer.

We also have an earlier version of the Transviewer allowing the transformation of TEI-XML to XHTML directly in the browser (which might allow as well visualising the TEI-XML code) but encountered some problems with the non-uniform support for XSLT 2.0 and Saxon CE in different browsers.

In this respect, the open source release we are preparing may be slightly different from the current version running on the Website. Suggestions and comments from the community are, of course, welcome.

Kind regards,
Florentina

On 12 July 2017 at 23:10, Robert Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

T <a href="tel:+352%2046%2066%2044%209021" value="+3524666449021" target="_blank">+352 46 66 44 9021
F +352 46 66 44 3 9021

[hidden email]www.uni.lu