TEI for early book cataloging

Dot Porter-2
Hi everyone,

I've used the TEI a lot for describing manuscripts, but we have a project coming up for early printed books and we're trying to decide if we want to use TEI (which would be great!) or something else (MODS?). The books have been cataloged very robustly in MARC, so we're talking about converting from MARC into TEI (or whatever).

Are there any projects that have successfully used TEI to build robust bibliographies (including physical descriptors) of early printed books, either using msDesc or bibl?

Thanks,
Dot

--
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
Penn Manuscripts on Tumblr: http://upennmanuscripts.tumblr.com/
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: TEI for early book cataloging

jorge fins-2
Hi Dot,

The BVH project did it for France.
One example :

(link "Télécharger", then right-click on "TEI" to download it)

For the main corpus available online :

And for their guideline specific to this period (in French) :

Otherwise, e-rara project did a very good job too.

Best regards,
Jorge FIns

Le mardi 19 septembre 2017 à 20:10:25 UTC+2, Dot Porter <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi everyone,

I've used the TEI a lot for describing manuscripts, but we have a project coming up for early printed books and we're trying to decide if we want to use TEI (which would be great!) or something else (MODS?). The books have been cataloged very robustly in MARC, so we're talking about converting from MARC into TEI (or whatever).

Are there any projects that have successfully used TEI to build robust bibliographies (including physical descriptors) of early printed books, either using msDesc or bibl?

Thanks,
Dot

--
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
Digital Medievalist, Digital Librarian
Email: [hidden email]
Penn Manuscripts on Tumblr: http://upennmanuscripts.tumblr.com/
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: TEI for early book cataloging

Örn Hrafnkelsson-2
Hi Dot,

We here at the National and University Library in Iceland use TEI P5 for our historical Icelandic bibliography.

One item from the catalogue in our bibliography

https://bokaskra.landsbokasafn.is/detailXml/biblStruct/JonMag1734a

https://bokaskra.landsbokasafn.is/detail/biblStruct/JonMag1734a

We also use the same authority files in TEI in the historical bibliography and in cataloguing manuscripts; names, places and classes.

We are satisfied with how it works,

Best,

Örn.

Með kveðju,

Örn Hrafnkelsson, sviðsstjóri varðveislu og stafrænnar endurgerðar
netfang: mailto:[hidden email]
sími: 525-5631

Landsbókasafn Íslands - Háskólabókasafn | Arngrímsgötu 3 - 107 Reykjavík
Sími/Tel: +354 5255600 | www.landsbokasafn.is
fyrirvari/disclaimer - http://fyrirvari.landsbokasafn.is
I've used the TEI a lot for describing manuscripts, but we have a project coming up for early printed books and we're trying to decide if we want to use TEI (which would be great!) or something else (MODS?). The books have been cataloged very robustly in MARC, so we're talking about converting from MARC into TEI (or whatever).

Are there any projects that have successfully used TEI to build robust bibliographies (including physical descriptors) of early printed books, either using msDesc or bibl?

Thanks,
Dot

--
Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)