TEI and legal texts

Georg Vogeler-2
Dear list,

for a potential project I'm investigating a TEI use case, Nick Finke
addressed in the late 1990s: marking up legal texts, i.e. what Nick
defined then as "primaray sources of law, i.e. codes, statutes,
regulations or court cases, the work products of many different types of
sovereigns, either presently in force or of historical value".
(http://cds.library.brown.edu/conferences/tei10/tei10.papers/finke.html)

But I cannot find any traces of people following his line, or using TEI
as is for the encoding of legal texts anyway in younger times. I came
across only some work on XML in legal texts in general (e.g. Akoma
Ntoso, or the work of Monica Palmirani). Am I looking at the wrong
places? Any suggestions where to restart my search?

Georg

Re: TEI and legal texts

Daniel O'Donnell-2

I know that legal texts are generally difficult (citation managers have a really hard time with them, for example), because they are highly structured but differ significantly and importantly on a jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction basis. This doesn't mean one can't abstract, just that it is hard to.

There was a Brazilian project that was looking into cross-national standards on this, at least bibliographically, but I think maybe also in terms XML. Don't remember the name right now.

U of Lethbridge Logo

Daniel Paul O'Donnell

Professor of English and Associate Member of the University Library Academic Staff

Editor, Digital Studies/Le champ numérique

Vice President, Force 11

Department of English and University Library

University of Lethbridge

4401 University Drive West

Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4

Canada